Questions about accredited programs in another country

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Malknar

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
hi, I'm from Saudi Arabia, and here there is a 4-year internal medicine residency program that is accredited by the Royal College of Physicians & Surgeons of Canada.

My questions are:

1- Canadian programs are usually 5 years, but the one in Saudi Arabia is 4 years. If I finish the Saudi Program will I be eligible to take the canadian board, or will I have to study extra year in Canada?

2- Does the accreditation means I'll be treated exactly as if I finished the residency in Canada? (eg, will I be able to work in Canada if I wanted to?)

3- Will I be able to take the american board in internal medicine if I took the canadian board?

I realize these questions may be better answered by the Saudi program director, and I will ask him, but I'd like your opinion as well.

Members don't see this ad.

I would ask the Canadian board. It should be quite a simple question and response.

1- IM training in Canada is 4 years long.
2- once you pass the Royal college (Canadian board) IM exam, you will need to be in supervised practice depending on the province
3.ABIM is seperate from the Canadian boards - so i believe you can still take it even if you take the canadian board.