Questionable experiences to truly explain interest in medicine (long post)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

smallbiz2doc

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Post removed by OP

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Keeping it honest: you sound like a quack waiting to happen. It would be a waste of time training you in medical science just to go on and practice unproven therapies, but hey, some schools want diversity so who knows.

Members don't see this ad :)
Keeping it honest: you sound like a quack waiting to happen. It would be a waste of time training you in medical science just to go on and practice unproven therapies, but hey, some schools want diversity so who knows.

I was kind of expecting to find some alternative therapies were wrong, hence learning allopathic medicine. Then with that background, I can know which ones do and don't work and be able to articulate why and why not (by bothering to educate myself about them), rather than saying "sorry I can't advise you on that."

I certainly wouldn't practice something I learned later to not really work. I'm sorry I gave you that impression.

Last edited:
I didn't see your OP, but I strongly advise you to avoid in any way presenting an opinion positive toward any alternative therapies that are impossible to reconcile with the known laws of physics, chemistry, and biology. I would personally vote to reject an applicant who, say, was a practitioner of reiki, believed that water molecules have memory even when there is no active substance present, or claimed that acupuncture meridians really exist. I'll grant that learning about CAM is helpful because so many patients believe in it, and knowledge of CAM is helpful to be able to counsel patients about it. But in the sense that there is no proof for most alternative therapies beyond a hodgepodge of anecdotes, just about *all* of them are "wrong."

Reactions: 1 user
I didn't see your OP, but I strongly advise you to avoid in any way presenting an opinion positive toward any alternative therapies that are impossible to reconcile with the known laws of physics, chemistry, and biology. I would personally vote to reject an applicant who, say, was a practitioner of reiki, believed that water molecules have memory even when there is no active substance present, or claimed that acupuncture meridians really exist. I'll grant that learning about CAM is helpful because so many patients believe in it, and knowledge of CAM is helpful to be able to counsel patients about it. But in the sense that there is no proof for most alternative therapies beyond a hodgepodge of anecdotes, just about *all* of them are "wrong."

Thank you.

Last edited:
As an update, I finally realized part of getting out there in the clinical environment is so that reasons for entering medicine are not limited to personal experience. I'm checking out volunteering at the reagional mental health facility. Nobody is going to care about how I found out about light therapy an whatever supplements to help me out of depression. They are going to care about my experience around people who have much worse problems than I did and learning things I don't even know I will learn yet right now.

Nobody is going to care about how I found out about light therapy an whatever supplements to help me out of depression. They are going to care about my experience around people who have much worse problems than I did and learning things I don't even know I will learn yet right now.

There ya go.. You get it.