Questions About Interviewing & Related Topics

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
just wanted to bump this up.. any people with experience with psyd interviews? what's the format tend to be? what are the areas of focus of the interview itself? i'm assuming clinical experience.. is there anything else one should be prepared for prior to entering a psyd interview?

Having had experience last year interviewing for PsyDs and once again going through it I feel a bit more prepared. First almost everyone who you will be interviewing with will have Clinical Experience. Secondly because this fact is mentioned in your resume and hopefully your personal statement they won't focus on it as much as you might expect. I had questions last year dealing with what I wanted to do with my doctoral project/dissertation research wise. Additionally I was asked questions about theoretical orientation and how I decompress as well as about my support system. There were also questions about hobbies, books that I have read recently and of course the compulsory why this program, what do you bring to the program, and what are strengths and weaknesses that you have.

Members don't see this ad.

I'm wondering if anyone can answer this question:

Last Friday, I got an invite (email) to interview at Argosy U (DC Campus) and they gave me two options: 1) the following Monday or 2) Feb. 8 (two weeks later. I took the latter because I need more time to prepare than one weekend and I had a conflict anyway.

So, my question is: what do I make of a program that offers me an interview the following business day? Is this an indicator of their lack of organization? A harbinger of things to come? It's not my first choice and I'll admit I may be partly biased because I've heard that the admin at this school isn't well organized and not terribly supportive of its students. (The person I spoke to had gotten her MS there and said you basically have to be your own advocate.)

It just doesn't strike me as all that professional of them, but they did give me two options, so maybe I'm reading too much into it. It's my "safety" school so I'm not worried about whether I'm on the top of their list.... just trying to get a sense of whether this means anything about the quality of the school.

Thanks,
purpleb

hehe. i havent thought about that! but i guess ill worry about that if i get invited to an all day interview.. so far, my only interview is by appt only.

dont worry about seeming weird. i always use it as an opportunity to inform people of why i am vegan!

kinda worried that i'm going to look really weird when i interview because i'm vegan. gonna have to stock up on granola bars in my purse or something so i don't starve the whole weekend ahaha.

as for a gift i was thinking of baking for my hosts. i'm a really good at cooking vegan food and it's always surprisingly good to people who have never tried it. dunno if this is a dumb idea or not.

Members don't see this ad :)
thanks that is very helpful! btw i HATE the strengths/weaknesses question. i need to really think of some creative original answers before my interview.. hehe

Having had experience last year interviewing for PsyDs and once again going through it I feel a bit more prepared. First almost everyone who you will be interviewing with will have Clinical Experience. Secondly because this fact is mentioned in your resume and hopefully your personal statement they won't focus on it as much as you might expect. I had questions last year dealing with what I wanted to do with my doctoral project/dissertation research wise. Additionally I was asked questions about theoretical orientation and how I decompress as well as about my support system. There were also questions about hobbies, books that I have read recently and of course the compulsory why this program, what do you bring to the program, and what are strengths and weaknesses that you have.

kinda worried that i'm going to look really weird when i interview because i'm vegan. gonna have to stock up on granola bars in my purse or something so i don't starve the whole weekend ahaha.

as for a gift i was thinking of baking for my hosts. i'm a really good at cooking vegan food and it's always surprisingly good to people who have never tried it. dunno if this is a dumb idea or not.

I was thinking the same thing because I'm a vegetarian. One of my schools actually asked me if I had any dietary restrictions, so that was cool. Another school did not, though, and the graduate student "party" is a BBQ... I hope they have veggie burgers, or else I might have to steal your idea of throwing granola bars in my bag :)

in my experience, we have a high percentage of vegetarians and vegans in our field and i don't think it's something we (as hosting graduate students) will easily overlook. :)

really? that makes me happy :)
in my experience, we have a high percentage of vegetarians and vegans in our field and i don't think it's something we (as hosting graduate students) will easily overlook. :)

Almost everyone in my cohort is either vegetarian or vegan.

