Question(s) for the Mt. Sinai folks

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

StealYourFace

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I think around NYC, many people feel that Mt. Sinai is at (or near) the level of Cornell and Columbia in terms of training. For the Sinai residents or anyone else with an opinion: does that comparison hold true with regard to top fellowship and private practice opportunities? Or does not having the "Ivy League name" hurt after residency is through?

I'm also wondering if Mt. Sinai's reputation is more of a NYC thing, when compared to some other east coast heavyweights (insert big name program here)? Just curious, as I liked what I saw on interview day, but wasn't sure about the stuff mentioned above.

Members don't see this ad.

Well, I haven't spent any time at Cornell or Columbia but I can tell you what I know. From speaking with my friends at other great programs (Emory, UF, etc.) we have the same level of training for sure. We get lots of clinical time, no problems passing tests (I read about 2-3 hours per month, I'd say), any fellowship at any program you want, and tons of research opps await you if you show even the slightest interest (though it won't be stuffed down your throat if you aren't interested). I'm a CA-2 and have kept in touch with the folks from last years class who went into private practice and they said they couldn't have had better training...they are all fully comfortable and loving life. The ones in fellowship (UVa, Yale) are all happy as well. Our pain program is kinda weak but you can go anywhere you want with our name if you want a fellowship. We don't do a lot of real sick little kids (but nobody does unless they have a pediatric hospital as part of their home base), but you'll be prepared for any general peds for sure. All other subspecialties are well covered here. If you are interested in staying in academics, I'd probably say that having that Ivy name may help you a little if you're looking to publish or whatever, but we have lots of big-gun people who have written lots of papers and texts so I can't say the Ivy name will help you terribly. Plus, we are actually happy here, we have fun at work, and nobody ever transfers from here to there though the reverse has occured and they always say they are much happier here at Sinai. There is no way I would have trained anywhere else.

Hi, I wouldn't begin to attempt to speak intelligently about the goings on at other programs. What I can say is that Sinai is a wonderful place. People are respected. Teaching is highly valued. Residents are happy. And most important, I believe the attendings at our program genuinely care about making me into the best doctor that I can possibly be.

For what it's worth, I honestly think a program is only as strong as the people who compose it. Sinai has salt of the earth residents and a program director who has a heart of gold. I've spent a great deal of time at a big name, academic medical centers. Coming to Sinai is the best choice I ever made.

Members don't see this ad :)
Ditto on what was mentioned above by a fellow co-resident. I just have a little to add to it. I do not want to bad mouth any program because I don't know everything about them. From a strictly "big name" perspective, I think that Mt Sinai holds its own across the country. We have had plenty of people match at good fellowships as far out as California (i.e. Stanford, UCSD, etc). Being from the south myself, I can say that Mt Sinai has a very respectible reputation in that region too. Sure, the majority of people that graduate do stay in the NYC area for jobs, but I think that's because it's freakin' New York City! Who wouldn't want to stay around here?
If you are looking to go into academia/research then I guess you want to go to the the biggest of big names. However, as far as the combination of level of training, getting into fellowships, the atmosphere at work, the research opportunities should you choose to pursue them, and the pass rate for the boards, I could not imagine a much better situation than what we have at Mt Sinai. Sure, residency is residency. It is going to be rough, but I honestly feel that most of us at Mt Sinai really don't mind going to work every morning (as early as it is). I'd be lying if I said we jumped joyously since nobody would at that time in the morning. But we feel that way mainly because of the people at work. From the residents to the attendings, it is a very good atmosphere. I think that the most important thing about choosing a residency program is that you see yourself happy in it. You are going to work the most hours of your life on a day-to-day basis and whether you have fun at work and enjoy the people you work with is EXTREMELY important, trust me, I have spoken to enough people at programs where it is not this way. I could not imagine going to a program for 3 years where it is an extremely competitive atmosphere, everybody is completely overworked, and just plain miserable. As far as research, there are plenty of opportunities. I have never heard of a resident that was looking to do a research paper have any problems finding an attending interested. So, to wrap it up, on interview day at Mt Sinai, it is completely open for a reason. We have you change into scrubs for a reason. It is to let you roam because we have nothing to hide. We have a residency director who is one of a kind, and a chair that has a great vision for our program. The two of them combined can only create a program that has nowhere to go but up. We are a laid back bunch and we have a good time and I think it shows. So, good luck in your decision, but as for me, I could not and would not want to be at any other program. Cheers!

