Questions about match

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

cc_01

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi everyone - great forum, have been reading for a while and finally got around to registering :)

Had a couple of questions about the residency match process (that were also posed on prior threads but not answered)...was wondering if anyone had any thoughts - thanks in advance!

1. If you're waitlisted, do you write the program a note to say you're interested, etc, like you'd do when applying to med school? Wouldn't they already assume you're interested if you applied...?

2. If I haven't received a confirmation cover sheet from a program by now (batch 5), is it OK to call the program and ask?

3. Does the "you may expect a decision about interviews by ___" date mean anything, i.e., if the date's already past, do I call or assume it's a no?

Members don't see this ad.

cc_01 said:
Hi everyone - great forum, have been reading for a while and finally got around to registering :)

Had a couple of questions about the residency match process (that were also posed on prior threads but not answered)...was wondering if anyone had any thoughts - thanks in advance!

1. If you're waitlisted, do you write the program a note to say you're interested, etc, like you'd do when applying to med school? Wouldn't they already assume you're interested if you applied...?

2. If I haven't received a confirmation cover sheet from a program by now (batch 5), is it OK to call the program and ask?

3. Does the "you may expect a decision about interviews by ___" date mean anything, i.e., if the date's already past, do I call or assume it's a no?

1) I don't understand what you mean by "waitlisted". In the match process, you either match or you don't. You either get an interview or you move on.

2) Call and inquire politely. It doesn't hurt.

3) In this process, if you haven't heard then it may still be good news. Be patient because some programs offer interviews fairly late (end of November).

Good luck!

By waitlisted I meant waitlisted for an interview (i.e. put on alternate list). Thanks!

Members don't see this ad :)
I was put on an alternate list at Iowa, do you happen to know if this is a short list or a long list and what are the odds of being taken off the list? tks.

Yoshimi79 said:
I was put on an alternate list at Iowa, do you happen to know if this is a short list or a long list and what are the odds of being taken off the list? tks.

The alternate list on Iowa is not long. This means everyone liked your application but you didn't receive a high enough score to get an interview. Depending on how many people opt-out of the Intertiew, you may or may not get an interview.

Hang in there and good luck.