Questions About Interviewing & Related Topics

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
That happened to me--I brought black pants for the dept party and everyone told me to wear jeans. Fortunately, I had a pair with me.

Members don't see this ad.

OK folks, having discussed clothing, footwear, accessories, luggage and posture, etc., its time to get real about hair. Undoubtedly most everyone is going to recommend something along the lines of "clean and neatly combed." Most will perhaps go so far to venture regarding styles that -- "It's a realllllly personal choice, but stay away from outrageous colors and radical styles." Well my situation calls both pieces of advice into question. Anyone care to offer advice regarding/opinions about dreadlocks? :eyebrow:

OK folks, having discussed clothing, footwear, accessories, luggage and posture, etc., its time to get real about hair. Undoubtedly most everyone is going to recommend something along the lines of "clean and neatly combed." Most will perhaps go so far to venture regarding styles that -- "It's a realllllly personal choice, but stay away from outrageous colors and radical styles." Well my situation calls both pieces of advice into question. Anyone care to offer advice regarding/opinions about dreadlocks? :eyebrow:

yes, and what should those of us going bald do?

Members don't see this ad :)

A third year in my program has dreadlocks, too bad he's not on here or he could answer you better. But I would say it's fine. I mean, what's your other option? Shaving your head before interview day? I would just pull it back if at all possible so people can see your face.

p.s. Kudos if this is a joke question.

A third year in my program has dreadlocks, too bad he's not on here or he could answer you better. But I would say it's fine. I mean, what's your other option? Shaving your head before interview day? I would just pull it back if at all possible so people can see your face.

p.s. Kudos if this is a joke question.

I have seen people in the corporate world with dreadlocks and I think it is fine if they are as neat as possible and pulled back. If a program counted that against you, I'm not sure you would want to end up at that program (unless you are okay with cutting your hair). Aren't you in the military, though?

Nope -- not a joke question.

Believe me, I am neck deep in the corporate world, too, and no I wouldn't want to end up at a place that holds something like this against me. I approached the whole application process with the firm resolution to "be myself" and let my freak flag fly regarding some rather outside beliefs. But hair comes and goes (well, for some it goes more than it comes), and I have endured my share of persecution (including assault and battery) due to my looks...

Just a quick question about appropriate interview attire again: is it okay for females to wear a pant suit or is a skirt suit more appropriate?

My undergrad mentor actually advised wearing pants suits over skirt suits.

Can you tie them back into a neat-ish looking ponytail?

Im female and I recently had my hair cut short..like today..
I am worried about how I may be perceived during interview, even though it is far from outlandish and I think I prefer my hair like this.. Its laying down, no color added,actually more professional than my everyday ponytail but I still worry :scared:

If a program rejects you because of your haircut, do you really want to go there anyway?

Members don't see this ad :)
Im female and I recently had my hair cut short..like today..
I am worried about how I may be perceived during interview, even though it is far from outlandish and I think I prefer my hair like this.. Its laying down, no color added,actually more professional than my everyday ponytail but I still worry :scared:

that sounds nice. I wish I could pull off short hair. I've asked hair stylist friends and they always say it wouldn't suit me ;)

I wore a skirt suit because I heard somewhere in my life that they were considered more professional. Also I prefer skirt suits. But I believe it makes absolutely, positively no difference. :)

An aside, I had a really fun time chatting with someone on SDN when we realized we'd had an interview together and I tried to describe myself: "I was the brown-haired girl in the black suit." Oh wait, that was EVERYONE. :laugh:

Yes, I actually already RSVPD to one of the programs so I e-mailed the other school. I'm waiting to hear back from them as I had to leave a voice mail message. Thank you for your help.

then i would just tell the other school that you had another invite and was wondering if they could make accommodations

i was able to get different interview dates when i told my 2nd school

Hi,
I've been offered two interviews and they are on the same day. I'm not complaining but I want to participate in both of them as I like both programs. They are only half an hour away from each other. However, I don't know how to go about asking a program if I can move the date or change the timing of the interview. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

MOD NOTE: I moved your question to this thread because it falls under interview questions, concerns, etc. -t4c

Hi,

I was wondering is it appropriate to write down the answers to your questions during the interview....Or is it more professional to just memorize all your questions and their answers?

