Developed vasovagal syncope during psych residency

Started by deleted1192521
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

D

deleted1192521

Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
So before medical school I was a scribe in the ED and saw all sorts of stuff and never had a problem. During my core rotations everything was fine, a little queasy, but never a problem. Recently, just hearing people talk about needles, surgeries, and trauma has made me feel lightheaded. I feel like if I were to give a vaccine or something basic I would hit the floor. I have not passed out yet, and if I do, I will not lie on my PHA or anything, but what's likely going to happen if this issue continues and becomes a problem? I would like to have a career in the Army and stick around for 20 years at least.
 
So before medical school I was a scribe in the ED and saw all sorts of stuff and never had a problem. During my core rotations everything was fine, a little queasy, but never a problem. Recently, just hearing people talk about needles, surgeries, and trauma has made me feel lightheaded. I feel like if I were to give a vaccine or something basic I would hit the floor. I have not passed out yet, and if I do, I will not lie on my PHA or anything, but what's likely going to happen if this issue continues and becomes a problem? I would like to have a career in the Army and stick around for 20 years at least.

these things are usually all psycho-somatic. With enough exposure, your symptoms should abate. You can of course pick a specialty that doesn't involve procedures. But no matter the specialty, and especially in the military, you're likely to encounter blood/needles somewhere.

So get enough exposure until you quell your anxiety and symptoms. If that doesn't work, you're in the wrong business.
 
these things are usually all psycho-somatic. With enough exposure, your symptoms should abate. You can of course pick a specialty that doesn't involve procedures. But no matter the specialty, and especially in the military, you're likely to encounter blood/needles somewhere.

So get enough exposure until you quell your anxiety and symptoms. If that doesn't work, you're in the wrong business.
Hey, thanks for the reply. Right, I am a psych resident, so I lucked out there. However, if I am utilized as a GMO and pass-out frequently, it seems like I would be more of a hindrance rather than a utility. Will I just be kept where I am not a problem or kicked out? I plan on getting treatment and exposure to get past it, but I want to know the worst-case scenario.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I would be more of a hindrance rather than a utility. Will I just be kept where I am not a problem or kicked out?


That's exactly right. And as a GMO (at least in the Navy), you're sometimes expected to do basic procedures (basic suturing, pulling nails, dressing a wound, etc). Operational doctor stuff.

Get treated. It's all in your head (pun intended). It can be fixed.
 
Hey, thanks for the reply. Right, I am a psych resident, so I lucked out there. However, if I am utilized as a GMO and pass-out frequently, it seems like I would be more of a hindrance rather than a utility. Will I just be kept where I am not a problem or kicked out? I plan on getting treatment and exposure to get past it, but I want to know the worst-case scenario.
I had vasovagal syncope while in the chamber getting flight tested with the Air Force...they definitely don't care. This seems like a non issue.
 
Hey, thanks for the reply. Right, I am a psych resident, so I lucked out there. However, if I am utilized as a GMO and pass-out frequently, it seems like I would be more of a hindrance rather than a utility. Will I just be kept where I am not a problem or kicked out? I plan on getting treatment and exposure to get past it, but I want to know the worst-case scenario.

Don't think your fainting goat impersonation is gonna get you out of your ADSO, and don't worry, the patients will still be there when you wake up.

😉
 
Don't think your fainting goat impersonation is gonna get you out of your ADSO, and don't worry, the patients will still be there when you wake up.

😉
Whoa, responding to a post nearly a month old and not taking the time to read what I said! You must be one of those real special soldiers lol. You probably barely scraped into the Caribbean with your reading comprehension. Next time, you should read the post. You look goofy, sir! 😉🤓
 
Whoa, responding to a post nearly a month old and not taking the time to read what I said! You must be one of those real special soldiers lol. You probably barely scraped into the Caribbean with your reading comprehension. Next time, you should read the post. You look goofy, sir! 😉🤓
Lighten up, Francis
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Sir, your hobby is SDN, and you are upset about dislikes! I don't even have to try to make fun of you. Get off the internet, nobody respects you here... or likely anywhere.
You are so out of your element. You don't know who likes whom. If anyone needs to gets offline, it's you.

And don't speak for other people. I don't want you to become syncopal.

Also, there was one other poster that recklessly gave out singular dislikes. He got banned.
 
... Recently, just hearing people talk about needles, surgeries, and trauma has made me feel lightheaded. I feel like if I were to give a vaccine or something basic I would hit the floor. I have not passed out yet, and if I do, I will not lie on my PHA or anything, but what's likely going to happen if this issue continues and becomes a problem? ...
If Army, worst case if unable to serve as an AMEDD Officer, you could be transferred to another AOC (Logistics, Chemical, ADA, FA, Signal ...) to complete your ADSO.
 
Maybe you could practice what you study (supposedly). By the way, you're not witty or sharp, at least at my looking. But, you go! You can do it!
I don't even know what you're trying to say. I think you need to calm down; none of this is good for your blood pressure. I apologize for hurting your feelings by disliking your messages. I didn't realize it would make you so upset 🙁
 
You can't be a psych resident. More like a patient. You certainly seem to not be able to read well. I'm sorry for you.
The sentence in which you used "supposedly" doesn't make sense...
 
Last edited by a moderator: