Questions about Oral Surgery Specialty

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

lton00

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am interested in the OMS dental specialty and I have some questions I like to ask. Is there a difference between the number of hours OMS doctors vs. regular doctors work a week and salary? How long does it take to become a Oral surgeon? What kind of surgeries can they perform...some people have mention they can do plastics but do they have to received any extra training for this? And one last question, do most OMS doctors have the kind of autonomy as other dentists or do most of them work at hospitals and are always on-call? I'd like to thank you guys in advance, this information can help see if I should seriously spend time to shadow an oral surgeon.

Members don't see this ad.

All your answers can be answered simply by SHADOWING ORAL SURGEONS. If you are so interested in becoming an Oral Surgeon, then you should take the initiative to learn about them and their duties ON YOUR OWN. You should not ask us for answers (how much they make, etc.) and THEN decide if you should shadow Oral Surgeons.

You should "SPEND TIME" with Oral Surgeons, then discuss whether you would like to pursue that route. In the meantime, check out this web site to answer most of your questions on OMS:

http://www.aaoms.org/residency/residency_template.asp?entity_id=25&content_type_id=73

Yah-E -

no offense, but chill out. if people want to answer his questions, they will.

Members don't see this ad :)
yah e,

i think the purpose of this site is to help people and not to discourage them from asking for help....and most of all you shouldn't speak for all of us on this forum. if you dont want to answer it then don't.

Yah-E, you're the president of your class...if anyone knows, it should be you that being a cooperative professional will get you a lot further than being a tool. It sounded like an honest question to me. Be nice. :)

----------------------
University of Iowa
Class 2006

First of all, you all should try to answer and help this person in this thread in regards to his or her post instead of encouraging me to "chill"!

Secondly, all I was trying to do is to inform this person to be more self-motivated to find out more about OMS! Since this person is SO "interested" in OMS, don't you feel that (s)he should take the initiative to find out more about this specialty first on his or her own? In doing so, wouldn't ALL of his or her questions easily be answered by interacting with oral surgeons!

Third, I may be critical of this person, but at least I lead him or her to the right source that can answer his or her questions about OMS! Why don't you guys be more productive and help this person, huh?! As far as I'm concerned, I am and was "chilled"!

I HATE ALL OF YOU! :love:

It's alright to tell someone to shadow as part of your advice, but dont threaten them with violence Yah-e.

YAH-E SUCKS!!!!

You people are all way off base, and have very little clue as to what you are talking about. I find it ironic that all the newbies, with 2, 6, 7, 8, and 9 posts, can find it so easy to criticize Yah-E, who has nearly 1000 posts. Quite honestly, 900+ of those posts have come in the form of helping others.

I completely agree with Yah-E on this subject -- if the original poster wants to find out about OMS then he should spend time talking to/shadowing OMS dentists! Further, after commenting on this factor, Yah-E posted a *great* link which has tons of information which the original poster can access.

If you don't want honest answers to your questions, along with honest feedback, then you shouldn't post here, and it is as simple as that.

And certainly, such highly constructive phrases such as "Yah-E sucks" are not welcome in the community.

P.S. Yah-E is in love with the profession and is an extremely highly-motivated individual. As such, it pains him when lazy people drop by the forums and want to base their career decisions on money or work-week hours, yet have spent a total of 0 hours investigating the profession on their own. I'm in complete agreeance with him.

G,
Sorry about the constructive phrase. I couldn't resist. I think the responses to this question quickly went down hill and then culminated with my response. We should all be more professional on this forum and respect those with **** loads of posts.
890 posts to go!

Originally posted by ItsGavinC
You people are all way off base, and have very little clue as to what you are talking about. I find it ironic that all the newbies, with 2, 6, 7, 8, and 9 posts, can find it so easy to criticize Yah-E, who has nearly 1000 posts. Quite honestly, 900+ of those posts have come in the form of helping others.

I completely agree with Yah-E on this subject -- if the original poster wants to find out about OMS then he should spend time talking to/shadowing OMS dentists! Further, after commenting on this factor, Yah-E posted a *great* link which has tons of information which the original poster can access.

If you don't want honest answers to your questions, along with honest feedback, then you shouldn't post here, and it is as simple as that.

And certainly, such highly constructive phrases such as "Yah-E sucks" are not welcome in the community.

P.S. Yah-E is in love with the profession and is an extremely highly-motivated individual. As such, it pains him when lazy people drop by the forums and want to base their career decisions on money or work-week hours, yet have spent a total of 0 hours investigating the profession on their own. I'm in complete agreeance with him.

Not sure if you were talking about me or not, but my post was a joke poking fun at how everyone was giving yah-e a hard time. I thought that was quite obvious.

:clap:

Look at this old thread....

What a bunch of ******s!

I look at this and I laugh!

Thanks for backing me up, G!

I like to type perfect sentences. I love to place commas and make sure that I uppercase every I that I type. I often think I over-exaggerate and think too much when I am determining my sentence structure, but I love being professional. It feels good being the King, Please Vote For Me!