Thanks! :D

I know this has come up in other threads before, but figured it wouldn't hurt to ask here as well.....

Earlier this week I received my first invite, and it happens to be at my top choice school. I'm ridiculously ecstatic, of course. My main source of worry right now has to do with accommodations -- being hosted by a graduate student has been offered and though part of me feels like I really should do that, I would really prefer not to. I'm a rather anxious individual and I know, come interview eve, I'm really going to need a quiet space to be alone and get myself as relaxed as possible. I'm worried that if I stay with a grad student, I'll feel like I'm being interviewed and "watched" all night long, which will just add to the nervousness. At the same time, I feel like not staying with a grad student may be shooting myself in the foot in terms of separating myself from the group in a way.

The email from my POI did simply say that being hosted was an option if I was interested in saving money on hotel costs, but that I could let her know if I preferred to make my own accommodations. As in, it seemed like it was more of an option than an expectation I guess.

Am I totally overthinking this? Is it okay to go do your own thing or are you really supposed to stay with a host if it's offered? I honesty think I'm more concerned about this than the interview itself right now!!!!!

Any thoughts and opinions would be much appreciated....

Staying with a student is an excellent opportunity to ask questions about things like quality of life and culture and such, but I don't think anyone's going to shoot you if you don't.

If it's going to stress you out that much, then don't do it. However, I've said it before and I'll say it again: those of us hosting applicants are generally not nitpicking you. We are there to help. We were in your shoes. I wish I had enough time to stare at you all night, but in addition to the fun of interview weekend, I still have work (and facebooking) to do. In fact, I will offer up my laptop if you want to do the same, if that will help you relax. :)

On all of the interviews I went on, the hosts left me plenty of "alone" time to prepare, and they were great with helping by answering questions and generally dispelling any anxiety I had. I felt like I had a buddy who was on "my team" and rooting for me.

I know this has come up in other threads before, but figured it wouldn't hurt to ask here as well.....

Earlier this week I received my first invite, and it happens to be at my top choice school. I'm ridiculously ecstatic, of course. My main source of worry right now has to do with accommodations -- being hosted by a graduate student has been offered and though part of me feels like I really should do that, I would really prefer not to. I'm a rather anxious individual and I know, come interview eve, I'm really going to need a quiet space to be alone and get myself as relaxed as possible. I'm worried that if I stay with a grad student, I'll feel like I'm being interviewed and "watched" all night long, which will just add to the nervousness. At the same time, I feel like not staying with a grad student may be shooting myself in the foot in terms of separating myself from the group in a way.

The email from my POI did simply say that being hosted was an option if I was interested in saving money on hotel costs, but that I could let her know if I preferred to make my own accommodations. As in, it seemed like it was more of an option than an expectation I guess.

Am I totally overthinking this? Is it okay to go do your own thing or are you really supposed to stay with a host if it's offered? I honesty think I'm more concerned about this than the interview itself right now!!!!!

Any thoughts and opinions would be much appreciated....

When I interviewed I chose not to stay with a grad student at a few schools and I don't think it had a negative impact. I didn't feel separated from the group in any way and, like you, I found it much less stressful to have time to myself before the interviews. I also don't think turning down the option to stay with a student affected admissions decisions at all.

I did stay with students at two places though, and it really wasn't that stressful (the students were really helpful and actually helped to ease my mind about the interviews) and, as mentioned above, I was able to really get a good idea of the program, town, and POI. I think you'll be fine just doing what is comfortable for you.

If it's going to stress you out that much, then don't do it. However, I've said it before and I'll say it again: those of us hosting applicants are generally not nitpicking you. We are there to help. We were in your shoes. I wish I had enough time to stare at you all night, but in addition to the fun of interview weekend, I still have work (and facebooking) to do. In fact, I will offer up my laptop if you want to do the same, if that will help you relax. :)

On all of the interviews I went on, the hosts left me plenty of "alone" time to prepare, and they were great with helping by answering questions and generally dispelling any anxiety I had. I felt like I had a buddy who was on "my team" and rooting for me.

