Question(s) to returning MD/PhD students

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Gryphes

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey guys,

I am a M3 who has taken slightly more than one year of leave of absence after two core rotation (medicine and surgery) due to personal situation. I am returning back to clinical rotation (I will start with Family Medicine or Ob/Gyn) at this coming August. I hadn't had reviewed much of material, and I was becoming slightly apprehensive about being rusty on my basics before my rotation starts.

I will be able to put in perhaps an hour or two on good days (I am working at the moment) to study, so I was thinking I should review my medicine material to be prepared for clinical rotations again. I am wondering if there are MD/PhD students who had similar issues and found some good sources to review and get back to the game. Thanks for reading the post and I will appreciate all the help/advises anyone has to offer.

Members don't see this ad.

I myself will be returning to MS4 this July (after 3 years away), so I guess I don't really know the answers yet :)

But, I'd say, read up on whatever rotation you'll start with. If family, read the ambulatory section of Step Up to Medicine (or whatever equivalent book you used back during your medicine rotation). If OB, read the OB Case Files. If you have time, try to go through as much of the medicine book as you can.

Personally, I'm going into pedi neuro, so I've been going through Pedi BRS, a neuro review book, and parts of Step Up to Medicine. Oh and the Dubin EKG book. And half of Micro Made Ridiculously Simple. I don't even know if any of this is sticking, so it's probably mostly to make myself feel better :)

I myself will be returning to MS4 this July (after 3 years away), so I guess I don't really know the answers yet :)

But, I'd say, read up on whatever rotation you'll start with. If family, read the ambulatory section of Step Up to Medicine (or whatever equivalent book you used back during your medicine rotation). If OB, read the OB Case Files. If you have time, try to go through as much of the medicine book as you can.

Personally, I'm going into pedi neuro, so I've been going through Pedi BRS, a neuro review book, and parts of Step Up to Medicine. Oh and the Dubin EKG book. And half of Micro Made Ridiculously Simple. I don't even know if any of this is sticking, so it's probably mostly to make myself feel better :)

Thanks a lot. I didn't think of some of the suggestions you made. That was very helpful - good luck to you returning back, since I know I will need it after only a year of vacuum period.

G