Question: to those who took the MCAT in Aug and applied the same summer!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

calflowergirl

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi!

I'm taking the MCAT in Aug and applying this summer (well, sending my primary in early september). I have had mixed advice by students saying that was fine and advisors saying it was a big no no. If you have done the same, could you let me know how things went for you: when did you send in your primary, when did you get secondaries, when did you start hearing from med schools, when you learned you got in (if you did) or when did you find out you didn't get in anywhere .
thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

I heard the same advice from my pre-med advisors, and decided to ignore it. I went ahead and too the August MCAT and applied that October, finishing most secondaries by Mid-November. I applied to a total of 16 schools, got 6 interviews, 4 acceptances, 1 W/L, 1 reject.

With all that said, I think its a much better idea to apply early on. I didn't even bother applying to two of my state schools, as their classes were already filled by November. So I believe applying late does limit your chances somewhat.

By the way, I was a strikingly mediocre applicant (3.5/30P/EMT).

Good Luck,

HamOn
GWU Class of 2007

Because most premed advisors want you to get your information in early, especially with those that have a september deadline. Also be wary of those schools that use rolling admissions.

Check the aamcas website and see the deadlines for the schools you want to apply to and they have deadlines all the way to december.

Last year I took the Aug MCAT and sent in AMCAS the last week of August. I started my secondaries while I was travelling in Costa Rica at the end of Sep but did the majority in Oct and Nov. I got my first interview invite right after Thanksgiving and went on my first interview in Dec. My first acceptance came in Jan, so for myself it was not that bad sending stuff in later.

I think it helps to send stuff in early, esp. at some schools (like U Mich which fills their class early) but it is not the kiss of death to apply in the fall. In the end, I applied to 20 schools, got 7 interview invites, and after getting into my top choice school by March, I withdrew all my applications and was finished with the process in a short time. It did not hurt me with the UC schools even though they are rolling.

BTW- my MCAT was not great either (28R).