No one completing training at Mount Sinai has a problem getting a private practice job, academic center job (although usually at mount sinai) or fellowship position. The fellowships accepted by the current CA3 (that i'm aware of) include: Stanford(Peds) St. Louis Children's/Wash U(Peds) Cornell(Pain). I suppose that also answers your question as to the reputation outside new york.

I echo everything said by UNC (which was stated in a much more articulate manner than I'm capeable of). I'm certain that the other fifty residents who will post to this site in the next few days will say the same thing. The site will likely get very boring to read.

Bottom line, sinai is the best anesthesia residency in the city, likely in the country. For the record, no sinai resident has any reason to blow smoke up your ass.

As everyone else has already said, since I have never been to any other program for residency, I can't comment on any of the other NY programs. However, I can say that I don't think I'd have been happier anywhere else for residency. I feel that in general the other residents in my program are happy and are learning a lot at Mount Sinai as well. In fact, there are a lot of the CA-3s this year that are staying as attendings next year - that in itself should say a lot about the program.

I think in the past the weaker of the rotations have been peds and pain. Both, however, are improving, pretty quickly even in the last year. We have a full-time pediatric surgeon again which has increased the interesting cases in pediatrics. And the new pain attendings are awesome and have really tried to shape and re-vamp the pain rotation and pain teaching. In general, you get a very well rounded anesthesiology training! The other thing that is a HUGE plus is that the chariman and the program director are awesome and are always willing to back you up!

Finding jobs/fellowships outside of NY has never been a problem either (just as everyone else above has stated).

Hi,
Having transferred from another major academic program, I had the chance to really see how things are at different places. Each place has its own pros and cons, and this goes for the "ivy league" programs too. "Ivy league" or not doesn't matter...Sevoflurane is the same everywhere, and the principles of anesthesia are the same as well. I think references and connections/networking and luck to a large part, is what really comes into play in terms of finding a job in private practice. Maybe you should ask each program, how their residents found jobs at the end- on their own or through someone in the program. If you're thinking academics, you have many options.
As far as research goes, there is research at every major academic institution. When it comes to basic bench/lab work, you should consider NIH grants etc. and how many of the staff does bench work and if you really want to do bench work.
Furthermore, if you are really serious about research, an option to consider is doing a 1 to 2 year research fellowship that will (hopefully) get you a lot of publications/recognition. This would seem to be a more effective and focused approach anyway. For fellowships, you will be able to steer your course from anywhere, and Mount Sinai definitely will get you to the place you want to be at.
You work hard in residency anyway so I personally feel outside of residency you should make time for life. Sinai gives this option more than either of the programs mentioned, and this should be considered in your decision.
Not many people stay at their first Anesthesia job, and finding the "perfect" job it appears comes down to networking, luck and being board certified etc. So I'd encourage you to make your decision based on the place you LIKE the most. I'm very happy here, and it seems based on what I know (from my friends at Cornell, and from what I've heard about Columbia)- we have it good! To end my dissertation, residency is what you make of it. Go to the place that will give you a chance to make something of yourself outside of residency- go to Sinai! The people are friendly here and the higher-ups appear to truly care and listen to the residents to improve the program. This is actually one thing I noticed to be different from my former major research oriented place. If you have any questions, you can e-mail me.

I am a retread who is doing a second residency after nearly 17 years. I started at a program in Louisiana but came up here due to Katrina. A southerner moving to NYC was a bit of a stretch, but I am glad I am here.

As to the other posts, it is very untrue about needing an "Ivy" name to be in academics and research. To the contrary, most in academics aren't Ivy Leaguers. As to getting fellowships, anyone at sinai can go anywhere they want essentially. I think the training at Sinai is second to none and in fact better than the "Ivy" league trained anesthesiologists I have seen while in another surgical subspecialty. Sinai has the best of both worlds-OUTSTANDING academics and very talented clinicians who actuallly care that the residents are taught good anesthesia.

I think the weak points in pain and other rotations have been resolved and my experience at MSSM has been outstanding. The bottom line-if I needed anesthesia I would unhestiatingly choose a MSSM trained anesthesiologist any day.

