Questions About BOLC

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

twh019

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
First year dental student here who would really like to do BOLC after this year...

Does anyone know what kind of things I need to start getting on top of to do so?
I've looked for 2014 dates online for BOLC (short course) for the Army and haven't found much (as well as MODS).
Just curious as to if anyone can point me in the right direction as for preparing to spend summer in Texas.

Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

Firstly make sure you're ready to pass the APFT. This is probably the only thing that actually fails people from BOLC. Beyond that there's really not much you need to do to prepare. You'll learn all you need to know while you're there. If you want you can go out to a range and get used to shooting a firearm so you're more comfortable while there. The other big thing I'd suggest for Army in general is to read through the Officer's Guide multiple times. Get used to military ranks and drill and ceremony.

Hope that helps.

First year dental student here who would really like to do BOLC after this year...

Does anyone know what kind of things I need to start getting on top of to do so?
I've looked for 2014 dates online for BOLC (short course) for the Army and haven't found much (as well as MODS).
Just curious as to if anyone can point me in the right direction as for preparing to spend summer in Texas.

Thanks!

The dates this year are 13 June to 26 July. Here is the link to the BOLC Homepage: http://www.cs.amedd.army.mil/BOLC/ this will have a welcome letter, packing list and so forth.

The best advice past getting in shape is to purchase your boots now asd start wearing them. Nothing worse than breaking in new boots...

Members don't see this ad :)
The best advice past getting in shape is to purchase your boots now and start wearing them. Nothing worse than breaking in new boots...

^ This!!! 1000x This! If you go from regular shoes to boots at BOLC your feet will hate you so much. I'd highly suggest getting with your local recruiter and going out to an Army base so you can get your uniform and get used to wearing it and wearing it correctly. If you can come into BOLC and actually look like you know what you're doing you'll be set. Overall though BOLC is super fun.

I was in the super short course (21 days) and I'm very glad to see that they did away with that as I didn't get near enough out of BOLC. Doing the 6 week course will be much better for you in the long run.

Also, bring lots of baby wipes for the field portion. I don't think it's on the packing list but they are hugely helpful as you'll probably go a few days without a shower and baby wipes are amazing in a pinch like that.

The dates this year are 13 June to 26 July. Here is the link to the BOLC Homepage: http://www.cs.amedd.army.mil/BOLC/ this will have a welcome letter, packing list and so forth.

The best advice past getting in shape is to purchase your boots now asd start wearing them. Nothing worse than breaking in new boots...

I also want to attend BOLC this summer. How do i apply to attend and when should i do so?

Get the tall New Balance boots. They're on the pricey side but you're going to be walking a fair amount. I thought they were way comfortable and I've had minor foot problems most of my life. The other boots that seemed comfortable were the Oakley ones from Standard Issue, which is a discounted Oakley website for military and police officers and such. You will need a military ID to set up an account. Other than that, get ready to hurry up and wait for just about everything you do. Don't worry about the baby wipes. I brought plenty and never used them because I got a shower pretty much every day in the field and I did the 6 week course with tons of people. Contact your recruiter and he or she will make sure you get your uniform at the PX.

I also want to attend BOLC this summer. How do i apply to attend and when should i do so?

You have to apply through the Medical Education website (most call it MODS). Instructions are in Chapter 4 of the Student Policy Handbook also found on the website.

Get the tall New Balance boots. They're on the pricey side but you're going to be walking a fair amount. I thought they were way comfortable and I've had minor foot problems most of my life. The other boots that seemed comfortable were the Oakley ones from Standard Issue, which is a discounted Oakley website for military and police officers and such. You will need a military ID to set up an account. Other than that, get ready to hurry up and wait for just about everything you do. Don't worry about the baby wipes. I brought plenty and never used them because I got a shower pretty much every day in the field and I did the 6 week course with tons of people. Contact your recruiter and he or she will make sure you get your uniform at the PX.

I would also recommend Belleville boots, very good quality and confortable. Ultimately though try on a couple pairs to see what feels best to you.

As far as showers in the field go, we had them for our BOLC but were told we were the last group to have showers due to budget cuts and this was confirmed by the class after us. Best bet is the shower trailers are gone for good now :(.