question

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

thebadguy1999

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
what grades did you have in 9th grade and 11th (gpa)i got on my first semester 3.17 im in 9th grade right now

Members don't see this ad.

most med students had a 4.0 or close to it in hs. don't let that discourage you though. right now, just do your best and think about getting into a good college.

I graduated high school with a 2.6 gpa then college with a 4.0 gpa.

Don't sweat it...but remember college gpa and MCAT are for all the marbles!

Members don't see this ad :)
wooo said:
I graduated high school with a 2.6 gpa then college with a 4.0 gpa.

Don't sweat it...but remember college gpa and MCAT are for all the marbles!
I can vouch for that!! When I got my SAT's back they said I was ******ed but I'm in med school now!!

bottom 25% of my class
1160 SAT, didn't study a lick in high school
joined the Army for 3 yrs
College, physics major 3.8GPA
Med School :smuggrin:

A little maturity is everything. I still feel like it would have done me a lot of good to take a few years off before college.

Don't think HS gpa necessarily will say a lot about your chances to enter med school, let alone choice of speciality. It WILL of course play a role in college admissions, but also there you'll notice a lot of other parameters, like test scores, extracurricular activities etc.

Moving on, a very low gpa in college (or med school) might make progress more difficult, while a high gpa wouldn't necessarily make it considerably easier.

To the OP: Why not use your grades as a guide? Do you easily get good grades in science subjects, or do you work hard to stay above water? Remember, that medicine is initially quite heavy on science subjects, so it's not something you'd want to struggle unnecessarily with. Also, remember never to limit your options too soon. While medicine in itself is a huge and varied field, there's so many more other options out there, that you should consider before embarking on a VERY long journey (remember, that there's aprox. 12 years from you graduate from high school until you will get a real - no-training - job as a doctor).