I am a 1st year resident at mssm depart of anesthesiology. I feel like the decision to come to this program was perhaps one of the best I have ever made. In the most sincere of terms, from my research (and i did plenty) mt sinai does the following for its residents:
1. board preparation: exceptional preparation for oral boards and written boards. we have multiple oral board examiners on staff who do mock orals with you "q every other call" . in last years class, there were at least 2-3 people who scored 99% on the written boards and seems to be that way for the last 4 years from asking around. the lectures are no fluff, we get told what has been and likely will be asked on the boards, and it is always done in a clinically relevant fashion.
2. fellowship: another first year already spoke about those current 3rd years going away to fellowship. i have heard of no one who applied who did not get one. as for the iv league factor, frankly, its a sketch! in all truth anyone who really knows anesthesia private and academic knows that our program is rock solid, our residents with few exception are rock solid, can handle literally the sick of the sick or bang out an office day at lightening speed with the best of them. we are sought after. we have serious connections in our department with both the outside and academic worlds, and most importantly, the chair Dr. Reich and the program director, Dr. Levine go the distance to help the residents secure the best jobs possible. totallly thumbs up for their support and involvement with us on all levels.
3. clinical experience: columbia and cornell come close, but really not that close. here is why. cardiothoracic: sinai has always been the transplant leader in new york and remains that way. our cardiac anesthesia department is exceptional and has a long tradition at sinai back to one of the founders of the field Dr. Kaplan. liver transplant: we are still number one last i heard. we have exceptional attendings who teach like nuts. one of them is the former chair of New Orleans program, sinai trained who came back to sinai after Katrena (spelling?) and is starting a new liver transplant fellowship. peds: we have a new peds surgeon at sinai who has brought a huge population with him to sinai. our attendings are some of the best in the field, they teach tremendously, and there expectations are very high, peds is tough at sinai and because of them, we all get a true quality peds experience, second to none, no on leaves sinai not totally comfortable doing a kid, it is unheard of. ob: the numbers at sinai have tripled in the last 3 years. a major high risk ob group recently joined sinai and has brought the volume up tremendously of much more than just the average bread and butter pregnant woman. our ob experience is without question the very best in teh city, I can't imagine a better set up for learning and hands on experience. regional: we have a few attendings at sinai who are leading the field in regional anesthesia, and pushing all of the residents to gain competance with the use of ultrasound for almost every block in addition to the classical methods of finder kneedles. again, we do so much regional, i don't think there is a senior resident who is not competant at blocking any extremity/hip for any type of surgery. office based practice: sinai has recently attracted a variety of new attendings who were previosly in the private world and have now come to sinai. with them has come their experience in working in the private sector and how to maximize your narcotic usage and extubation styles to optomize efficiency, aas well as so many of the other skills/tricks that the private world demands of us. so although we are a true academic institution that is leading the field in many areas of active anesthetic research, we have a really excellent experience preparing us for the private sector.
3. flexibility/call schedule: the department is super flexible about arranging call schedules and time off requests. they go out of there way to help the residents accomidate there individual needs on many levels. the call schedule is too complicated to explain in this forum, but i will say that as a first year, two full weekends of a month is common, and a total of 5 calls a month is high average. very very doable. attendings buy dinner on call. generally you sleep 4hours a night average, sometimes less, some more.

i think sinai has the nicest attendings I have ever worked with. with very few exceptions (one), all of the house staff truly care about your education, are not just good, but exceptional in anesthesia. the program director, Dr. Levine, not only has a heart of gold, but a pocket of gold as well, always buying us books (miller, baby miller, lange, mass general, pharm, got us hooked up with barash, and a few other books), sending us to conferences (standard is one paid conference a year for 3 years AND any conference you present in paid in addition), lunch is catered for the department often, breakfast everyday with lecture.....this is a program that the chair Dr. Reich takes very seriously, he is a man of sterling character, who is in the trenches with his residents, teaching them one on one in cardiac, leading journal club with the residents one on one twice a month, and leading m and m case conference every week. Of special note about our m and m, Dr. Reich requires a very high attendence by the attendings and this is to the residents benefit b/c he pimps the ATTENDINGS on there opinions of the anesthetic managment being presented for our benefit, he analyzes the anesthesia record with us, showing us how mistakes look and are made on the record (medical legal ramifications), overall a very high quality conference.

final thoughts: sinai residents work hard, but are not overworked. get taken care of financially well, treated with respect, valued, and leave the best in the field. it is the ideal place to train. and to move on to fellowship.

I am a CA-1 resident who attended one of the NYC Ivy league institutions – and hands down I KNOW that Sinai is the best place for me! But at the end of the day you have to decide for yourself what is important. If it makes you feel better that you trained at an Ivy school then by all means rank them higher than Sinai. But simply having an Ivy name doesn’t mean you will be better trained or necessarily guarantee you a fellowship. When I was on the interview circuit and compared the NYC programs I personally felt like Sinai had a much more supportive and resident friendly environment… I could go on and on and on ….. The anesthesia world is small, people know each other all over the country, and the reality is you may end up getting a job or a fellowship based upon a phone call from your chairman or program director not based upon the name of the your training program.

