Questions about pharmacy career in industry sector

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

wolingfeng

Full Member
15+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Hi,
I am currently a P1 student. I heard lots of stories about different career opportunities. So for a Pharm D, besides community pharmacist and hospitical pharmacist, I've heard some stories about pharm Ds in industry sector. And one of my school's faculties quit his job, who was going to retire soon, went to work in a pharmaceutical company. I am very interested about this kind of path, and especially research. I know most lab bench research is for those Ph Ds, and research for Pharm D is a small percentage overall. But I don't think I will be able to change to Ph D. And I think with a Pharm D degree (in addition to some extra post-grad training), one can also do lots of interesting stuff in term of research. And about clinical research, is it common for a person w/ a Pharm D degree to get involved with that type of things?

Another questions, in term of salary, is there a substantial difference compared with people who works in community setting, at beginning as well as in a long term? And how much space really are there for a career advancement in the industry sector?
 
Well, I am a PhD studying biostatistics and I have similar goals. Either work for the FDA (which would be really cool since you would know what EVERY pharmaceutical company was doing) or a pharmaceutical company itself.

With PhD in statistics the salaries fresh out of school are as follows:

FDA ~ $80,000
major pharm company in New Jersey - Philadelphia ~ $90,000-$95,000
major pharm company in North Carolina ~ $75-80,000
the CRO's - around $75-80,000

So, I know that the numbers for PhD in pharmaceutical sciences are VERY similar to this. I highly recommend going into pharmacokinetics or doing a fellowship by going to Midyear. That is a very HOT field.

After about 5 years of experience you will be earning around $110K or more.

So, you will equal a pharmacist's salary at least although maybe a little lower at first. But in the long run you can be much higher.

I am in PhD program in statistics which is not pharmacy but we work for the same companies as a PhD would in pharmaceutical sciences.
 
What school do you go to Wolingfeng? If it has a good reputation like UNC or Michigan your chances of industry fellowship are MUCH higher. It is all about the schools connections. It might be hard coming from a retail-based school to do this is what I am saying.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I am from SUNY Buffalo. And I think my school's pharmaceutical science department is even more prestigious than its pharmacy part. And I know my school does offer fellowships for Pharm D grad, and I've asked some questions during the career pathway program. Because I've attended a symposium in combinatorial chem and biochem, although the subject is not quite the same field for Pharm D, but they're very related, all about drug development, and I was really shocked and really interested in this type of stuff. Although I am 90% sure that I am going to research direction, there is this little thing I am concerned. Because typically, fellowship/residency requires a few years of hard training with a significant pay cut, and my family needs my support financially, that's why I am a little bit concerned about the fact if I can compensate the loss. But again I think about it, in a long run I will feel more satisfied about my life.... so hehe.
 
I am from SUNY Buffalo. And I think my school's pharmaceutical science department is even more prestigious than its pharmacy part. And I know my school does offer fellowships for Pharm D grad, and I've asked some questions during the career pathway program. Because I've attended a symposium in combinatorial chem and biochem, although the subject is not quite the same field for Pharm D, but they're very related, all about drug development, and I was really shocked and really interested in this type of stuff. Although I am 90% sure that I am going to research direction, there is this little thing I am concerned. Because typically, fellowship/residency requires a few years of hard training with a significant pay cut, and my family needs my support financially, that's why I am a little bit concerned about the fact if I can compensate the loss. But again I think about it, in a long run I will feel more satisfied about my life.... so hehe.

You seem so motivated & interested...have you spoken with your SO - is that the family you need to support or is it parents & siblings?

I think you'll be able to compensate your loss over time - your income will indeed go back up, particularly if you have good communication skills. So...if your family is with you about sharing these few years of schooling, it can all work out for everyone.

Also, consider, as you do a fellowship - you can also moonlight as a pharmacist. I know its tough.....but, we had a 2 friends while my husband was in dental school who did that - one was a pharmacist & worked weekend night shifts & the other was a fireman & worked the weekend - 48hrs on. Its hard, but can be done.

Good luck!
 
Wolinfeng, you ARE at the best place for pharmacokinetics, PERIOD.

DO it!!!

My school sends a lot of statisticians to the pharmaceutical industry and FDA.

And you struggled because SUNY-Buffalo is one of the toughest programs and is very research-oriented. It is a harder but better pharmacy school if you want positions outside of retail.