Should I write the Other Impactful Experiences essay?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

karaya

Reaction score
Sorry to belabor an old question. I have read the relevant threads and AAMC materials but I am still a bit confused. I would much appreciate input from current or former adcom members, thank you.

In short, my family has always lived below the poverty line. We had free school lunch, SNAP, and other gov't assistance. I saw shootings outside my window. I also worked with my dad in construction starting at age 12, full-time in the summers. (Yes, 12 years old; he was an independent contractor with no oversight.) But the thing is, I didn't feel very "disadvantaged"--although I know AAMC has superseded the term. I attended a great college on scholarship and did reasonably well. So I don't know if my experiences warrant the essay, or if they are just your run-of-the-mill travails. I guess I need some perspective.

Members don't see this ad.

• Care
Reactions: 1 user
Sorry to belabor an old question. I have read the relevant threads and AAMC materials but I am still a bit confused. I would much appreciate input from current or former adcom members, thank you.

In short, my family has always lived below the poverty line. We had free school lunch, SNAP, and other gov't assistance. I saw shootings outside my window. I also worked with my dad in construction starting at age 12, full-time in the summers. (Yes, 12 years old; he was an independent contractor with no oversight.) But the thing is, I didn't feel very "disadvantaged"--although I know AAMC has superseded the term. I attended a great college on scholarship and did reasonably well. So I don't know if my experiences warrant the essay, or if they are just your run-of-the-mill travails. I guess I need some perspective.
Yes, those are very relevant and a clear-cut reason for filling out the other impactful experience section. A lot of students did not have anything like this growing up.

TLDR : Yes. The challenge is summarizing into the character limit. You also will have a chance to disclose for ERAS with even fewer characters.

Thank you both very much for your answers. I will go ahead with this essay then.