Questions about pharmacists always changing jobs?

Started by Timbo
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

Timbo

Full Member
10+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Newish pharmacy grad here (I graduated last year). I've been working as a full time staff for the past year. I feel fortunate to have found this position although it is in a less than desirable area. One thing I noticed is that many retail pharmacists are constantly leaving their jobs to work somewhere else. How does that affect your accrued vacation time and 401k vesting? Do you just lose it?
 
Policies vary by workplace. Do you have a benefits guide? You should see your retirement vesting schedule there. For instance, my previous employer gave you an increasing percentage of the 403b match until you were fully vested at 5 years, and had a policy where they would payout your remaining PTO after you resign.

It's not uncommon to leave for a better job after you've gained a little experience. Some people may be willing to take the hit if it means a better working environment.