Questions about Neurosurgery

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

amrm

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Ok I have a lot of questions that I want to cover and the first one is do you feel like going through 7 ~ years residency is passing quickly because you love it? Ofc its obviously a long time but does it feel like time passes quickly? Second question. If I finish M.S in Europe ( I have a European citizenship ) will I be able to do my residency in the US? If it is possible then will I be able to work there after i finish residency? If its not possible and I do my residency in Europe so I can then Apply a request to work at the US and live there? My final question is when you finally get there and become a neurosurgeon can you have a normal life? I mean fixed hours,to go outsomewhereat the evening and just do what you want to besides your work ( Do you have to be a neurosurgeon on call?)

Members don't see this ad.

Relatively quickly

Yes but toull be at a disadvantage when applying
If you so a us residency you can work in us. If you dont then typically not.

You can have whatever lifestyle you want but your location and salary will be affectes. I knew a neurosurgeon who did locums work for half a year and lived off the money the other half. To each their own.
Ok I have a lot of questions that I want to cover and the first one is do you feel like going through 7 ~ years residency is passing quickly because you love it? Ofc its obviously a long time but does it feel like time passes quickly? Second question. If I finish M.S in Europe ( I have a European citizenship ) will I be able to do my residency in the US? If it is possible then will I be able to work there after i finish residency? If its not possible and I do my residency in Europe so I can then Apply a request to work at the US and live there? My final question is when you finally get there and become a neurosurgeon can you have a normal life? I mean fixed hours,to go outsomewhereat the evening and just do what you want to besides your work ( Do you have to be a neurosurgeon on call?)

Relatively quickly

Yes but toull be at a disadvantage when applying
If you so a us residency you can work in us. If you dont then typically not.

You can have whatever lifestyle you want but your location and salary will be affectes. I knew a neurosurgeon who did locums work for half a year and lived off the money the other half. To each their own.

OK dumb q from an EM resident lurker on short call....I get nervous if its been a while since i've done a damn central line. Can you really be that good at neurosurg that a 6 mo. break doesn't jam up your game? I mean, certainly at that pace there will be procedures not attempted in over a year?

Members don't see this ad :)
OK dumb q from an EM resident lurker on short call....I get nervous if its been a while since i've done a damn central line. Can you really be that good at neurosurg that a 6 mo. break doesn't jam up your game? I mean, certainly at that pace there will be procedures not attempted in over a year?

Once the anatomy is internalized and the techniques are muscle memory, it comes back quickly. The speed may be a little slower for the first couple of cases back, but it returns quickly.

As an aside, many surgical programs, regardless of the field, are rather top heavy. That is, the junior residents are doing smaller procedures, having the attendings or senior residents walk them through it, while learning the clinical side of the field. It isn't until the senior/chief years that they are actually in the operating room every day and doing cases with more autonomy.

Reactions: 1 users
Neurosurgery residency hours are brutal (like 100 hours per week brutal), and the vast majority of neurosurgeons after residency work more than 60 hours per week.

Sent from my iPad using SDN mobile