Question to US doctors

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ProteinTreasure

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello!

I work in the United Kingdom and would like to understand if doctors in the United States have to go through similar processes.

In the UK every doctor has an electronic portfolio and has to go through annual appraisal that involves tons of paperwork, writing reflections, collecting feedback from patients, providing proof of CME. Additionally we have to do audits as part of quality control.

In the annual appraisal, a doctor sits down with a senior doctor who goes over all the uploaded papers and makes suggestions for improvement for the next year.

Beside CME, all other activities are absolutely tedious, time-consuming and tiring.

Do you have any similar activities in the US?

Members don't see this ad.

Hello!

I work in the United Kingdom and would like to understand if doctors in the United States have to go through similar processes.

In the UK every doctor has an electronic portfolio and has to go through annual appraisal that involves tons of paperwork, writing reflections, collecting feedback from patients, providing proof of CME. Additionally we have to do audits as part of quality control.

In the annual appraisal, a doctor sits down with a senior doctor who goes over all the uploaded papers and makes suggestions for improvement for the next year.

Beside CME, all other activities are absolutely tedious, time-consuming and tiring.

Hell no lol..you’re an attending physician you’re not a monkey

Reactions: 1 users
They don't trust you in Florida, and you have to prove you have CMEs through CEbroker.

Reactions: 1 user
We do much of this every year in my academic practice, though perhaps not quite to this extent.

If you try to get promoted within academics, you have to do all of this and more. That process is more irregular in timing depending on how long it takes you to get promoted and how many times you have to apply.

The ABIM (similar to y'alls RCP) tried to do something similar as part of Maintenance of Certification at some point c. 2013. There was such an uproar they cancelled all those requirements. Other than the exams every 2 or 10 years (per your preference)

We basically need to certify a certain amount of CME hours (whether courses, conferences, etc) every year or two and that's it. Plus send a check to the licensing board and the specialty board.

Last edited:
Hello!

Sounds awful

Hello!

My condolences.

Here in the US, my national specialty board (emergency medicine - ABEM) has a ten-year recert cycle. In the next couple years, they're rolling out an alternative to the current recertification exam that people love to hate as well as modifying some of the recertification requirements to be done throughout those ten years that will theoretically make the process a little more palatable. Still tedious, but sounds less tedious than what you mentioned. And certainly not yearly.

There are national and state-level CME requirements as well for licensure and maintaining certification, but again not like yours.

Feel like everyone in this thread should buy you a pint.

Reactions: 1 user
My condolences.

Here in the US, my national specialty board (emergency medicine - ABEM) has a ten-year recert cycle. In the next couple years, they're rolling out an alternative to the current recertification exam that people love to hate as well as modifying some of the recertification requirements to be done throughout those ten years that will theoretically make the process a little more palatable. Still tedious, but sounds less tedious than what you mentioned. And certainly not yearly.

There are national and state-level CME requirements as well for licensure and maintaining certification, but again not like yours.

Feel like everyone in this thread should buy you a pint.

Yeah similar with ABIM cardiology - they are rolling out a continuing MOC that should be easier than taking a recert exam every two years

They don't trust you in Florida, and you have to prove you have CMEs through CEbroker.
They mostly trust you in california, but I recently got selected for an audit so I was sweating bullets because I wasn't actually sure I had enough (thankfully they gave me cme for the emr training so I was ok). But usually just sign that you have enough and send money.

Hello!

Y’all get screwed over there for what you make. England for yeh eh

They mostly trust you in california, but I recently got selected for an audit so I was sweating bullets because I wasn't actually sure I had enough (thankfully they gave me cme for the emr training so I was ok). But usually just sign that you have enough and send money.

How did they audit you?

One can look up on your state medical board discipline page to find out what happens to you when you don't have the required CMEs.