I was wondering what would be an appropriate gift for a grad student host? I would hate to go there empty-handed. Does a box of chocolates (or something similar) sound like a good idea? Any advice on that? I would really appreciate it. Thanks!

I was wondering what would be an appropriate gift for a grad student host? I would hate to go there empty-handed. Does a box of chocolates (or something similar) sound like a good idea? Any advice on that? I would really appreciate it. Thanks!

I gave each of my hosts a small box of chocolates last year. I don't know anyone else who did this though. BUT all 3 of my offers came from these schools... :laugh:

More important: thank you notes.

I have an interview in a few weeks that at a program that does not operate on a strict mentorship model so I don't think I'll be interviewing with a particular POI and their lab. I did mention two professors in my SOP of course but I imagine I'll be interviewing with several faculty to figure out how much I fit with the program etc... that being said, will I need to be prepared to speak in depth/ask informed questions about each of these professors' research? Any advice on how to prepare for this? I hope my question makes sense. Thanks in advance!

I gave each of my hosts a small box of chocolates last year. I don't know anyone else who did this though. BUT all 3 of my offers came from these schools... :laugh:

More important: thank you notes.

My one acceptance came from a school that I sent no 'thank you' notes/emails, gave no gifts, and said frak 'em all. Everywhere else I played nice waitlisted me. :laugh:

I received a box of tea and some candy things regional to the applicant's location last year. I almost chunked them as I had no use for them. I think the roommate finally ate the candy, and the tea's still sitting in the cupboard. It may be the thought that counts, but honestly some things are a waste of money.

I got an interview invite a couple of days ago, and I want to make plane reservations soon but I was waiting around for the grad secretary to email me back with "more details." I do know the basic agenda (interview+dinner/afterparty) but since I'm staying with a grad student for a night, I'm wondering if I should wait until the school emails me back with specifics. The interview is next weekend - should I wait or just go and buy my ticket?

I have an interview in a few weeks that at a program that does not operate on a strict mentorship model so I don't think I'll be interviewing with a particular POI and their lab. I did mention two professors in my SOP of course but I imagine I'll be interviewing with several faculty to figure out how much I fit with the program etc... that being said, will I need to be prepared to speak in depth/ask informed questions about each of these professors' research? Any advice on how to prepare for this? I hope my question makes sense. Thanks in advance!

I have this same issue, my problem is that there are about 30 faculty members so it will be impossible to know everyone's area of expertise. I'm prepping more on my own research and experiences, my research interests (including a possible area of study), the program itself, and the research of the 2-3 profs I want to work with (although there's no guarantee I will even be interviewed by them). Any other advice would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

My program doesn't have a strict mentorship model either, but I still ended up discussing research with people I wanted to work with. It was more about my research than my POI's, though.

If I get rejected to all my PhD programs, and attend a masters program next semester, who will I get my letters of rec. from when I reapply to PhD programs?...

Do the letters usually come only from professors in the masters program?

Would it be alright to ask a professor I did research with as an undergraduate to write me a letter? (or would that be looked upon as weird, since I would already be in a masters program?)

If I get rejected to all my PhD programs, and attend a masters program next semester, who will I get my letters of rec. from when I reapply to PhD programs?...

Do the letters usually come only from professors in the masters program?

Would it be alright to ask a professor I did research with as an undergraduate to write me a letter? (or would that be looked upon as weird, since I would already be in a masters program?)

I think it would be perfectly fine to use an LOR from an undergrad professor, especially if you have/had a long academic relationship with them. If you get any clinical experience during your program you should use an internship supervisor, I know doctoral programs really like LORs from them.

