Skeptical about MD-PhD prospects

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

JAG321

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello! I’m a rising senior at a ‘rigorous’ private research institute, thinking about applying to MD-PhD programs with one gap year. I’m hoping that ppl could evaluate my chances and give me some tips based on my my stats and (current) experience:

GPA: 3.9c (3.9s and 3.9ns)
MCAT: taking on 8/25, realistically aiming for a 512+

Research Experience:

- I’m pursuing a dual BS/MS degree in biochem, which means that I’ll graduate with a master’s degree in addition to my bachelors at the end of my four years.

- Two labs, ~2500 hours total. 2 grants totaling $11k, 3 posters over 3 summers, and 1 publication on the docket. Research revolves around molecular biology and enzymology, so non-clinical.

Clinical Experience:

- 30 hours volunteering at a nursing home
- 15 shadowing hours, planning on racking up more
- Applied to be a medical scribe during my senior year
- Planning on doing some volunteering through my school.

Extras:

Jazz band, vice president of athletics club, founder and editor-in-chief of research journal (newly formed). Hobbies include tennis, endurance and weightlifting athletics, all that jazz.

Gap year plans:

- no definitive plans yet, although I’m yearning to get some industry experience. Might do clinical research.
Would love to hear y’all’s thoughts. Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

You definitely need to get the clinical experience and insight into translational medicine, which is something MD/PhD is well positioned for. I don't think you have enough on the volunteering side since you are in the planning stage. The big question is what you think you need both degrees for. Not enough here to figure out if you have a sense of the department and mentors you really want to work with (not necessarily name the PI now, but at least a good idea of what would make a great research PI/mentor for you).

To be honest, MD/PhD programs don't care much about volunteering and substantial (>100 hrs) of clinical experiences. However, we need to present your potential acceptance to the MD admissions committee (this is a LCME requirement). Therefore, getting at least to 100 clinical hours overall is most useful. In general, MD/PhD applicants have substantial (>1000 hrs) research experiences, and this is what most MD/PhD committees focus upon.

Reactions: 2 users