MzzMisty

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
May 30, 2003
California
Visit site
Status
:confused: Hi everyone. I don't want to make this a long story so I'll cut it short. I started community college at the age of 23 and have been going on and off since then. I'm 26 going on to be 27 soon. I'm still not done with community college and still have a while till I can transfer to a university. I know that I can get through school but I'm struggling to support myself along the way so I was thinking about becoming a nurse for a while and continuing my education later in pursuit of medical school. I've heard some mixed comments about medical schools not wanting to accept RN's because it takes away from that field and makes the shortage even worse. I was wondering if any of this is valid? I was also hoping for an opinion on my plan.. At least I'll be able to have a stable job and income while I continue school, right now I just don't know what to do. It seems to make ends meet I have to put off a semester here and there to get a second job and work 160 hours a week. Any advice would be appreciated.. Thank You Misty

relentless11

Going broke and loving it
Moderator Emeritus
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Mar 30, 2001
Visit site
Status
Pre-Medical
MzzMisty said:
:confused: Hi everyone. I don't want to make this a long story so I'll cut it short. I started community college at the age of 23 and have been going on and off since then. I'm 26 going on to be 27 soon. I'm still not done with community college and still have a while till I can transfer to a university. I know that I can get through school but I'm struggling to support myself along the way so I was thinking about becoming a nurse for a while and continuing my education later in pursuit of medical school. I've heard some mixed comments about medical schools not wanting to accept RN's because it takes away from that field and makes the shortage even worse. I was wondering if any of this is valid? I was also hoping for an opinion on my plan.. At least I'll be able to have a stable job and income while I continue school, right now I just don't know what to do. It seems to make ends meet I have to put off a semester here and there to get a second job and work 160 hours a week. Any advice would be appreciated.. Thank You Misty
I don't think med schools have anything against nurses...or any other profession. The only flaw that I can see in your plans is your idea of continuing education later. Many professors, and physicians have told me that it may look good now, but when it comes time to go back to school, it can be VERY difficult.

(1) you've been out of the classroom for some time. Heck just taking 3 months off for summer vacation totally reduces my study skills when fall quarter comes around. I can't imagine what it would be like to take a year off :eek:.

(2) other things might come up between now and then (e.g., kids, family, etc). There's ALWAYS something. Even when you are going to school there's something.

(3) cost and difficulty of getting into med school will always increase. I remember when I first started as an undergrad. Med school here at UC Davis cost like $12k/year, and an MCAT score of 32 was the average. Today, it costs something like $25k/year, and the average MCAT score for admitted students has gone up to 33!

Everyone goes into debt, everyone has money issues. Work more, go to school less, I don't know. But I would recommend weighing things out and endeavor to push as far as you can before stopping school and working. I for one had to work 2 jobs as an undergrad, and my grades suffered for it. However during that time I also ended up in a great research lab at our university (UC Davis) which allowed me to continue my education as a post-bacc and now as a PhD student. As a PhD student, my tuition is paid for by the department, and a salary is provided. This allows me to earn a doctorate degree, conduct clinical research, and rehabilitate my undergrad GPA. Luck has a lot to do with it, but at the same time I was also proactive in finding such opportunities. It appears you are from CA, so you know already how hard it is to get into school, even at the undergrad level.

I'm saying these things not to discourage you, but it is the truth. Its a difficult process regardless of how old you are.

MiesVanDerMom

D.o. or Die
10+ Year Member
Nov 16, 2004
With my husband, my kids, and the hellcat
Status
Resident [Any Field]
i know there are some nurses here on the non-trad forum who were discussing this in the thread called "success stories". they were saying the med school/nursing thing is not true. check it out... :luck:

About the Ads

obrn

10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Jun 20, 2006
Status
Medical Student
I think that nursing is a fantastic career choice for a lot of people...but it's a TON of work. If it isn't what you want to do, then you may not want to put forth the time, energy and effort that is required for nursing, if in the end you are wanting to do medical school anyway. Don't get me wrong, I am extremely happy to have had the opportunities that being a nurse has given me. But it certainly wasn't easy. The first year or so that I was a nurse I had very little time for anything else -- I don't know how you would attend/study for upper division classes while trying to work at the same time. I'm not trying to discourage you, but if you are simply looking for a job with a steady income that you can do while in school, there are a lot of jobs that would be easier than nursing.

Best of luck!

OP
MzzMisty

MzzMisty

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
May 30, 2003
California
Visit site
Status
thanks for the replies they were all appreciated. any more opinions are welcome :)

MollyMalone

I'm a Score Quadruplet
Moderator Emeritus
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Sep 30, 2004
The anterosuperior branch of the inferomedial some
Status
I had no static from schools about applying, and I am a RN.

That said, I practiced full time for a number of years before even starting the prereqs for med school. It was not something I did just to pay the bills beforehand.

I agree with obrn. I think it's important for new nursing grads to spend a lot of time on the floor in the first year or two in order to get your skills up to par... in my opinion, nursing school provides the foundation, while it is the on-the-job training afterwards that really cements your learning. I also would not recommend working part-time and taking classes while fresh from nursing school. It is not an easy job and the learning curve is steep.

In short, I don't recommend nursing solely as a path to medical school. This is not to say that it couldn't possibly work for someone, but I think it's less than ideal.

OP
MzzMisty

MzzMisty

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
May 30, 2003
California
Visit site
Status
I agree with you when you say that you don't believe nursing should be solely a path to medical school. I was thinking about nursing for a couple of years and maybe doing some traveling as a nurse. I would love to be able to travel and see different states/countries :D . I also think that being a nurse might perhaps give me another perspective in which I could benefit from later on in life (also during medical school) and not to mention that while I am going to school it would also help to have a steady job that I can support myself with. I'm sole provider for myself and I don't want to have to keep taking classes on and off every year because I need a roof over my head and shoes on my feet :eek: (so to speak). I just worry sometimes that I might end up getting to "old", :scared: but then I see the age everyone is on here and the experience and wisdom that comes when your a little older :love: and it makes it seem like a great idea to wait till later to go to medical school. Im relieved that medical schools do not look down upon a RN becoming a MD. I guess my only concern would be that I would probably be a little older when I start medical school but I would also have traveled and I will also have more experience. I guess I'm just undecided whether or not I should take classes on and off for a couple of years while I'm struggling or just go the other route. If I were to become a nurse it would be a great opportunity and also a stepping stone to my future plans. Thanks again for all of your opinions I appreciate them. ;)

MollyMalone said:
I had no static from schools about applying, and I am a RN.

That said, I practiced full time for a number of years before even starting the prereqs for med school. It was not something I did just to pay the bills beforehand.

I agree with obrn. I think it's important for new nursing grads to spend a lot of time on the floor in the first year or two in order to get your skills up to par... in my opinion, nursing school provides the foundation, while it is the on-the-job training afterwards that really cements your learning. I also would not recommend working part-time and taking classes while fresh from nursing school. It is not an easy job and the learning curve is steep.

In short, I don't recommend nursing solely as a path to medical school. This is not to say that it couldn't possibly work for someone, but I think it's less than ideal.

OP
MzzMisty

MzzMisty

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
May 30, 2003
California
Visit site
Status
just wanted a bump for more opinions sorry :D

About the Ads