Questions about applying to both MD/phD and MD

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
C

Caveman7

I realized lately that I wanted to pursue academic medicine. Patient care, research, teaching are all inseparable things that I want to do. So naturally, I started to think about mstp's. For so long I have prepared for solely MD, but my knowledge is a little limited when it comes to md/pHD. I realize that you don't necessarily need a md/phD to pursue medical academia, but it certainly helps to be a expert at your own field I believe. I am actually more interested in patient care and teaching, more than I am interested in research. As I understand it, physician-scientists generally spend about ~70% of their time on research, this is something I do not really want to do. Would it be in my interests to just pursue MD? My goals was more along the line of 50% patient care, 30% teaching, 20% research, if there is such a ratio.

I have several questions regarding applying to both programs, the first being: Am I competitive for md/phd programs?

I have a 3.8 gpa, 34 mcat (12/10/12), 3 years of research in a basic bench research focused on brain cancer, and by the time I apply, about 9 months in a clinical research under my hospital's psychiatry department. In my basic research, I have several poster publications, and a paper that will be submitted by June. Other things include 300+ hours of hospital volunteering, and many more hours for non-hospital volunteering, as well as some leadership opportunities at my college. Shadowing, etc. I tried to be well rounded in the most genuine way possible.

Are there two different applications for just MD and md/pHD programs?

How should I prepare my LOR's, I've read that you should send all your letters for just MD but have specific md/phD ones set aside for mtsp's? Also, is it fine to have professors write two letters, one for just MD and one more geared for md/phd?

This is a small worry. My PS is really geared towards academic medicine, which really embodies my true motivations for medicine. It was the best way I could answer why medicine? I feel like only MD programs will question it immediately and ask why isn't this kid applying to MD/pHD? Is this a problem I should worry about?

What is the lifestyle like as a md/phD? I trouble myself with the possibility of being a poor father, since work may take so much time

Is there anything else I should know regarding the application process?

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited by a moderator:
What I want to do is focus on my patients, teach residents and medical students (I guess the teaching of medical students belongs mostly to professors), and to also do clinical research. However, I do not want to focus the majority of my time on research. I am starting to think that mstp might not be for me. Please lend me your advice guys.

I'll answer all your questions but I do not think MD/PhD is for you.

I realized lately that I wanted to pursue academic medicine. Patient care, research, teaching are all inseparable things that I want to do. So naturally, I started to think about mstp's. For so long I have prepared for solely MD, but my knowledge is a little limited when it comes to md/pHD. I realize that you don't necessarily need a md/phD to pursue medical academia, but it certainly helps to be a expert at your own field I believe. I am actually more interested in patient care and teaching, more than I am interested in research. As I understand it, physician-scientists generally spend about ~70% of their time on research, this is something I do not really want to do. Would it be in my interests to just pursue MD? My goals was more along the line of 50% patient care, 30% teaching, 20% research, if there is such a ratio.

I have several questions regarding applying to both programs, the first being: Am I competitive for md/phd programs?

By numbers and research experience alone, yes you would be a competitive applicant for MD/PhD programs, but no program is going to accept you if you tell them that you don't really want to do research. They want the ratio to be closer to 80% research, 20% patient care.

I have a 3.8 gpa, 34 mcat (12/10/12), 3 years of research in a basic bench research focused on brain cancer, and by the time I apply, about 9 months in a clinical research under my hospital's psychiatry department. In my basic research, I have several poster publications, and a paper that will be submitted by June. Other things include 300+ hours of hospital volunteering, and many more hours for non-hospital volunteering, as well as some leadership opportunities at my college. Shadowing, etc. I tried to be well rounded in the most genuine way possible.

Are there two different applications for just MD and md/pHD programs?

Yes and no. MD and MD/PhD applications are both run by AMCAS, but there are 2 additional essays for the MD/PhD application: "Why MD/PhD?" and "Describe your significant research experiences." Most secondaries have either a separate MD/PhD application or additional essays. Unless it's a school's policy to consider apps for both MD and MD/PhD, you cannot apply to both at the same time at a single place.

How should I prepare my LOR's, I've read that you should send all your letters for just MD but have specific md/phD ones set aside for mtsp's? Also, is it fine to have professors write two letters, one for just MD and one more geared for md/phd?

It would probably be best to have 2 separate letters one for MD and one for MD/PhD from a single writer. However, this may be much to ask for. You could also have your letter writers use generic wording and not reference MD or MD/PhD specifically.

This is a small worry. My PS is really geared towards academic medicine, which really embodies my true motivations for medicine. It was the best way I could answer why medicine? I feel like only MD programs will question it immediately and ask why isn't this kid applying to MD/pHD? Is this a problem I should worry about?

I don't think so. You might get asked at an interview why you didn't apply MD/PhD, but once you say that you want to be mostly a teacher and clinician and don't want to do research, they will agree that you shouldn't have applied MD/PhD.

What is the lifestyle like as a md/phD? I trouble myself with the possibility of being a poor father, since work may take so much time

I can't give specific anecdotes because I haven't started yet, but from visiting many programs, there have always been current students that are also parents. They have generally said that it's easier to take care of newborns during the PhD phase, and the hardest time would be during 3rd year of med school. In terms of later down the road, you will be paid less than your full-time clinician peers, but you will be well off. You also won't have the debt that MD grads have.

Is there anything else I should know regarding the application process?

You won't stand a chance at getting into an MD/PhD program if you say you don't want to do research. Also it definitely won't be worth it to you if that's really how you feel. Apply MD.

Members don't see this ad :)
My goals was more along the line of 50% patient care, 30% teaching, 20% research, if there is such a ratio.

Your preferences are very reasonable for MD only. Nobody, MD or MD/PhD, would want you to be MD/PhD if you are thinking about 20% research. The vast majority of academic physicians are MD only and fall into the camp you are describing (50%+ patient care, some teaching, some research).

Lots of MDs do research. You don't have to be an MD/PhD to do research.