Question to Gasdoc and other anesthesiologists

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Amadeus

10+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
How did you get interested in Anesthesia? Any thoughts about the field would be appreciated...forget about the crna issues.

Members don't see this ad.

great specialty very fun and interactive the only speacialty in medicine to consider....... Pick your residency wisely

Anethesia happens to be one of the areas I am interested in myself. I had a lot of exposure to anesthesia as a corpsman in the Navy. I worked as an OR tech, anesthesia tech, and obstetrical surgical tech.

The things I like about anesthesia: technical aspect, constant interaction with new patients, great schedule, nice income, variety of cases, and an abundance of moonlighting opportunities.

The things that I might not like about anesthesia:
Once the cases start, you are kind of sitting on your butt doing nothing, except for that 1% of the time when you are dealing with an unstable patient. The call schedule can be rough depending upon the group you work with or the hospital's policies regarding in-house call. Getting called up to the surgical floors every time a nurse can't get an IV started.

It's a great field, and I doubt that CRNAs are going to gain independence anytime soon.

Best of luck to you.