• Set Yourself Up For Success Webinar

October 6, 2021 at 2 PM Eastern/11 AM Pacific
    SDN and Osmosis are teaming up to help you get set up for success this school year! We'll be covering study tips, healthy habits, and meeting mentors.

Register Now!

• Funniest Story on the Job Contest Starts Now!

Contest starts now and ends September 27th. Winner will receive a special user banner and $10 Amazon Gift card!

JOIN NOW
  • Site Updates Coming Next Week

Site updates are coming next week on Monday, Wednesday, and Friday. Click the button below to learn more!

LEARN MORE

Question regarding Summer Courses!!!!

NeuroRed

May 13, 2020
  1. Pre-Medical
Hey all --

For reference below, I just finished my 2nd year.

I decided to take Genetics and Psychology over quarantine this Summer to make room for upper division courses prior to MCAT / admissions, as well as to appear more productive since all of my planned activities have been canceled. I am currently doing very well in both courses, but I am worried about how this will be perceived in admissions since I've heard that there is a stigma against summer coursework.

While technically these 2 courses are not hard requirements for the majority of medical schools (I believe only a sparse few require Psychology) and I really only took them to polish up my MCAT skillset / fulfill prereqs, I know that they are highly important courses to take prior to admission. I am worried that I have screwed myself over by taking it over the summer and subjecting myself to the possibility that an AdCom will look down on this.

I will be expanding on my genetics work with a course in Molecular Biology next Fall, and I also plan to take a Medical Sociology course to compliment my Psych course before MCAT as well, so this isn't my only exposure to genetics-related / social science coursework. I was curious what your input is (will an AdCom interpret my summer courses as a negative feature of my transcript) as well as any possible solutions to remedy my situation. Thank you so much!

M&L

Volunteer Staff
2+ Year Member
Jul 23, 2018
  1. Medical Student
I honestly do not see a problem here at all. THey are not hard requirements, and you will further take more advanced courses anyway. I even took Organic chemistry I and II, and PHysics II in summer, and they didnt seem to care, because i had harder courses later. Dont worry about it. Just make sure you get good grades, and definitely do not do P/F on these, even if your school offers.

Reactions: 1 user
About the Ads
About the Ads
This thread is more than 1 year old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. Your new thread title is very short, and likely is unhelpful.
  2. Your reply is very short and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  3. Your reply is very long and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  4. It is very likely that it does not need any further discussion and thus bumping it serves no purpose.
  5. Your message is mostly quotes or spoilers.
  6. Your reply has occurred very quickly after a previous reply and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  7. This thread is locked.