Questions About NCC

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Doctoscope

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
I have been learning more about what fellowship paths there are post neuro residency, and I came across NCC. Just an M1, but I had a few questions about it.

Is NCC a competitive fellowship, similar to cards/GI/PCCM/heme onc? i.e. will I need to be coming from an academic program? Or is this something I’ll be able to match given I’m a decent resident who works hard?

How is the job market for NCC? Is this a niche field with only a few amount of jobs available, or is it a growing field? From what I read about everyone wanting to be a CSC, it seems like it would grow, but I wonder.

What is the compensation like for NCC? Previous posts seem to put it at ~350k. Is that still true?

Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

It’s not very competitive at all now. A lot of NCC fellowships don’t offer visa (a temporary issue) but because of this they’re struggling to fill as NCC switches over to ACGME accreditation. Even after this is resolved it’s similar in competitiveness to stroke.

Compensation is ~280k academia and ~350-450k in private at a nice non LA/NY city : similar to PCCM. It is a growing field overall.

Reactions: 1 users