Questions about Interviews

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Anon15

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Two Questions:

1) I can't speak to grad school interviews, but I certainly can speak to professional interviews. I have interviewed 50+ candidates for RA positions within the last three years. There have been many folks who look great on paper (i.e. good undergrad school, GPA, and undergrad research experience) but in person many have been fallen somewhat short. For an example, not being able to clearly express their research interests, not appearing confident, or lacking basic social skills.

My question is this...can the interviews "make or break you?" For example, would an individual with less academic prestige but a more desirable "personality" be a more desirable candidate assuming that both individuals make it to the interview round?

2) Is it frowned upon not to stay with a grad student if traveling far from home? I know its advantage and disadvantages, but does it matter?

Members don't see this ad.

Two Questions:

1) I can't speak to grad school interviews, but I certainly can speak to professional interviews. I have interviewed 50+ candidates for RA positions within the last three years. There have been many folks who look great on paper (i.e. good undergrad school, GPA, and undergrad research experience) but in person many have been fallen somewhat short. For an example, not being able to clearly express their research interests, not appearing confident, or lacking basic social skills.

My question is this...can the interviews “make or break you?" For example, would an individual with less academic prestige but a more desirable "personality" be a more desirable candidate assuming that both individuals make it to the interview round?

2) Is it frowned upon not to stay with a grad student if traveling far from home? I know its advantage and disadvantages, but does it matter?

Answer to question 1; unequivocally yes. At this stage their decision will depend heavily on the interview.

Answer to question 2: it is irrelevant.

1) can the interviews “make or break you?" For example, would an individual with less academic prestige but a more desirable "personality" be a more desirable candidate assuming that both individuals make it to the interview round?

Absolutely. However, in my experience (at a clinical Ph.D. program), all those who have been invited to interview round have impressive credentials. Even an Ivy League degree can't make up for poor social skills or a poor match.

In my experience, it doesn't matter.

Members don't see this ad :)
Good to know, thanks!

Just how defined should our research interests be at this point (applying for fall 2007)? If I said I'm interested in studying the cognitive consequences of neurodegenerative disease, would that suffice at this level? Should I be more specific and say I'm interested in cortical atrophy in alzheimer's disease and executive funtioning.