1. Dismiss Notice
  2. Download free Tapatalk for iPhone or Tapatalk for Android for your phone and follow the SDN forums with push notifications.
    Dismiss Notice

question

Discussion in 'Medical Students - MD' started by leorl, May 18, 2002.

1. leorl

Physician Moderator Emeritus Lifetime Donor Classifieds Approved 10+ Year Member

Attending Physician
    Okay, this q is for an acquaintance of mine. Please take it seriously, it isn't meant to be offensive or lewd. She is 16 and wishes to remain anonymous because her parents do not know she has been seeing a particular boy. So, they've been having sex, and she said that about a week after they last had sex (I don't think she was a a..flower), she went to bathroom and was bleeding, and there was a "blood clot-looking thing." The next day it stopped. It wasn't her period because it would have been 4 weeks early. Any ideas what happened, or if it's normal?

2. Note: SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. rubyness

rubyness Senior Member
    7+ Year Member

It's common for women to pass tissue from miscarriages, having never known they were pregnant. That's my guess as to what it might have been. Or it could have just been some spotting, but the clot suggests more. Sorry I don't have any more significant info.

4. vyc

vyc Senior Member
    7+ Year Member

</font><blockquote><font size="1" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">quote:</font><hr /><font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">Originally posted by leorl:
    <strong>It wasn't her period because it would have been 4 weeks early. Any ideas what happened, or if it's normal?</strong></font><hr /></blockquote><font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">how can her period be 4 weeks early?
    isn't the usual cycle period about 4 weeks?

5. galaga

galaga Junior Member

It's not safe to get take advice from doctors-to-be. We love to speculate and theorize, but in reality we aren't doctors and shouldn't act as such with limited information. There are a variety of factors that are involved in her case (timing, size of clot, visible tissue etc). While miscarriages are fairly common and present similarly, other sources of bleeding should be ruled out. We don't know the whole story. The best advice any of us can give is SEE A REAL DOCTOR.

6. pcl

pcl Senior Member
    10+ Year Member

If she's worried about privacy, most states have rules about adolescent sexual information that prevent it from being shared with parents. Or she could go somewhere like planned parenthood where it is more anonymous. It's also pro-rated to your ability to pay, so if she doesn't have a job, they can help there.

Good luck.