Questions about applying to UBC to take Pharmacy School pre reqs

Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

Roc Marciano

Full Member
10+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
hello, I`ve asked this on other forums but I`m not getting many answers so I thought I might as well try here too.

Well first of all I`m the first one in my family who`s going to be going to university so I don`t really have anyone to ask about this stuff next to my high school counselors who haven`t been much help.

So anyways, I`m currently in grade 12 and I hope to become a Pharmacist but I have a few questions about which road to take and how to apply properly. The first question I have is what would be a better choice, just taking the required pre-reqs for pharmacy school or getting a bachelors degree first.

The second question I have is, if you get some sort of bachelors degree, say Bachelor of Science, would you even complete the required pre reqs? Or would it not matter because you have a degree?

Thirdly, can you take all the pre reqs than apply to pharmacy school, and if you don`t get in, complete another 2 years to get a degree?

And lastly, how do you even apply to take specific pre req courses? Can you pick and choose courses or something?

Thanks,
and if anyone here`s a UBC student also looking to become a pharmacist can I PM you some questions?
 
hello, I`ve asked this on other forums but I`m not getting many answers so I thought I might as well try here too.

Well first of all I`m the first one in my family who`s going to be going to university so I don`t really have anyone to ask about this stuff next to my high school counselors who haven`t been much help.

So anyways, I`m currently in grade 12 and I hope to become a Pharmacist but I have a few questions about which road to take and how to apply properly. The first question I have is what would be a better choice, just taking the required pre-reqs for pharmacy school or getting a bachelors degree first.

The second question I have is, if you get some sort of bachelors degree, say Bachelor of Science, would you even complete the required pre reqs? Or would it not matter because you have a degree?

Thirdly, can you take all the pre reqs than apply to pharmacy school, and if you don`t get in, complete another 2 years to get a degree?

And lastly, how do you even apply to take specific pre req courses? Can you pick and choose courses or something?

Thanks,
and if anyone here`s a UBC student also looking to become a pharmacist can I PM you some questions?

1. Does not matter if you take pre-reqs or get your BA. Most apply during their second year of college. Some wait till they get their Bachelors. It's up to you. The goal is to get the grades necessary to be accepted.

2. You need to take pre-reqs no matter what your major is. You don't even need to choose a major till 3rd year, so you can just take pharmacy pre-reqs.

3. Yes, you can. If you don't get in, work on improving your stats and apply when you would get your Bachelors.

4. You talk to the school that you're accepted at, and tell them that you are a Pre-Pharmacy student. They will give you your courses accordingly.

My questions:

1. Why do you want to be a Pharmacist?

2. What do you feel like you want to accomplish out of this?

3. Do you have a passion for hard sciences, such as Chemistry?

4. Have you shadowed a Pharmacist?

Pharmacy is a slightly over-saturated market, just like Law. There are so many Lawyers and Pharmacists that it may prove difficult to find a job Post-Grad for you.

If you haven't shadowed a Pharmacist, look into it and go that route.

Make sure you absolutely love Pharmaceutical work before you commit 6 years of training to the endeavor.
 
1. Does not matter if you take pre-reqs or get your BA. Most apply during their second year of college. Some wait till they get their Bachelors. It's up to you. The goal is to get the grades necessary to be accepted.

2. You need to take pre-reqs no matter what your major is. You don't even need to choose a major till 3rd year, so you can just take pharmacy pre-reqs.

3. Yes, you can. If you don't get in, work on improving your stats and apply when you would get your Bachelors.

4. You talk to the school that you're accepted at, and tell them that you are a Pre-Pharmacy student. They will give you your courses accordingly.

My questions:

1. Why do you want to be a Pharmacist?

2. What do you feel like you want to accomplish out of this?

3. Do you have a passion for hard sciences, such as Chemistry?

4. Have you shadowed a Pharmacist?

Pharmacy is a slightly over-saturated market, just like Law. There are so many Lawyers and Pharmacists that it may prove difficult to find a job Post-Grad for you.

If you haven't shadowed a Pharmacist, look into it and go that route.

Make sure you absolutely love Pharmaceutical work before you commit 6 years of training to the endeavor.

Thanks man and,
1. I`m not really the type of guy who likes physically demanding work, I like working alone and doing things quietly, plus chemistry and biology really interest me

2. A job that I feel best suits my interests.

3. Chemistry`s been my favorite subject since about grade 10 and Bio`s second.. Physics is alright but not a favorite

4. Nope but I`ll look into it like you said

Also I`ve searched about the demand of Pharmacists where I live, I couldn`t find anything to recent but in 2010 there was a huge demand for Pharmacists in Canada (Ranked in the top 10 most high demand jobs).. But more specifically there was also a demand for Pharmacists in my province (BC) in both 2010 and 2011. I know the number of registered pharmacists is increasing rapidly though.
 
1. Does not matter if you take pre-reqs or get your BA. Most apply during their second year of college. Some wait till they get their Bachelors. It's up to you. The goal is to get the grades necessary to be accepted.

2. You need to take pre-reqs no matter what your major is. You don't even need to choose a major till 3rd year, so you can just take pharmacy pre-reqs.

3. Yes, you can. If you don't get in, work on improving your stats and apply when you would get your Bachelors.

4. You talk to the school that you're accepted at, and tell them that you are a Pre-Pharmacy student. They will give you your courses accordingly.

My questions:

1. Why do you want to be a Pharmacist?

2. What do you feel like you want to accomplish out of this?

3. Do you have a passion for hard sciences, such as Chemistry?

4. Have you shadowed a Pharmacist?

Pharmacy is a slightly over-saturated market, just like Law. There are so many Lawyers and Pharmacists that it may prove difficult to find a job Post-Grad for you.

If you haven't shadowed a Pharmacist, look into it and go that route.

Make sure you absolutely love Pharmaceutical work before you commit 6 years of training to the endeavor.
Hey I was just wondering, just to make sure, when I apply do I apply to general sciences and once/if I get accepted tell the school to give me Pre-Pharmacy classes? Or is there something else I should be applying to...

I e-mailed the school as well but I'm still waiting for a reply.