Last edited:
I used both undergrad and grad professors for my LORs

One of my schools is on the interview invite list and the invite was a mass email, so I'm assuming that because I haven't heard anything I will not be invited. I am planning to call the school tomorrow though and check my status. I contacted my POI last summer and we exchanged quite a few emails about his research and I even talked to one of his grad students. My current advisor used to be on the faculty at the school and still has a good relationship with my POI. I thought an interview invite was very likely, although I obviously knew none of these things guaranteed an invite.

Anyway, I was wondering what everyone thinks as far as asking my POI for feedback as to why I was not interviewed. Is it kosher to send an email now (after I check with the admissions office to make sure I'm not invited) or should I wait until officially being rejected?

1. Wait until you are officially rejected.

2. Make sure you are asking for the right reasons (you want to improve your chances of getting in next time around, etc.) It is putting your POI in an awkward position to explain why you didn't get in when your POI probably had less to do with it than overall funding.

I thought an interview invite was very likely, although I obviously knew none of these things guaranteed an invite.

I know you acknowledged this but just in general, I've found it's really hard to predict one's chances of getting an invite. My first (and so far only) formal rejection came from a school where I thought I had a pretty good chance of getting an invite. Conversely, some of schools where I have received interview invites so far have been schools I considered to be super unlikely places for me to get interview invites. You never know.

And I agree, wait until you are formally rejected to ask why.

Does anyone else have an interview which involves official "social time" off campus with the entire department and one-on-one lunch with their POI? It seems that this is the format at one of my top choice schools. There will only be a few other applicants there. I'm pretty excited that I was invited and that I will have so much time to talk with people but I'm scared about having to be "on" for so long, especially in semi-casual settings. Any advice?

As my interview approaches I was hoping that I could gain some insight on how to handle interviews with your NON-POI's.

What sorts of questions should you ask being that your research interests don't match.

I've heard that taking notes during the interview is no recommended. Thoughts?

Has anyone put together a group of general questions to ask Non-POI's during interviews.

Thanks for all your advice and suggestions. Good luck to those who received invites.

For one, you definitely want to take an interest in their work (even if you could really care less). I'd at least brief myself with the basic research interests of other POIs at the school, but sometimes that isn't possible. If you have no idea, just ask them to tell you about their research. Everyone likes to feel important!

I think this is also an acceptable time to ask any questions that you may have about the program in general (ex.: clinical training, supervision, class structure, student collaboration, etc.). You may not end up having time to ask your main POI about these topics.

Also - remember, it is OK to ask different people the same questions! You may get different answers, and they are not likely to all compare notes later about duplicate questions by interviewees.

For one, you definitely want to take an interest in their work (even if you could really care less). I'd at least brief myself with the basic research interests of other POIs at the school, but sometimes that isn't possible. If you have no idea, just ask them to tell you about their research. Everyone likes to feel important!

I think this is also an acceptable time to ask any questions that you may have about the program in general (ex.: clinical training, supervision, class structure, student collaboration, etc.). You may not end up having time to ask your main POI about these topics.

Also - remember, it is OK to ask different people the same questions! You may get different answers, and they are not likely to all compare notes later about duplicate questions by interviewees.

+1. I also found I got a lot out of asking the grad students who weren't in my POI's lab about the nature of their clinical training and general concerns about the program's vibe, the city, and what a typical day was like for them (both weekday and weekend.)

And I repeated many of my questions between interviewers, because I genuinely wanted several opinions on my key concerns. I got the impression from the program that this was totally acceptable, even welcome.

Regarding notetaking - Eep, I hope it doesn't come off poorly. I've never gone into a one-on-one interview (job, undergrad, grad, etc.) without some way to take notes. I think if you keep your notes brief and they don't force you to take extended pauses, you're fine. Since you may end up with 4-5 back-to-back sessions (with minimal downtime between them), I'd consider mid-interview notetaking mandatory if you want to retain all the important details.

Good luck on your interview!

When an interviewer asks you to describe a research project you've done, what would you think is an appropriate length and level of detail for the response? Better to give an in-depth explanation right off, or start with a brief explanation and then let the interviewer ask more questions?

