Question: When/Why apply to SMP?! Answers Appreciated!!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

drslc134

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
i.e. Georgetown, others that I'm just not aware of at this point.

It seems as though if you're decently above 3.0 (i.e. 3.25.3.35) and at a 29-30 MCAT or above, why do you guys apply to SMP instead of regular med schools?
The stats may be below average, but they're not horrible (and you have >10% shot of getting in somewhere, i would think)

Or do you apply to both at the same time? Or do you apply for the upcoming year in the spring right before you plan on entering if the app process doesn't pan out?

Plus, for those who have applied, what have professors thought when you asked for letters of rec for such a program (both those who didn't and those who did ask for recs for the allo or osteo med school apps earlier in the year)?

Thanks so much.

Members don't see this ad.

drslc134 said:
It seems as though if you're decently above 3.0 (i.e. 3.25.3.35) and at a 29-30 MCAT or above, why do you guys apply to SMP instead of regular med schools?
The stats may be below average, but they're not horrible (and you have >10% shot of getting in somewhere, i would think)
Many people that enter special masters programs are those who were unsuccessful in gaining admission to med school on the first try, so they're trying to improve their application by proving they can hang with the med students. After that or during the program, they reapply.

Other people haven't applied, but feel that there are academically questionable parts of their applications. These people are trying to attenuate any doubts of their capability to succeed in med school.
Or do you apply to both at the same time? Or do you apply for the upcoming year in the spring right before you plan on entering if the app process doesn't pan out?
Some people apply to both at the same time. The SMPs can serve as good backups if an applicant is unsuccessful at getting into med school. You can apply to these programs in the Spring/Summer right before entering, but this could put you at a disadvantage. If you know your record is very questionable (e.g., 3.1 cume, 3.0 bcpm, 30 MCAT), it's probably best to send in your apps around January. However, some apply late and still manage to get acceptances even later in the summer.
Plus, for those who have applied, what have professors thought when you asked for letters of rec for such a program (both those who didn't and those who did ask for recs for the allo or osteo med school apps earlier in the year)?

Thanks so much.
Sometimes the content of the letters are so similar and since the intended purpose of the programs is to get you into med school, letters written for med school are often acceptable for applying to SMPs. I had friends who were accepted to SMPs that used their med school application LORs. I would also think profs would be understanding if you said that you didn't get accepted and are looking to go to graduate school to improve your credentials. So I don't think it's too much to worry about.

drslc134 said:
i.e. Georgetown, others that I'm just not aware of at this point.

Thanks so much.

Phil, post-bacc wizard and our new moderator, already pretty much answered this, but I'll add my two cents.

I did apply to the entering class of 2005, but I didn't get accepted anywhere, so I applied to the programs at Georgetown , Rosalind Franklin and Loyola earlier this spring, once I was pretty sure I wasn't getting in this year. I probably should have applied earlier, and I haven't heard back yet.

So yes, I did apply to both at the same time. Many people apply even when they're waitlisted, just in case. I'm also going to be submitting an AMCAS application in June for 2006.

All the post-bacc programs I applied to said that the letters of recommendation you already have for medical school are fine to use in your application. They also all wanted a copy of my old AMCAS app, probably because it's just easier. However, you can fill out a longer app if you haven't done an AMCAS app yet.

By the way, I wouldn't go estimating percentages of getting in somewhere. For example, I was 95% sure I'd get an interview at Drexel and Rosalind Franklin, but I didn't get either. I've stopped trying to estimate because I really have no clue.

Phil Anthropist said:
Many people that enter special masters programs are those who were unsuccessful in gaining admission to med school on the first try, so they're trying to improve their application by proving they can hang with the med students. After that or during the program, they reapply.

In my case, that sums it up pretty well. When it seemed certain I was not going receive an acceptance in March, I immediately applied to several programs (including Georgetown's) and was accepted to each one. Along with my new job in clinical research, I hope this will give me the boost I need to get into med school a second time around.