Question regarding pre-req classes for dental school

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Farion

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey everyone, this question might sound stupid but I just want to make sure. I tried doing a search and didn't find much. My question is when they say 1 year of biology, does that necessarily have to be basic level biology? My school doesn't have a traditional 1 year biology class, so I was looking at taking genetics and cell biology. Will this qualify as the pre-req? I took A&P I & II, Physics & chem I & II at a community college before this, but from what I read community college classes seem to not count towards pre-reqs.

Members don't see this ad.

That depends on the school actually because all the schools here in Texas will take cc credits

Oh I see, so should I be calling/emailing all the schools I am thinking about applying to and ask them? I checked the website and they all just say "1 year of [whatever class]", nothing more specific than that. So does that mean there are no stipulations?

Members don't see this ad :)
Your prereqs from community college will count for most dental schools, so don't worry about that too much.

For biology, generally you need 2 semesters of general biology or zoology. I have never heard of a college not offering this?

Some schools will take general microbiology 1 and 2 in lieu of gen bio, but you will have to check on this for each individual school you are looking into.

In the end you may have to take the bio prereqs at another school.

I looked again and they do offer one, it just wasn't something I recognized from other schools. I didn't pay enough attention. I'll be able to take upper level bio classes (cell bio and genetics) instead of these, so will those work? I appreciate the responses.

I looked again and they do offer one, it just wasn't something I recognized from other schools. I didn't pay enough attention. I'll be able to take upper level bio classes (cell bio and genetics) instead of these, so will those work? I appreciate the responses.

Again, you will have to check with individual schools. They are the only one that will be able to tell you for sure, nobody on this board has that knowledge.

However, my gut instinct says that you won't be able to substitute. Gen Bio 1 + 2 are very foundational in all aspects of biology, which is what the dental schools want and why they require it. Genetics and Cell Bio will be super helpful for dental school, but wont give you the breadth you need for the DAT and probably wont fulfill the requirements. But again, you will need to CALL the schools!!