I've got a couple questions about interviewing specific to PsyD programs. Much of what I have read about on here is to prepare by firmly understanding both my research and my POIs research. However, PsyD programs do not focus on research and do not typically even have a POI. (Note: I did list one or two professors names in each personal statement, but very loosely.) How do I prepare for PsyD interviews? Obviously, there will be some research involved so I will still be familiar with it, but it will not be my focal point. Also, is it appropriate to contact the people I listed in my personal statement via email to request a copy of their CV if it is not posted on their website?

Thanks in advance!

Hi,

So, I saw an email list of all the interviewees at a program (list was not BCC'ed and a couple had email addresses from high prestige schools (Ivies, MIT, etc). I attend a third tier state flagship and wonder how that will look against these high-prestige applicants. My app itself is fairly strong, I think (publications, etc), but I can't help but feel that an very high prestige pedigree may scream "admit me" in a way my pedigree does not.

Hi,

So, I saw an email list of all the interviewees at a program (list was not BCC'ed and a couple had email addresses from high prestige schools (Ivies, MIT, etc). I attend a third tier state flagship and wonder how that will look against these high-prestige applicants. My app itself is fairly strong, I think (publications, etc), but I can't help but feel that an very high prestige pedigree may scream "admit me" in a way my pedigree does not.

I've read many of your posts. You application sounds very strong to me.
Keep in mind that schools ideally want to admit a diverse group of students. That diversity is not just racial/ethnic. They look at gender, geography, educational background, disabilties, etc. . . . . It is really easy to become discouraged solely by looking at someone's academic background. I won't name any names, but there are a number of prominent individuals in this country with ivy league educations that I do not find to be all that intelligent.

They are going to look at your total package, not just where you received your degree. (Of course, if the faculty also received their degrees from the same ivy league university, then they may favor those individuals.)

Hi,

Wait -- did you post this before or after shattering the record for number of interview invitations received? ;)

FWIW, I went to a couple of "top tier" schools and have had nowhere near the success you've had this application season. You are undeniably rocking, a force of nature, you control your own destiny in a way few here could only dream of.... And you're human. From what I've gathered (on this site alone), everyone enters interview weekend on a much more even playing field, no?

Wait -- did you post this before or after shattering the record for number of interview invitations received? ;)

FWIW, I went to a couple of "top tier" schools and have had nowhere near the success you've had this application season. You are undeniably rocking, a force of nature, you control your own destiny in a way few here could only dream of.... And you're human. From what I've gathered (on this site alone), everyone enters interview weekend on a much more even playing field, no?

I know what people have said, but I really do believe that faculty go into the interviews with a few front runners in mind. That doesn't mean that their minds are set. They can be changed. . . . But, I am really not worried about you futureapppsy2. I think you can hold your own.

It's not always an even playing field at the interview. Sometimes applicants have already been ranked on a list. If those who were ranked higher perform well at the interview, they are the ones who will get in rather than people who were ranked lower and also did well at the interview.

just wanted to bump this up.. any people with experience with psyd interviews? what's the format tend to be? what are the areas of focus of the interview itself? i'm assuming clinical experience.. is there anything else one should be prepared for prior to entering a psyd interview?

I've got a couple questions about interviewing specific to PsyD programs. Much of what I have read about on here is to prepare by firmly understanding both my research and my POIs research. However, PsyD programs do not focus on research and do not typically even have a POI. (Note: I did list one or two professors names in each personal statement, but very loosely.) How do I prepare for PsyD interviews? Obviously, there will be some research involved so I will still be familiar with it, but it will not be my focal point. Also, is it appropriate to contact the people I listed in my personal statement via email to request a copy of their CV if it is not posted on their website?

Thanks in advance!

kinda worried that i'm going to look really weird when i interview because i'm vegan. gonna have to stock up on granola bars in my purse or something so i don't starve the whole weekend ahaha.

as for a gift i was thinking of baking for my hosts. i'm a really good at cooking vegan food and it's always surprisingly good to people who have never tried it. dunno if this is a dumb idea or not.