Questions About Becoming a Pharmacist?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Fast Force

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm currently in grade 10 right now, and there is nothing I want to do when I grow up but be a Pharmacist. Everything about it seems to interest me, and I'm not in it for the money. I have a few questions though

1) I'm planning on going to college. Will my chances of being accepted into Pharmacy school decrease because of this?

2) I'm determined to become a Pharmacist, and I am willing to work hard every day. What are my chances of being accepted into Pharmacy school? The thought of not making it has always frightened me.

3) Did you go to college or University? If college, did you go to University after?

4) Does everyone (who did OK in college or University) eventually make it into Pharmacy school, and become a Pharmacist?

5) (Optional) Is the work in Pharmacy school easier or harder than you thought it would be?

Thanks for the help. I just discovered this forum, and have been reading a lot of info on Pharmacy the past few weeks. :)

I'm in Canada, Toronto Ontario to be exact.

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
1) I'm planning on going to college. Will my chances of being accepted into Pharmacy school decrease because of this?

2) I'm determined to become a Pharmacist, and I am willing to work hard every day. What are my chances of being accepted into Pharmacy school? The thought of not making it has always frightened me.

3) Did you go to college or University? If college, did you go to University after?

4) Does everyone (who did OK in college or University) eventually make it into Pharmacy school, and become a Pharmacist?

I would be happy to answer your questions, but first I need you to explain the difference between college and University.

Edit: Welcome to the boards! :welcome:

I'm in Canada, we have colleges and Universities. I'm taking applied subjects in high school right now, applied subjects are easier than academic. Applied gets you into college, academic gets you into University.

Members don't see this ad :)
I'm in Canada, we have colleges and Universities. I'm taking applied subjects in high school right now, applied subjects are easier than academic. Applied gets you into college, academic gets you into University.

Ah, ty, sadly I can't help you then, I have no idea how you canadians do it.

At least I got to meet one of the famous people on this forum, I've seen you post on a lot of the topics I view. Thanks anyway.

I'm not as knowledgeable as many of the people on the forums but since no one else has answered ill try to answer some of them

Decrease your chances because you go to college? College prerequisite coursework is REQUIRED for being accepted into pharmacy school. (Unless you manage to transfer to a 6 year right out of high school)..Not sure I understand

Well, you haven't even started college, so I can't give you any idea on your chances at the moment. Acceptance mainly depends on:

Good overall GPA
Good Math/Science GPA
Good score on the PCAT (if the school you are applying to requires it)
Volunteering/extracurricular activities
Work experience in a pharmacy or other health care setting

You have to be a well rounded applicant to get accepted, there is no guarantee that anyone will necessarily get accepted or even make it through Pharm school...However, if you really want to become a pharmacist and work hard, you'll be fine.

I'm currently in grade 10 right now, and there is nothing I want to do when I grow up but be a Pharmacist. Everything about it seems to interest me, and I'm not in it for the money. I have a few questions though

5) (Optional) Is the work in Pharmacy school easier or harder than you thought it would be?

Thanks for the help. I just discovered this forum, and have been reading a lot of info on Pharmacy the past few weeks. :)

I'm in Canada, Toronto Ontario to be exact.
I went to University of Toronto's website and found this:
http://pharmacy.utoronto.ca/programs/bsc/admissions/requirements.htm

It seems like they only accept university courses and not college ones.

1) It doesn't look like college courses are accepted as pre-requisites so you will need to go to a university (you may want to email UofT admissions just in case to make sure but it doesn't look like they accept college courses)

2) It's quite competitive to get in. Your chances will depend on how good you do in your pre-requisites, PCAT and extracurricular activities/pharmacy experience.

3) I went to University for my pre-requisites.

4) No, not everyone who did OK in University makes it to pharmacy school. There are a lot of applicants and you have to do really well to stand out. Not trying to discourage you or anything but it is quite competitive.

5) The work is definitely harder than the pre-requisites but it's not impossible.