questions about gpa and OHSU

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ck18

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Does OHSU seem to be forgiving of low cGPA 3.0 sGPA 2.9 undergad if you do well in a medicine based masters gpa 3.8? I am moving to the area for a job and would like to apply but do not want to waste mine or their time. Anyone offer any advice?

Members don't see this ad.

Are you a resident? Because they are heavily skewed to residents, and the only way I could see them be "forgiving" of any GPA is for residents or out of state diversity applicants, or WICHE.

That said, it isn't that expensive to apply and you sound like you have ties to the area making it worth it.

Reactions: 1 user
I will be a resident after 2 years? I am moving from WV to Portland for and UC position as a PA. I may be a diversity candidate as I'm in the LGBT spectrum but I honestly dont know if that counts. I plan on beefing up taking extra courses over year and half during application cycles.

I will be a resident after 2 years? I am moving from WV to Portland for and UC position as a PA. I may be a diversity candidate as I'm in the LGBT spectrum but I honestly dont know if that counts. I plan on beefing up taking extra courses over year and half during application cycles.
If I may ask, why are you interested in becoming a doctor?

Members don't see this ad :)
I have a multitude of reasons. Mostly I want to practice at a higher level. I'm considering more surgical options such as gynecology or MFM if I get lucky and work hard. I also have always wanted to be one since childhood. I worked hard after messing up in undergrad to get to this position I am in. I want to move up in leadership inside of a clinical team and have no desire for a doctorate in PA and frankly, I want to work in a hospital setting again even in an academic setting. I feel a doctorate would provide the opportunity to serve at a higher capacity than I can at this time. Thanks for asking. I have been plotting my best ideas for why for my statement. This kind of helped me think this over some and I appreciate that.

Will you be an Oregon resident by OHSU's standards by the time you apply? That's what I'm getting at. That will help a lot as far as what their GPA averages are for acceptance. Their average for out of state applicants is much higher than for in state, and they take a much higher percent of in state residents.

Do you understand what is meant by residency as far as med school applications go??

Yes I will, I'll be living, working and paying taxes with a permanent residence in Oregon 2 years before.

Reactions: 2 users