Questions about OSCAR psych

Started by snowman91
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

snowman91

New Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I'm an MS4 going to NMC Portsmouth for psych residency. I heard about the OSCAR program a little less than a year, and really like the idea of embedded mental health with the infantry. I'm prior enlisted (Army NG 13F) and have a soft spot in my heart for grunts. This might be getting ahead of myself, but since I have 2 elective rotations during intern year, I'm thinking of trying to finagle my way into doing one of them with an OSCAR at Lejeune. Anyways, questions are as follows:
  • What does a typical OSCAR psychiatry work flow look like, in terms of schedule and approach to practice while in garrison?
  • What does the deployment cycle look like?
  • How much lee way is there regarding practice style/approach?
  • How much dumb **** do you have to do? Ya'll know what I'm talking about.
That's all I have for now; I appreciate any information. I'm excited about the idea of being able to work directly with marines as embedded mental health, but I'm also a little worried that it might just end up being a lot of box-checking and not so much useful treatment.