1. Dismiss Notice
  2. Download free Tapatalk for iPhone or Tapatalk for Android for your phone and follow the SDN forums with push notifications.
    Dismiss Notice

question to Midwestern AZ students

Discussion in 'Dental' started by schen140, Jul 27, 2011.

1. schen140

7+ Year Member

Dentist
    hey guys, so it's nearing orientation time. are there any supplies i should stock up on? will i be needing a lot of notebooks to take notes on, or will that be done mostly on my laptop?

any other useful advice for the newly matriculating student?

thanks!
    steven

2. Note: SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. Oracle DMD

Oracle DMD Chuck NOracle DMD
    Moderator Emeritus 5+ Year Member

Dentist
    All of your notes are given to you, no need to stock up on anything but coffee and advil. Welcome aboard!

4. schen140

7+ Year Member

Dentist
    sounds great! time to fill up my medicine collection haha

5. haisha ni narou

7+ Year Member

Dental Student
    don't forget blue Monster and something to snack on. All you need is a notebook to put your printed notes in, and maybe some colored pencils/highlighters and a pen/pencil to put notes in the margins. You're gold with just that.

6. Oracle DMD

Dentist
    i survived on blue monsters between the hours of 11pm and 4am! hahaha good call

7. aab

aab

Dental Student
    Any suggestions for any of the classes?

8. aab

aab

Dental Student
    any advise on study technique. is group study better than individual study schedule

9. Oracle DMD

Dentist
    everyone studies differently. so it depends on you. i would recommend that you crush it by yourself monday through saturday, and maybe get together w/ a couple buddies on sunday and review all of the lectures together to see if you've missed any key points, and use that time to refine what you've been able to memorize over the week.

10. rarm1

rarm1 Senior Member
    SDN Advisor 10+ Year Member

Dentist
    best suggestion:
    don't fall behind, it become hard to catch up... and pressure increases.

another, which may not apply to a new university... listen with a grain of salt to upper classmen,,,,, courses change year to year, so does grading - especially with new faculty, new chairs, new dean etc

11. kdawg

7+ Year Member

Dentist
    That's actually good advice. Find a D2 to ask q's about studying specifics. Oracle, Haisha ni narou, & I are 4's & senioritis is setting in already!:laugh:

One thing that I'm sure hasn't changed though is the intense curriculum. Free time is minimal. Long lecture & sim lab days drain you & the last thing you want to do is go home & study. You have pretty demanding dental classes to go along with a tough basic science curriculum. I would suggest talking to a wide variety of students about their personal study habits & develop the style that works for you. I would NOT suggest mine though.:D If you feel overwhelmed, there's plenty of help. Lots of cool and approachable faculty & students, & MWU has a free tutoring program if you need it. Good luck.

I don't know if it was a class of '12 thing or not, but +1 for the blue MONSTER!!!