I think you will find that there’s more out there than choosing a program based solely on name. Think back to when you chose a medical school. Did you choose that based on name? Choosing a program is a personal choice. Identify what’s ultimately important to you. Go where you feel comfortable, where you feel where you can build a network, make connections and good relationships. I went with my gut, and I never could have imaged it working out better for me. Good luck to you.

Having been at Mt Sinai for 2 1/2 years, I would say that it is honestly the best decision I have made for my medical career. The other replies have appropriately addressed the ability of graduates to get jobs and fellowships, gain extensive experience caring for patients of all levels of health/sickness during a diverse array of procedures, as well as pass the boards. One of the most notable aspects of our program is that people are happy, and teamwork is encouraged without impairing individual development. As previously mentioned, Dr Reich is a very proactive chairman who devotes much of his time towards resident education and development. Dr Levine is a staunch supporter of resident education and ensures that the clinical experience is as extensive and diverse as possible; he also makes himself available anytime (I have called him at home a number of times to discuss personla and professional issues). Overall, the program is exceptional- people love being here, the attendings almost always do what they can to make it a better experience, and (in my personal experience) graduating from Mt Sinai is certainly an asset when looking for a job/fellowship.

I am a CA3 who is not from New York and, although I loved it, will not be staying in New York after residency. I have a significant other who lives in Philadelphia and we have been doing the long distance thing throughout my residency. I have considered transferring on multiple occasions but after considering the options, I've more than happily stayed at Sinai. My research into other programs always finds either suboptimal training, or more importantly, unhappy residents working in unfriendly environments.

I have been interviewing all month for jobs in Philadelphia (academic, private practice, semi-academic hospitals, ambulatory sugery centers) and get an offer everywhere I go because Sinai is listed at the top of my CV. I also can't imagine residents at other programs getting better fellowships then where our residents have gone - Stanford (pain and peds), Columbia (peds), Cornell (pain), Boston Childrens, CHOP, Wash U (peds), UCSD (cardiothoracic), UVA, etc.

So you can eliminate national reputation and job/fellowship opportunities from your decision-making, because Sinai holds up in all those areas. Just find the place that is the best fit for YOU. You will be starting the most challenging phase of your medical career and will be working with the same people for 3 years. Find a place that is friendly and supportive. Sinai has the whole package and has been the best fit for me. Best of luck!

I am a CA3 who is not from New York and, although I loved it, will not be staying in New York after residency. I have a significant other who lives in Philadelphia and we have been doing the long distance thing throughout my residency. I have considered transferring on multiple occasions but after considering the options, I've more than happily stayed at Sinai. My research into other programs always finds either suboptimal training, or more importantly, unhappy residents working in unfriendly environments.

I have been interviewing all month for jobs in Philadelphia (academic, private practice, semi-academic hospitals, ambulatory sugery centers) and get an offer everywhere I go because Sinai is listed at the top of my CV. I also can't imagine residents at other programs getting better fellowships then where our residents have gone - Stanford (pain and peds), Columbia (peds), Cornell (pain), Boston Childrens, CHOP, Wash U (peds), UCSD (cardiothoracic), UVA, etc.

So you can eliminate national reputation and job/fellowship opportunities from your decision-making, because Sinai holds up in all those areas. Just find the place that is the best fit for YOU. You will be starting the most challenging phase of your medical career and will be working with the same people for 3 years. Find a place that is friendly and supportive. Sinai has the whole package and has been the best fit for me. Best of luck!

Obviously all of you are quite happy at Mt. Sinai. That is most excellent. Do any of you have experience with the anesthesiology review course offered by your august institution? I believe it is given at Disneyworld in early March and I am comparing that versus Cleveland Clinic and Jensen.

Thanks!

PMMD

Although redundant, It's worth repeating that the training we get at Sinai is not only superior, but recognized as such within the anesthesia community. Certainly having a fancy institutions name behind your degree can't hurt, but I'd be surprised if Sinai's name behind your degree didn't carry the same weight. When I was interviewing, Dr. Levine, the program director told me that when interviewing prospective residents he was more interested in establishing that he'd be able to spend 6 hours in a room with a resident during a case, than he was in an applicants board scores. Obviously, the scores and grades need to be in the ballpark, but what he said was indicative of Sinai's attitude towards its residents. It's a commitment they make to us as individuals. No one here feels like product to be churned out. At certain Ivy's it was not apparent to me that all program directors knew the names of their residents. Sinai's reputation seems to be built firmly on a base of clinical excellence in a supportive atmosphere. I don't know of any of my collegues who regret their decision to come here. If you're lucky enough to come here I'm confident in saying you wouldn't either.

ive been at mount sinai for 1.5 years and have been very pleased with the quality of our training program. i cannot comment intelligently about life at other programs but it is hard to imagine being more content anywhere else (ivy-league or otherwise). the attendings, residents, OR coordinators, and anesthesia technicians are all great people who do their best to make mount sinai a superior place to work. the didactic teaching, work hours, call schedule and comradory are also second to none. i feel that our training program is also set apart from others (especially bigger name places) by the amount of emotional, educational and technical support we receive. residency can be challenging on many levels and having a very supportive department has been a huge bonus for me.

mount sinai was an obvious choice for me and an excellent match!

