bubbajones

BIG TEX
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Jul 11, 2003
TEXAS
Visit site
Status
Do you need to know more Chemistry than Biology in med school?

bubbajones

BIG TEX
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Jul 11, 2003
TEXAS
Visit site
Status
which does med school have more of?

About the Ads

gujuDoc

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Feb 21, 2004
Status
Medical Student, Resident [Any Field]
You don't really need to know chemistry in terms of organic chemistry from what USF med students tell me.

However, you need to understand biochemistry and its clinical aspects from what I have heard and seen of the medical school text book which sits in my research professor's office at USF COM.

You do need to understand bio, because that is the basis of everything in medicine.

I mean no offense, but that is kind of obvious that you need to know biology to treat humans whom are biological organisms too. No you don't need to know ecology to be good in medical school, but of course you need to know your Anatomy/Physiology and things like Genetics and Cell and Molecular Biology. Now do you need to take every single one of these courses at the undergrad level???????

No you don't need to take them all at the undergrad level. However, it will help a little bit later on, when you do have take them. Also, it may show that you are capable of handling sciences if you take them at undergrad level.

In regards to Pharmacology, Pharmacology has a lot of biochemistry basis, so it is biological and chemistry as well, but with clinical aspects.

jlee9531

J,A,S
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Nov 25, 2002
CA
fantasysports.yahoo.com
Status
Attending Physician
theres both.

all integrated.

there is not just plain bio or plain chem.

bubbajones

BIG TEX
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Jul 11, 2003
TEXAS
Visit site
Status
I knew med school was all biology. But my Ochem teacher said more chem majors get accepted to med school. He also said that there was more chem than bio in med school. I just wanted to know.

Cuteasaurus

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Mar 9, 2004
Midwest
Visit site
Status
Resident [Any Field]
It kinda depends on how you think. You can consider a lot of the classes in med school "bio" but if you're a chem person then a lot of the bio principles can be simpified to chemistry.

About the Ads