question

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

incisorgirl

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
which of the following undergoes hyperplasia in pregnancy
-endometrium
-myometrium

Members don't see this ad.

So what do you think thickens when a woman is pregnant? As far as I have read in costanzo and online the myometrium undergoes hyperplasia. It makes sense, you would need a muscular uterus to support the baby.

Members don't see this ad :)
whoops, my bad - read the question as for pregnancy not in pregnancy. Doesnt' make the question that easy but regardless I was under the impression that the myometrium undergoes hypertrophy rather than hyperplasia during pregnancy. I really shouldn't answer questions about topics I havne't reviewed yet.

We were taught that both hyperplasia and hypertrophy play a role in the myometrium during pregnancy. A quick check of a textbook seems to indicate that as well:

Gabbe's Obstetrics: Normal and Problem Pregnancies says "During gestation, uterine growth follows an initial phase of hyperplasia regulated by endocrine factors, a second phase in the 2nd and 3rd trimesters during which uterine growth is closely matched to fetal growth, and a final, third phase during which the rate of uterine growth declines relative to increasing fetal growth," which suggests to me that hyperplasia plays some role.

so what's going on with the endometrium during pregnancy?

theres hyperplasia and hypertrophy of the myometrium (its really amazing just how thick the uterus becomes)