Questions about CV

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Elysium

Not Really An Old Beaver
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey ya'll
Does anyone have any good advice about writing a CV? How is it different than a resume? Do you put all your important activities on it (even the non academic ones) or just academic?
Is there a website out there?
Just sitting around, fretting.

:rolleyes:

Members don't see this ad.

What's a CV? No se nada hoy

Hi,
I am no expert, but since I work in an academic setting, I had to do my CV as well. I think the key to a CV is that you don't go into as much detail on each of your jobs as you do in a resume(usually a one sentence summary should suffice). Also, I think CVs are meant to highlight your education, research and publications first, and your "non-academic" activties second. I know that most University's career services website have sample CVs online. Hope this helps.

DoctorFoxy: CV means Curriculm Vitae. I guess academics decided a resume wasn't good enough for them or something. :D

Hi, I have both a resume and a CV, and here are the differences in mine.

Resume is ONE-PAGE and includes only the most significant and relevant experiences/background info related to what you're applying for.

CV could be multiple pages and includes basically all the information that you feel is at least moderately significant. In other words, it has all the information on the resume and then more. So, on my CV, I even put down things like where/when I went to high school.