Like everybody else has already said, Mt.Sinai is a great place to train. It was one of the last places I had interviewed at and I immediately got a sense of home when I was there. Everybody was very welcoming and friendly. It was one of the few institutions where residents appeared truly happy. You will have your share of tough days, but overall it is a very fair program. When working long hours, you are appreciated and oftentimes financially compensated. Training is very well rounded and faculty is extremely approachable and dedicated. The program director is extremely committed to the residents and is one of our strongest advocates. The chairman is very much involved in our residency is always seeking ways to augment our academic program. I can honestly say that I am happy and would not have chosen any other program.

:laugh:

this thread cracks me up. what, did someone send an email around and tell everyone in your progarm to register and post? just weird, in a funny sorta way.

and, fwiw, i interviewed at sinai way back. fine program. great pd. just decided that nyc wasn't for me, so i actually ranked it low... but, yes, i ranked it.

Of course there is no coincidence that so many of us are responding since someone in our program did see the original thread and mentioned it to us. I think the large number of responses attests to how happy we truly are at Mount Sinai.

I'm so glad to hear the feedback from residents at sinai. It makes my anticipation of next yr that much more sweeter. Im ecstatic that i matched there... early on last yr i didnt think i had a shot. I had great scores and research to boot, but i very much felt that it was the hardest spot in nyc to match.
Every interview i went to (including the big name Ivy League progs)- people were raving about sinai and how they were ranking it first. This was true especially with people coming from nyc med schools. I felt that we knew about this gem that people around the country didnt know about. To my dismay, when i did my rotation at sinai (early nov) there were 15-20 people rotating with me from across the country- only like 5 of us were from the city. It was definitely not the best kept secret anymore.

I can only comment on my rotation at sinai and have no feedback about the other big names in nyc since i only interviewed at these places. The working atmosphere between resident/attendings, anesthesia/surgery, etc.. was so professional and unlike anything i've seen anywhere else. Everyone was treated with respect and people just gave off this laid back vibe... dont get me wrong they worked hard and took their jobs seriously but there was this sense of camaraderie and this sense of "I love what im doing and i love that im doing it here at sinai." (not the most articulate way of putting it but you get the idea).
All the positive stuff you hear about sinai has made it the "go to place" in anesthesia residencies in and around the ny area. Out of all my friends from my med school and others in the tri state area, the people with highest scores and most well rounded applications all ended up matching at sinai. I completely agree that scores should be considered secondary to other things in a person's application... and i think that sinai is a place that truly manifests this in their view of an applicant (my boards scores, grades were never brought up during my interviews at sinai, whereas at other progs i got the impression that interviewers were getting hard ons at the idea of this "board score" - not me as a person coming to their institution). Its good to see that the unique environment at sinai is getting rewarded with top notch applicants who care about being happy while they learn to be amazing anesthesiologists... rather than just having a prestigious name behind them. if you could not see yourself being happy at a place other than an ivy- you probably wouldnt be happy at sinai.
or maybe you would;)

SINAI IS AWESOME! As you've read from everyone else...we're very happy here. We're happy because we not only receive a fantastic education, but we're also treated very well here. We work WITH attendings on cases, not just for them or for the department. We really feel like we're a part of the team, and if we want to try something new, then we usually get to do it.

As a med student, I rotated through Cornell and Sinai. I just didn't get the feel at Cornell that I do at Sinai. I just knew that I fit in here. Don't get me wrong...Cornell has a good program, and you will get great training there as well, but the atmosphere is very different. Some residents told me that they're there because it was their second choice...many people want to go to Sinai for all the reasons you've been hearing about...it's all real!

And...Sinai has a great reputation nationally. The last thing I'm worried about is getting a job down the road. The program director and the chairman both work very hard to help the residents go where they want to. Our program director is fantastic because he really cares about the residents. He goes out of his way to make it the best program it could possibly be, without any sacrifices. We have a chairman who meets with us twice a month to review articles with us to better our eduction.

So in a nutshell...we have a sweet package here...definitely the best program in the city. Good luck with your decision!