Questions about Letter of Recommendation?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

booboo

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I obtained my B.S degree in 2007 and I asked my professors in 2007 to write a letter a recommendation and send it to Interfolio. My question is do most DO schools accept "letter of recommendation" from Interfolio for secondaries.

Also, do I have to ask my professors to write a new letter of recommendation because the one they wrote is dated 2007 but it's still in the system at Interfolio. I am applying this year.

thanks

Members don't see this ad.

I believe many schools accept interfolio, but be sure to check with each school to which you're applying. Also, the date of your letters shouldn't matter.

All the schools I applied to accepted interfolio, I'm not sure about the dates though

Members don't see this ad :)
From what I remember my pre med advisor saying, dates don't matter. She always recommended if we had a teacher that we really liked we should ask for a LOR right away so we'd be fresh in their minds, whether it's freshman year or senior year. So how old the letter is shouldn't matter.

i got into a discussion about LORs from docs that you have shadowed

Those letters are the least useful/impressive to adcoms. I've never heard even one say that he was impressed with a letter from someone who was shadowed.

i fail to see how this can be true..... if you've had a meaningful experience, and the doc actually knows you and you've made a connection..and he/she agrees to write a letter..whats the problem?

what is everyones opinion on this? i call bologna.

MSUCOM does not.

i got into a discussion about LORs from docs that you have shadowed

i fail to see how this can be true..... if you've had a meaningful experience, and the doc actually knows you and you've made a connection..and he/she agrees to write a letter..whats the problem?

what is everyones opinion on this? i call bologna.

The person you're quoting there is LizzyM who is an admissions committee person at a medical school. I'd take her word for it. She's always right on these things.

That's not to say that shadowing doesn't matter. I think she just meant that an LOR from a physician you shadowed won't get you in. It'll just be icing on the cake if they like you anyway. The reason for that, in my opinion, is because they know most pre-meds only spend one day with a physician. Maybe two. That's not enough time for the physician to know your work ethic, your personality, or anything remotely genuine about you, even though in the letter, they'll claim they do. Also, many pre-meds shadow a family friend who's a physician or even a relative. One guy I know shadowed his mother (who had a different last name) and she wrote him the LOR. This is probably why adcoms don't think physician shadowing letters are gold.

That said, if you're applying DO, you need one for most schools.

MSUCOM does not.

They don't accept Interfolio? What am I supposed to do if I have letters a year or two old that are sitting at Interfolio ready to be sent? Am I supposed to contact my Bio I prof from summer of 2006 and get her to write another one?

won't interfolio send them via snail mail for a small fee?

Oh, is that what the poster meant? I thought he meant that MSUCOM doesn't accept any letters that were sent to Interfolio.

The person you're quoting there is LizzyM who is an admissions committee person at a medical school. I'd take her word for it. She's always right on these things.

That's not to say that shadowing doesn't matter. I think she just meant that an LOR from a physician you shadowed won't get you in. It'll just be icing on the cake if they like you anyway. The reason for that, in my opinion, is because they know most pre-meds only spend one day with a physician. Maybe two. That's not enough time for the physician to know your work ethic, your personality, or anything remotely genuine about you, even though in the letter, they'll claim they do. Also, many pre-meds shadow a family friend who's a physician or even a relative. One guy I know shadowed his mother (who had a different last name) and she wrote him the LOR. This is probably why adcoms don't think physician shadowing letters are gold.

That said, if you're applying DO, you need one for most schools.

interesting. i think my situation is a little different than the ones you described...i just hope that my letter doesnt get clumped into the "one day of shadowing" pil. i hope its obvious that the experiences described could not have have happened over a 1-2 day span. both of my doctor letters come from physicians I have shadowed for extended periods of time. i spent an entire summer with the orthopod and had a very meaningful experience. the other was a family practice doc i shadowed specifically to get exposure to OMM. i was actually quite impressed with the letters, and so were others. so, well see how it works. i dont see how they could do anything but work in my favor, especially for the DO schools.

interesting. i think my situation is a little different than the ones you described...i just hope that my letter doesnt get clumped into the "one day of shadowing" pil. i hope its obvious that the experiences described could not have have happened over a 1-2 day span. both of my doctor letters come from physicians I have shadowed for extended periods of time. i spent an entire summer with the orthopod and had a very meaningful experience. the other was a family practice doc i shadowed specifically to get exposure to OMM. i was actually quite impressed with the letters, and so were others. so, well see how it works. i dont see how they could do anything but work in my favor, especially for the DO schools.

Well, first, a letter is a letter and if it's good, it will help. Second, an entire summer isn't necessarily a huge deal when you factor in people who've been shadowing for two or three years, as some have. Others don't, but some do. Is that your only clinical experience or do you volunteer/work in health care as well?

Also, keep in mind that you're not supposed to be reading these letters. You know that, right? You're supposed to waive your right to see them. I assume you knew that and since the doctors sent you a copy you took a peek. If not, then don't tell anyone. Med schools discount letter seen by the applicant.

Oh, is that what the poster meant? I thought he meant that MSUCOM doesn't accept any letters that were sent to Interfolio.
I would think a school would accept a LOR regardless from the agency from which it is sent. I thought he meant MSUCOM doesn't take the electronic version. I've never heard of a school flat out not accepting LORs that were sent from an agency or office that collected them for the applicant.

MSUCOM did used to have an... interesting... form that they asked LOR writers to fill out. However, when I called them they said a standard LOR would be just fine. They have changed their application procedure (as in interviews not required anymore), so I am unsure as to their current policies.

Well, first, a letter is a letter and if it's good, it will help. Second, an entire summer isn't necessarily a huge deal when you factor in people who've been shadowing for two or three years, as some have. Others don't, but some do. Is that your only clinical experience or do you volunteer/work in health care as well?

as much as i hear people applying w/o any experience with a DO....i figured a summer would look pretty good. and ive also been around other DOs in different settings, but just for not that long.

thats not my only clinical expereince, i've been volunteering in a healthcare setting since high school. this summer ill be volunteering at the osteopathic center for children and families and possibly as a red cross volunteer on the navy base. i dunno if this is considered health care, but i work as a student athletic trainer, working with the athletes on a daily basis. its directly applicable to my future career goals in sports medicine and i make it a point to highlight that in my PS. in fact, most of my clinical experience has been focused on sports medicine/orthopedics. this fall, i will also be in a clinical setting as i have an internship with a local hospital working with AIDS patients. ill be interacting with support groups and goin on client visits and also workin in clinic with the docs. it should be a good experience and will happening during the interview process...so well see how that works out.

Also, keep in mind that you're not supposed to be reading these letters. You know that, right? You're supposed to waive your right to see them. I assume you knew that and since the doctors sent you a copy you took a peek. If not, then don't tell anyone. Med schools discount letter seen by the applicant.

i was kinda confused on this whole subject. my school sent me an email with a waiver regarding whether or not i had seen the leters. i never signed it. and i have seen the doctor letters, but I will be sure to keep it on the low. i havent seen any of my other letters tho, and i dont think i will get the chance to peek because they are coming from professors and will go straight to the pre health advisors office.

thanks for the advice.

EDIT: with the whole waiver thing........how is it that some people write their own letters which the docs/professors "edit" and then sign as if they had written it themselves? do these applicants not sign the waiver or do they just lie about it/not mention it?