Questions about ECs/work experience for DO schools

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

EdCLS

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I've been lurking on this forum for several months now, and I have some questions regarding ECs. I was initially torn between going MD or DO, and after talking with some of my physician coworkers and researching the profession, I've decided that I would rather become a DO than an MD. I like the DO philosophy better and DOs seem to be more laid back in general. I was hoping to get some input on what I've done thus far in terms of ECs and some advice on what I should do for the next two years before I apply.

Most of my "ECs" come in the form of work experience.

* Three years doing full-time clerical work in an inner-city ED. I have occasionally picked up shifts as a patient care tech.
* I just started a PRN job in the microbiology lab in a large area medical center. I do specimen preparation and some limited waived testing.
* The final year of my bachelor's degree program will be a laboratory internship at a large area medical center.
* I will serve on the ethics committee of the hospital where I work in the ED. The hospital is fairly small, so I wouldn't anticipate too much going on with that, but it should be an interesting experience nonetheless.
* I have several years of volunteer experience serving as a computer consultant for a local parochial high school.

I have no research experience, and I don't expect to have any by the time I graduate.

Will DO schools count my work experience for much or do they prefer that medical contact experiences be on a volunteer basis on one's own time? Is research experience extremely important for getting into DO medical school?

To give you a little more background on myself:

I am a clinical laboratory science major with a cumulative college GPA of ~3.7/4.0. I'm currently at a community college and will transfer to a local university to finish my degree. From my diagnostic scores, I would anticipate an MCAT score in the low thirties.

Anyway, that's pretty much me. I would appreciate any input you guys can offer on my ECs. Are they good? Could they use some work? What would you suggest more of?

Thanks in advance for your advice!

Members don't see this ad.

I think you will do just fine honestly.

I grabbed a seat at PCOM this past cycle with less experience then you.

Unless your grades/mcat are bad, your ECs seem competitive as of right now.

on a sidenote, I never did research in undergrad and I kind of wish that I had. Not to write it down but because I know a few people that did it and they seemed to take alot out of it...

It was an experience I unfortunately decided to pass on... i'll definately find myself some research in grad school though...

after talking with some of my physician coworkers and researching the profession, I've decided that I would rather become a DO than an MD. I like the DO philosophy better and DOs seem to be more laid back in general.

I always chuckle a little at people who talk about the philosophy. In practice I don't think you'll find DO's philosophy any different than MD's...

As for your EC's...

In general, they're great. You have a great little resume for med school. The only thing I might add would be to find a DO in your area (preferably in a specialty you're interested in) and shadow them something like 2-6 hours a week every other week. That way you'll be able to talk in interviews about experience with medicine beyond clerical work or lab tests, and you'll be able to talk about "Why DO" beyond the cliche "holistic philosophy and OMM" answer...I think interviewers when they ask DO are really looking for personal experience with osteopathic medicine...they just want to make sure you've explored it and that you know what you're getting into.

Research experience, while it helps, is not nearly as important for getting into DO school as it is for getting into top 25 MD schools. If you can get it (in anything really, from anthropology to psychology, to biology), great. If not, don't strain yourself with worry. Frankly, your lab experience that you describe above is pretty pseudo-research experience in itself!

Pending a successful MCAT you should have a very competitive application.

Members don't see this ad :)
Thanks for the info. I realize a lot of DOs don't use OMM very much, but it seems like a nice thing to have in one's arsenal.

Thanks again for the advice. I'll work on finding a practice to shadow.

i had been out of school a few years, working in research and then biotech, and every DO school i interviewed at was EXTREMELY interested in my work experience. in particular, they wanted to hear about A) what i had learned in the work force and B) what skills i had gained working that would make me a better physician.

if your stats are competitive, you might want to consider applying to both MD and DO schools. the distinction is blurring...