Questions About NJ Limited (3-Year) Permit for Postdoctoral Fellowship

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Piquica

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
An intern at my current site is currently grappling with decoding some NJ licensure requirements. She doesn't have an SDN account, so I offered to post her question and pass along intel. Any advice would be most welcome! Thank you from us both in advance!

She says:

Hello!

I am a NJ resident looking to obtain my 3-year psychology permit. For this application it says I need to fill out the "Supervisory Form for Psychology Candidates" (attached). I'm curious who should fill out this form. Should it be our current internship supervisor or our new postdoc supervisor? The form is confusing as it states that by filling out the form we are eligible for unsupervised practice which is not the case considering that I am applying for a 3-year-permit and will be supervised.

Thank you!

Members don't see this ad.

Attachments

• Supervisory-Form-for-Psychology-Candidates 2.pdf
    234.3 KB · Views: 54
Her internship supervisor fills out this form. Her proposed postdoc supervisor fills out Application for Proposed Supervisors form (attached).

Every 6 months, her postdoc supervisor(s) will fill out the Supervisory Form for Psychology Candidates, as well as write a letter summarizing their work together in the past 6 months. The language about "ready for unsupervised practice" indeed makes no sense in the context of an internship supervisor filling it out, but little about the NJ Board makes any sense at all.

Attachments

• Application-for-Proposed-Supervisors.pdf
    532.2 KB · Views: 55
Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
An intern at my current site is currently grappling with decoding some NJ licensure requirements. She doesn't have an SDN account, so I offered to post her question and pass along intel. Any advice would be most welcome! Thank you from us both in advance!

She says:

Hello!

I am a NJ resident looking to obtain my 3-year psychology permit. For this application it says I need to fill out the "Supervisory Form for Psychology Candidates" (attached). I'm curious who should fill out this form. Should it be our current internship supervisor or our new postdoc supervisor? The form is confusing as it states that by filling out the form we are eligible for unsupervised practice which is not the case considering that I am applying for a 3-year-permit and will be supervised.

Thank you!

Also, I just checked my files, and I also had my internship supervisor fill out this form.

Please tell your friend to be as proactive as humanly possible with the NJ Board. They are notoriously slow and unresponsive. I remember waiting months to get that permit approved, and was regularly getting emails saying they hadn't received certain items (even after previously sending me emails that they had received those items), etc. Email every day. Bother them mercilessly. Get the director of their postdoc site to email them daily (mine did!).

Reactions: 1 user
Her internship supervisor fills out this form. Her proposed postdoc supervisor fills out Application for Proposed Supervisors form (attached).

Every 6 months, her postdoc supervisor(s) will fill out the Supervisory Form for Psychology Candidates, as well as write a letter summarizing their work together in the past 6 months. The language about "ready for unsupervised practice" indeed makes no sense in the context of an internship supervisor filling it out, but little about the NJ Board makes any sense at all.
She says thank you so much for the information! She felt very validated by your comment about the nonsensical language and the opacity of NJ Board requirements at large.

Also, I just checked my files, and I also had my internship supervisor fill out this form.

Please tell your friend to be as proactive as humanly possible with the NJ Board. They are notoriously slow and unresponsive. I remember waiting months to get that permit approved, and was regularly getting emails saying they hadn't received certain items (even after previously sending me emails that they had received those items), etc. Email every day. Bother them mercilessly. Get the director of their postdoc site to email them daily (mine did!).
Oof. I will pass the information along!

Thanks for checking your files. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.