It's not always an even playing field at the interview. Sometimes applicants have already been ranked on a list. If those who were ranked higher perform well at the interview, they are the ones who will get in rather than people who were ranked lower and also did well at the interview.

Psychgirl77, how do you get this type of information? Did a POI tell you this?

That's the way it happens at my school, so I'm guessing it may be the same at others.

ladies- dilemma. so i got an outfit at express today for my actual interview (typical black editor pants, button up top) but for life of me couldnt figure out what to wear the night before the interview. for my interviews it looks like i'll fly in during the afternoon, then go to a dinner get together with the grad students. i'm thinking jeans is a no, but i don't want to look super stiff either.

what have you been wearing/plan to wear? :)

ladies- dilemma. so i got an outfit at express today for my actual interview (typical black editor pants, button up top) but for life of me couldnt figure out what to wear the night before the interview. for my interviews it looks like i'll fly in during the afternoon, then go to a dinner get together with the grad students. i'm thinking jeans is a no, but i don't want to look super stiff either.

Jeans are fine.

I have the EXACT same situation coming up later this week and have been stressing about what to wear at the grad student dinner (don't want to be too casual, but don't want be overdressed either). Finally I just decided that I will bring some nice-ish (but not too fancy) pants for the grad student dinner but also pack a pair of jeans just in case. I think I'll be able to get the vibe of the school and the students once I get there, and will be able to figure out which is more appropriate.

Members don't see this ad :)
Can anyone tell me how appropriate it is to email your POI after the interview to thank them for their time and the opportunity to meet with them?

I was planning on sending a thank you this evening, but then I thought I would check just in case.

Thanks!

ooh, and to add.. if you end up interviewing with more than one professor, is it best to send multiple thank you cards, or just one? i'm thinking about psyd programs, where there isnt a POI. if just one thank you card is enough, to whom do you send it?

Can anyone tell me how appropriate it is to email your POI after the interview to thank them for their time and the opportunity to meet with them?

I was planning on sending a thank you this evening, but then I thought I would check just in case.

Thanks!

THANK YOUS. NOW. TO EVERYONE YOU MET WITH.

Never, ever, ever underestimate the power of a thank you note. I've heard of people not getting jobs due to not writing thank you notes. Not sure if it happens in grad school admissions but please don't be the one to find out :)

I have the EXACT same situation coming up later this week and have been stressing about what to wear at the grad student dinner (don't want to be too casual, but don't want be overdressed either). Finally I just decided that I will bring some nice-ish (but not too fancy) pants for the grad student dinner but also pack a pair of jeans just in case. I think I'll be able to get the vibe of the school and the students once I get there, and will be able to figure out which is more appropriate.

i didn't wear jeans to anything with graduate students last year. but i am wearing jeans to the events we are hosting for our applicants this weekend. and i won't judge any applicants by their clothing choices, i promise (i mean, unless they look absolutely ridiculous. as in, i thought that wearing my pajamas out to dinner would be fun level of ridiculous).

+1 on the thank you notes. NOT because saying thanks to your host or faculty members will help get you into graduate school - it won't. because it's polite!

I found these questions from another thread (hermionephd), very helpful.

hermionephd

I would really like to see people post potential interview questions here, as well as questions that are a good idea for us to ask on the interview. I actually lost my copy of APA's Getting In, which was an excellent resource for potential questions.

I found these questions in a document on Tulane's website (copied word for word from psych.tulane.edu/news/documents/INTERVIEWQUESTIONS.doc):

Personal/Professional
1. Tell me about yourself.
2. How did you become interested in psychology? How did you become interested in (specific interest area)?
3. What would you be doing if you were not in psychology?
4. What are your personal strengths and weaknesses? What have you done to deal with your shortcomings?
5. What are your goals after graduate school? In 5 years? 10 years?
6. What do you have to contribute to us?
7. Why should we accept you over other equally qualified candidates?
8. What do you do in your spare time? To relax?
9. Tell me about your interest in this area (geography)?
10. Why did you choose this career path?

Research
1. What are your research interests? How did you get interested in this topic?
2. Did you do an undergraduate honors thesis? Tell me about it.
3. What is the clinical relevance of your research?

