Questions about HSPS scholarship

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

GBCrzzyy

The moon is just the back of the sun.
7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Thinking about applying because I'm genuinely interested in a career in the military but I've heard that it can be hard to get residencies in certain fields. Does anyone know if this is true? Any advice or info at all would be great. I've been advised that recruiters are not always the most honest and would rather get more direct information from someone that has the scholarship or experience with it at all. Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

First of all, it's HPSP.
Secondly, go to the military medicine subforum and you will find thousands of posts about this. Use the search function

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Reactions: 1 users
Also be aware that you may not get permission to do a residency. The military does, with some regularity, pull out those with a single PGY-1 only for active duty. You then have 5 years of required service before you can then apply for residency.
The GMO tour requirements have been lowered. It's no longer 5 years. It's only 5 years if you go through Dive or Flight Surgeon training.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Sorry didn't even realize there was a military medicine forum. My bad. Also I definitely knew it was HPSP not HSPS so I have no idea why I typed that. The residency problem is my biggest concern with it.

Sorry didn't even realize there was a military medicine forum. My bad. Also I definitely knew it was HPSP not HSPS so I have no idea why I typed that. The residency problem is my biggest concern with it.
FAP lets you pick a civilian residency. That's why I suggest it!

Check out that forum. It's awesome. People are very friendly.

I'm an ROTC cadet and have been looking into doing HPSP for quite some time, and have correspondingly done a lot of research into the subject. From what I have gathered from asking AMEDD recruiters (and the OIC of a recruiting region), currently almost all PGY-1 pulled into active duty service are in the Navy. Residency slots are competitive just like in the civilian sector, but certain fields are extremely difficult to get into (primarily specialties not in high demand for a demographic majority of young adult males). Keep in mind the service commitment as it can get convoluted when considering various training combinations (i.e. fellowships plus residencies). If you attend medical school on the HPSP scholarship, you will owe 4 years (amount of time attending medical school) or the amount of time spent in residency, whichever is more. You can only pay back your time commitment to the Army after you complete your residency training. Lastly, if you attend the Uniformed Services University of the Health Sciences you will owe 7 years instead of 4 because while attending school you will be earning active duty 2LT pay.