question regarding PSLF

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

shetalweapon

ShetalWeapon
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I have a quick question regarding qualifying for PSLF. I have worked as a hospitalist attending making IDR payments going towards my PSLF for 3 years. I am now relocating as my husband has finished fellowship. The hospital that I work for is a nonprofit with a 501c3 tax exemption code however, the hospitalists that work there are technically hired by another party which doesn't have a tax exemption code. Do I still qualify since I would be working exclusively at a non-profit hospital?

Whether I qualify or not will have an impact on whether I take this job or not. I appreciate any advice!

Members don't see this ad.

Yeah, this is the thing that most people don’t think about in medicine. If you’re being paid through a not not-for-profit entity, then you don’t get the benefits of working for a not-for-profit institution. Which, actually, a lot of physician jobs are set up that way.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Many physician groups are for profit entities even if they work in a non-profit hospital system. Most that will qualify are teaching residents/academics.

It all depends on who writes your check. If that comes from a for profit group even if you work at a nonprofit, its not gonna qualify. Makes PSLF for Emergency Medicine damn hard to find,