Assessment
1. Tell me about an assessment instrument with which you feel competent.
2. Opinion of projective testing (e.g., Rorschach)
3. Opinion of objective testing (e.g., MMPI-2)
4. What further assessment training or experiences do you want/need?

Therapy
1. What do you think would be your greatest strength as a therapist?
2. What about clinical work do you enjoy most/least?
3. What is your theoretical orientation? What do you think of _____ approach?
4. What are the challenges you expect to face as a therapist?
5. What is your experience with individual/couples/family/group/inpatient/etc. treatment?
6. What are your clinical interest areas?

Diversity
1. With what multicultural or diverse populations have you worked?
2. What are your strengths and weaknesses in working with minorities?
3. What variables/issues are of concern to you in working with specific populations?
4. What reading/didactic experiences influence the way you think about diverse populations?

Recruiting/ Interest & Fit
1. Why are you interested in our program? Why are you applying to this particular program?
2. How do you see our program fitting with your career goals?
3. Why do you think you are a "fit" for our program?
4. Which of your interest areas are (not) addressed by our program?
5. With which faculty member would you most like to work?
6. What are the advantages to you of this program?
7. What worries you about coming to this program?
8. What might you not get at this program that you want?
9. What are your feelings about coming to this state?
10. What do you think of the program now that you've heard more about it?

Other
1. What else would you like me to know about you that isn't apparent from your CV?
2. What is the #1 question you would like me to ask you?

Last edited:
+1 This doesn't surprise me at all.

Mind body connection! :laugh:

yeah, i guess so! not to mention that psychologists usually are very ethical, humane, and conscientious people. ;)

Since I know you all are DYING to know ;)
I wore the boots and they were fabulous!

Would you all recommend having prepackaged word for word responses ready for the typical interview questions? Or is it better to have a general outline and be more spontaneous and fluid at the interview?

Would you all recommend having prepackaged word for word responses ready for the typical interview questions? Or is it better to have a general outline and be more spontaneous and fluid at the interview?

I definitely vote for the later. Sounding too rehearsed and canned is not a good thing. And you will likely do better when/ if they ask unexpected questions.

I definitely vote for the later. Sounding too rehearsed and canned is not a good thing. And you will likely do better when/ if they ask unexpected questions.

Agreed. I was once told that I was offered a job over another candidate because my answers were not the typical pat answers given by my competitor. . . . An outline is a great way to go. Know your talking points, but don't have everything memorized.

Last edited:
If you do more of an outline, don't you think you're more likely to forget something you really want to say?

If you do more of an outline, don't you think you're more likely to forget something you really want to say?

i really think that more than anything a sense of genuineness goes a LONG way. if it sounds like you are reciting something you've practiced, it could seem rehearsed and insincere. just review your main points in the areas you think you'll be questioned about, and go in there and be yourself. ;)

Being genuine is key. Memorizing everything you want to say will often make you sound robotic and insincere.

You just want to remember main points that you want to make during the interview. . . . I think it is far more likely that you will forget some of the "speech" that you memorized, which may fluster you, and you end up lost during your interview.

Besides, what if they don't ask the questions that you have anticipated? Your memorization with be for nothing. If you just remember bullet points that you want to highlight, you will have a greater chance of being able to answer a variety of questions with them.

Note: You know yourself. There are always exceptions to interviewing. You may be an exception. You might be one of the few who can memorize and sound absolutely natural. If that is your comfort zone, great, do it that way.

I wasn't sure which thread to post this in. I had a phone interview yesterday with a POI, I just received an email from her saying she enjoyed speaking to me about their program and research and she want to talk to me again tomorrow. I agreed about a time, but I am not sure what to expect. She told me yesterday they'd let me know if they will have on campus visits before or after decisions were made, but I could've gotten that info over an email, right?

I am not sure how to prepare for this phone call:scared:.. any advice or tips?

So, is the consensus that if you send thank you emails after an interview you do not need to/ should not send a thank you card?

