Questions about becoming a LMHC

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

missmarie10

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi,

I am interested in pursuing a master's degree in MHC, as well as possibly a dual MFT. Would I have to complete double the number of clinical hours to obtain both a LMHC and LMFT? Also, I am confused about whether or not post-graduation, pre-licensure work is typically paid or unpaid. (It's painful to envision working for free while holding a graduate degree.) Lastly, how is the employment outlook for mental health therapists? I would love to work at a college/university counseling center and possibly also have the opportunity to teach. As a 2010 college graduate who has had trouble finding consistent and meaningful work, I need to know I will be employable before pursuing this career path.

Thanks!
Marie

Members don't see this ad.

Each license carries its own requirements. You may want to check with your state board to make sure you will meet the criteria for your desired license. I'm not positive about the double clinical hours bit. Maybe someone else can answer that. From my point of view though, it makes no sense to get both of these licenses. Either one of them and you can do the job of the other, really. To my knowledge, MHC's are more recognized and have an easier time with billing (and their annual income is higher). If I were you, I'd get that license, and specialize in some MFT coursework/post-grad training and market myself that way.

When it comes to teaching, you will face some seriously stiff competition. I would pretty much cross teaching at universities and state colleges off your list. You could probably get a teaching gig at a community college, but again, be prepared for some stiff competition against PhD's who are frustrated and can't get a university job and are settling at the CC level. One way to get an advantage in this area would be to pick up an adjunct position (very possible) at a community college, and then with that experience, you'll be more marketable/attractive. Don't let the idea of teaching at a CC discourage you. I've seen postings for full-time faculty at CC's who offer a minimum of $40k pay! Could you imagine doing that, and having a handful of clients you see on Saturday or something? Ah, heaven... (and no research!)

If you want to do clinical work at a college counseling center, this is absolutely possible. While many positions I've seen posted ask for a PhD or PsyD, I have seen a number that also look for master's level clinicians. If you can land one of your internships during grad school at a college counseling center, then major freakin' bonus for your resume :)

Kudos for asking these questions now. And good luck!

The competition for college counseling positions can be tough, but many do tend to higher more masters-level than doctoral-level practitioners from what I've seen, with the latter generally focusing in supervisory and/or administrative roles. However, as LivingOffLoans mentioned, your ability to parlay that into a teaching position would be a tough sell given that there are quite literally thousands of PhDs out there looking for the same jobs. Not that it'd be impossible, but particularly at a larger university (such as one that would have a counseling center), you're going to be fighting a very significantly uphill battle.

To my knowledge, MHC's are more recognized and have an easier time with billing (and their annual income is higher). If I were you, I'd get that license, and specialize in some MFT coursework/post-grad training and market myself that way.

I think this is regional. For example, in my state, the LPC is new, and MFTs have more traction, and many believe that the MSW is an even better degree than the MFT (in terms of employability). Best perhaps to visit your state's Board of Behavioral Sciences (or equivalent) website to get requirements, talk to people in your region, search local job ads.

This dual license topic actually got some attention on a recent thread (can't recall when or which forum). One poster noted that s/he had maintained two masters level licenses and that it had broadened opportunities in terms of providing supervision across licenses. Another poster noted that a pitfall might be needing to maintain dual liability insurance, CEUs, double renewal fees and the like.