question

This forum made possible through the generous support of
SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Lisochka

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I appologize upfront for my question because its unrelated to admission proces.
My vision is getting worse. I am thinking of getting glasses. However,I have heard that once you get glasses, your vision is going to go down much faster. They say that without glasses you sort of train your eye muscle. Once you get glasses you won't be able to do so, so your eye muscles will become weak and your vision will decline more compared to if you never used glasses.
Is that true?

Members don't see this ad.

quite the contrary, you already answered your own question..... your vision is getting worse already as you said, the only things glasses does is correct for that. When you take your glasses off your going to notice your vision sucks without glasses, that is because you don't know what the world is supposed to look like. With clear vision you're going to see the world like never before, when you take the glasses off, you ll go back to crappy vision. If you're near sighted (cant see well out at distance) that can get worse because you're doing a lot of near work and tasks that require a lot of you're eyes, but the glasses themselves don't cause a continual decline in your vision.

quite the contrary, you already answered your own question..... your vision is getting worse already as you said, the only things glasses does is correct for that. When you take your glasses off your going to notice your vision sucks without glasses, that is because you don't know what the world is supposed to look like. With clear vision you're going to see the world like never before, when you take the glasses off, you ll go back to crappy vision. If you're near sighted (cant see well out at distance) that can get worse because you're doing a lot of near work and tasks that require a lot of you're eyes, but the glasses themselves don't cause a continual decline in your vision.

thank you so much for your answer.

You are right, I am ner sighted. I can see close, but everything is blurry if its far away from me.
When I was taking my prerequisites I had 20/20. 2 years into my pharmacy program and I have 20/100....:eek:

so what do you guys think, my insurance is crapy, does not cover much of vision. Should I go to an optometrist (that will cost me about $500-$600), or should I go to an optometrist in Walmart (that will cost me probably around $200-$300). I think my insurance will cover about 20% of the lynses cost and does not cover eye exam, nor glasses frame...

Anyway, is there a big difference in quality between an optometrist owning his/her own practice and a Walmart/Shopko optometrist?

I asked a receptionist who works at the privite optometrsit office and she said that their lynses are made from a better quality material...Does that quality material difference really matter?
Someone told me to just go to Shopko or Walmart and try on few glasses and buy the ones that work for me without seeing an optometrist.

I want my vision not to go down anymore...
what would you do?

Members don't see this ad :)

You are right, I am ner sighted. I can see close, but everything is blurry if its far away from me.
When I was taking my prerequisites I had 20/20. 2 years into my pharmacy program and I have 20/100....:eek:

so what do you guys think, my insurance is crapy, does not cover much of vision. Should I go to an optometrist (that will cost me about $500-$600), or should I go to an optometrist in Walmart (that will cost me probably around $200-$300). I think my insurance will cover about 20% of the lynses cost and does not cover eye exam, nor glasses frame...

Anyway, is there a big difference in quality between an optometrist owning his/her own practice and a Walmart/Shopko optometrist?

I asked a receptionist who works at the privite optometrsit office and she said that their lynses are made from a better quality material...Does that quality material difference really matter?
Someone told me to just go to Shopko or Walmart and try on few glasses and buy the ones that work for me without seeing an optometrist.

I want my vision not to go down anymore...
what would you do?

Whether it is a fancy private practice, a closet office in Costco or the military: The doctor is still a doctor. The difference is not in their skill but possibly with the specialty equipment, selection of glasses/contacts or etc.

I agree, a doc is a doc. They should always perform comprehensive exams and really not skip out on anything even if they are in a WalMart.

Quality of lenses is important. Cheap lenses either don't have as good optics (so your vision is not as good as it could be with glasses on) and don't forget safety. Cheap lenses are generally thicker as well, and don't include the extra coatings a lens will offer such as anti glare or antireflective coatings. Not only would these aide in your visual comfort, but they are more appealing when you wear them on your face. So someone can see your eyes instead of all the reflections coming off your cheap lenses!

I would have any optometrist check you out for glasses. I don't think any "doctor" is a "doctor" however as my wife is an O.D and she would be the first to tell you that in our office if a patient coded and something happened she would get the heck out of the way. Sort of like saying a Psychology "doctor" is the same as a ER physician. I don;t think so. I am an eye surgeon (M.D). That being said an optom should be able to fit you for glasses.

I would have any optometrist check you out for glasses. I don't think any "doctor" is a "doctor" however as my wife is an O.D and she would be the first to tell you that in our office if a patient coded and something happened she would get the heck out of the way. Sort of like saying a Psychology "doctor" is the same as a ER physician. I don;t think so. I am an eye surgeon (M.D). That being said an optom should be able to fit you for glasses.

I've met several ophthalmologists (also known as "eye surgeon, M.D."), and even have a family member OMD, all of whom would also "get the heck out of the way" and call 911. Troll.

I think you missed the point of the "a doctor is a doctor" thing. They were talking specifically about ODs in different practice settings. Maybe you should leave the reading comprehension to us ODs.

I've helped out 2 patients and counting so far on airlines when they "can't breathe, faint, barf and go unconscious." No tracheotomies yet....

So I disagree. Your wife was trained in CPR techniques in school so if her Px coded I would hope she knew what to do. If not then she is doing a disservice to her patients.

Also I have seen PLENTY of MDs not know how to handle a code, especially if its not their daily profession. Dr. Conrad Murray (interventionalist cardio doing CPR on a bed) ring a bell???