I am a big proponent of thank you cards (this particular time there were reasons for me emailing instead) but I don't want to be a nuisance since I got very positive replies to my emails.

So, is the consensus that if you send thank you emails after an interview you do not need to/ should not send a thank you card?

I am a big proponent of thank you cards (this particular time there were reasons for me emailing instead) but I don't want to be a nuisance since I got very positive replies to my emails.

I, too, prefer to send cards via the mail, but I think sending both an email thank you and a card would be overkill.

please please help me!

okay so - i got offered to interview at the psyd program where i am currently finishing my masters. woohoo!! i reallllyyy wanna go there.

so they have an "interview day" but as part of their process, they want me to rank the top 3 professors i want to interview with. who do i select??

my number 1 is the prof whose interests are closely aligned with mine. but just in case i do not get that prof- what should my strategy for selecting the other 2 be? my other "poi" is not on the list...

should i select professors who i've already taken courses with? professors who ive never met... ahhh what do you think??

i really think that more than anything a sense of genuineness goes a LONG way. if it sounds like you are reciting something you've practiced, it could seem rehearsed and insincere. just review your main points in the areas you think you'll be questioned about, and go in there and be yourself. ;)

I look at the lists of questions as a way to have time to have thought about each one beforehand when I won't be flustered... I wouldn't memorize the answers, but if you've thought each of them through, the general idea you came up with should be there if you're asked... and as has been mentioned, you'll do better with unexpected tangential answers.

has anyone here been on both phd and psyd interviews, and is interested in explaining some of their similarities and differences? so far i have only been on phd interviews, and I have a psyd interview coming up, so i am a little nervous because I don't know what to expect! if anyone has also been on a school-clinical child psychology psyd interview, and has any tips about that, that would be really helpful as well!

Hello guys,
You have been so helpful before so I am going to turn to you again :)
So I have an interview in less than two weeks at my top choice. My POI has a lot of articles in press right now, and I was wondering if it's ok to write to him a nice email to ask for copies. I am really interested in the work my POI is doing, and I would really like to learn more about what the lab is currently involved in. Is this a bit late? Could it be interpreted as 'nagging' and being generally annoying? I just want to go there and talk about current topics of interest, not old ones.. Let me know what you think / or whether you've done this before. Thanks!

I have an upcoming interview (clinical PhD) where I'm scheduled to interview with 3 graduate students in addition to my interview with the POI.

I feel pretty prepared to interview with faculty, but what should I expect from grad student interviews? I'm excited to learn about what research they're involved in and their experiences thus far in the program, but should I expect to be grilled on my experience, expectations for training, etc? Or does it tend to be more informal? The impression I get is that they're scouting to see if they can stand working with you, but perhaps it is more structured than that?

Thanks in advance for your input!

I have an upcoming interview (clinical PhD) where I'm scheduled to interview with 3 graduate students in addition to my interview with the POI.

I feel pretty prepared to interview with faculty, but what should I expect from grad student interviews? I'm excited to learn about what research they're involved in and their experiences thus far in the program, but should I expect to be grilled on my experience, expectations for training, etc? Or does it tend to be more informal? The impression I get is that they're scouting to see if they can stand working with you, but perhaps it is more structured than that?

They did this at one of the interviews I've been to so far. I didn't find the grad student parts of the interview *as* intimidating, but they also had specific things that they were asking - lots of "why this program" and "how do you see yourself fitting in" kinds of questions...

Do you send electronic thank you letters via email or letters via snail mail? Originally, I was thinking snail mail as this seems more formal.

I ask because I had an interview Friday 2/5 in the South and an interview Monday 2/8 in the Midwest. Unfortunately, there was huge Midatlantic blizzard and I was stranded over the weekend at a snowed in layover airport. I fortunately made it to my 2/8 interview at the 11th hour. Then I was stranded again from 2/8 - 2/9 in another layover airport (FYI sleeping on a bench in the airport is not fun).

Needless to say I have not been able to send Thank You letters to professors from the Southern university that I met with on 2/5. At this point, do I send formal Thank You letters via snail mail that will possibly arrive a week after the interview or do I quickly send out emails that note my travel troubles?

