thebadguy1999

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Mar 11, 2005
Status
what grades did you have in 9th grade and 11th (gpa)i got on my first semester 3.17 im in 9th grade right now

doc05

2K Member
15+ Year Member
May 24, 2003
U.S.A.
Visit site
Status
most med students had a 4.0 or close to it in hs. don't let that discourage you though. right now, just do your best and think about getting into a good college.

wooo

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Aug 2, 2000
USA
Visit site
Status
I graduated high school with a 2.6 gpa then college with a 4.0 gpa.

Don't sweat it...but remember college gpa and MCAT are for all the marbles!

allendo

10+ Year Member
Dec 13, 2004
Status
wooo said:
I graduated high school with a 2.6 gpa then college with a 4.0 gpa.

Don't sweat it...but remember college gpa and MCAT are for all the marbles!
I can vouch for that!! When I got my SAT's back they said I was ******ed but I'm in med school now!!

jpro

10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Jun 16, 2004
Kitchen Stadium
Status
Resident [Any Field]
bottom 25% of my class
1160 SAT, didn't study a lick in high school
joined the Army for 3 yrs
College, physics major 3.8GPA
Med School :smuggrin:

kedhegard

15+ Year Member
Sep 24, 2003
Durham, NC
Visit site
Status
Fellow [Any Field]
A little maturity is everything. I still feel like it would have done me a lot of good to take a few years off before college.

PathOne

Derminatrix
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
May 10, 2004
Skin City
Status
Attending Physician
Don't think HS gpa necessarily will say a lot about your chances to enter med school, let alone choice of speciality. It WILL of course play a role in college admissions, but also there you'll notice a lot of other parameters, like test scores, extracurricular activities etc.

Moving on, a very low gpa in college (or med school) might make progress more difficult, while a high gpa wouldn't necessarily make it considerably easier.

To the OP: Why not use your grades as a guide? Do you easily get good grades in science subjects, or do you work hard to stay above water? Remember, that medicine is initially quite heavy on science subjects, so it's not something you'd want to struggle unnecessarily with. Also, remember never to limit your options too soon. While medicine in itself is a huge and varied field, there's so many more other options out there, that you should consider before embarking on a VERY long journey (remember, that there's aprox. 12 years from you graduate from high school until you will get a real - no-training - job as a doctor).