I would send emails - decisions are often made quickly.
Do you send electronic thank you letters via email or letters via snail mail? Originally, I was thinking snail mail as this seems more formal.

I ask because I had an interview Friday 2/5 in the South and an interview Monday 2/8 in the Midwest. Unfortunately, there was huge Midatlantic blizzard and I was stranded over the weekend at a snowed in layover airport. I fortunately made it to my 2/8 interview at the 11th hour. Then I was stranded again from 2/8 - 2/9 in another layover airport (FYI sleeping on a bench in the airport is not fun).

Needless to say I have not been able to send Thank You letters to professors from the Southern university that I met with on 2/5. At this point, do I send formal Thank You letters via snail mail that will possibly arrive a week after the interview or do I quickly send out emails that note my travel troubles?

I would send emails - decisions are often made quickly.

Agreed. Truly, today people are sending thank you notes either via email or snail mail, and both are equally acceptable.

Decisions can be made quickly. Send the email.

I have heard a lot of people on this site talking about how a thank you won't get you admitted into a program. Well, maybe not. But, I do know of people who were offered jobs over equally qualified candidates because they sent thank yous, and the other candidates did not.

How do schools assign applicants to POIs if you had to list a couple of people on the application? I'm in the process of interviewing at a school (via phone), and no one has made it explicitly clear which of my interviewers are potential mentors. To make it even more complicated, although I listed two POIs on my application, a third contacted me and asked if I would be interested in interviewing with her since she is taking a student this year.

I had one phone interview with one of the people I had originally listed, but it was never really clear during the interview if it was just a general interview or an interview to be this person's student. I know I should have just asked, but now that I didn't what's the best way of getting this information? I could ask her in my thank you email, but that seems a little awkward. I could also follow up with the grad coordinator who is scheduling the interviews. Advice?

I have been accepted to a school :)biglove:) and they are holding a campus visit for the accepted applicants to meet the faculty and grad students of the department. We did not have an oncampus interview, interviews were held on the phone. I am unable to make the official on campus meet and greet but my POI and I have arranged another weekend where I will come down and will meet as many of the students and faculty as I can. I am wondering what my attire should be.

Should I go all out in my business professional suit or since it is informal meet and greet I should just do business casual (dress pants, button up/sweater,etc)?

One of my programs did this--two pairs of grad student interviewers plus three faculty interviews. Some questions about "why this program?", "where do you see yourself after graduating from our program?", etc. A lot of answering my questions as well, and one spent like 5 minutes on how excellent my SOP was and how it answered any questions he would have wanted to ask (which was really nice) :D.

I have been accepted to a school :)biglove:) and they are holding a campus visit for the accepted applicants to meet the faculty and grad students of the department. We did not have an oncampus interview, interviews were held on the phone. I am unable to make the official on campus meet and greet but my POI and I have arranged another weekend where I will come down and will meet as many of the students and faculty as I can. I am wondering what my attire should be.

Should I go all out in my business professional suit or since it is informal meet and greet I should just do business casual (dress pants, button up/sweater,etc)?

Congratulations! That is wonderful news. Personally, I would go business casual.

I vote business casual. Congrats!

Agreed. Truly, today people are sending thank you notes either via email or snail mail, and both are equally acceptable.

Decisions can be made quickly. Send the email.

I have heard a lot of people on this site talking about how a thank you won't get you admitted into a program. Well, maybe not. But, I do know of people who were offered jobs over equally qualified candidates because they sent thank yous, and the other candidates did not.

I'm someone who said a thank you note won't get you in (which they won't). But you are correct, in some places, a lack of thank you note might keep you out. That being said, if an admissions committee meets less than a week after interviews, I think most reasonable people would know that perhaps a mailed note would have not yet made it to their mailbox. Particularly in universities like my own, where if you send mail to campus it might take 2-3 days longer to make it to a person's mail box than traditional mail would take to get to a person's house.

Do most people bring a folder with copies of their CV and questions to ask to the interviews?