Questions about PTA to PT

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

PTorPTA

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm having a hard time deciding if I want to start out going into a PTA program or if I should continue preparing for my GRE test in order to get into a DPT program next year. With the PTA program, its a first come first serve and I would plan to apply for Fall of 2015. But with DPT there's a chance I could get accepted, and a chance I get denied even if I have everything turned in. I have already earned my Bachelors degree. I've been doing a lot of reading and read a few posts about it only being 2 schools in the US that have a program that allows a PTA to do continuing education and transition into a PT. I don't want to work so hard to become a PTA and have to move across the state in order to become a PT.

"If get into the PTA program and would still be able to transition into a PT in the same state, I would like to go that route. Plus it would give me more time to prepare for the GRE."

What are you opinions?
Should I got for PTA or DPT.?
Is it any truth about it only being TWO schools in the US that allows you to do continuing Ed.

Members don't see this ad.

Read up
http://www.apta.org/PTA/Careers/PTAtoPT/

Quote: "Individuals who are seeking a career in physical therapy should not consider PTA a "stepping stone" to a physical therapist career for a variety of reasons"

I would not bank on your state school suddenly acquiring a PTA to DPT program. That website specifies one PTA to DPT bridge program.
Listen, if you choose the PTA route you are putting 2 years into an associates degree that wouldn't carry over into DPT coursework. Most DPT programs are so rigorous you wouldn't be able to work as a PTA at the same time unless you tried to get into a hybrid online program or the bridge program. You would be paying for a degree you wouldn't really use (if you plan on becoming a DPT) and would then start the 3-year long schooling for DPT after already doing 2 years studying to become a PTA. You sound like you want something you can bank on, but really decide if PTA or DPT is the long-term career choice for you, not just what you think will be the most convenient to get into.

Thanks! I want to become a PT. What i didn't want is to get into a PTA program for 2 years and then start a DPT program for another 3 years.
I had been trying to figure out if I were a PTA, would I still have to do an additional 3 years for a DPT program or if i would only have 1 or 1.5 years left.

Members don't see this ad :)
Unless you get into the one and only PTA to PT transition program in the country, you would have to do another 3 years for PT. If you want to do PT, just go straight into a DPT program. Even if you don't get in the first time around, reapplying the following year would still be faster than doing PTA first.

Unless you get into the one and only PTA to PT transition program in the country, you would have to do another 3 years for PT.

The bridge program also takes 3 yrs, so you're not saving any more time with this option...

I've been a PTA for 2 years, and am currently applying to DPT programs for various reasons.

I love being a PTA, it is not, at all, a stepping stone. PTA courses will not carry over for any credit in DPT programs, or getting into DPT programs.
Bridge programs are 2-3 years, and there are only two of them in the country so far. The requirements to get in are pretty hefty as well.

If you have any questions and think I can help, let me know. I've researched DPT programs extensively before setting out to apply.

Reactions: 1 user
Why are there only two bridge programs in the country? Shouldn't these be more popular for aspiring PTs who are already PTAs?

I think one of the reasons is that schools go after the "low-hanging fruit": there are lots of students willing to pay 3 years' tuition to get a DPT. There are probably fewer PTA-to-DPT candidates, and the program would probably be shorter, so in the end the schools would make less money. And I think schools will also need to get the bridge program accredited. Why go through all that hassle when they have DPT candidates lining up outside the door?

There are probably fewer PTA-to-DPT candidates, and the program would probably be shorter, so in the end the schools would make less money.

My bridge program was 3 years and also year-round. In addition, the school is private. They FOR SURE made a lot of money, lol!!!! I almost had an MI when I saw my final loan statement :smack:

So if the bridge program is still three years what's the advantage of that over a regular DPT program? Does the bridge program not require a bachelor's degree?

So if the bridge program is still three years what's the advantage of that over a regular DPT program? Does the bridge program not require a bachelor's degree?

A bachelor's and GRE is required to get in as well as having been a PTA for at least a year. The advantage is that we are able to work as PTA's near full-time (and required to work at least 40 hrs) while attending the school on the weekends. This does off-set the cost of tuition and travel somewhat, but school is still expensive!

A bachelor's and GRE is required to get in as well as having been a PTA for at least a year. The advantage is that we are able to work as PTA's near full-time (and required to work at least 40 hrs) while attending the school on the weekends. This does off-set the cost of tuition and travel somewhat, but school is still expensive!

Ah, gotcha. Sounds brutal never having to go to school on weekends after working and studying all week.

One of my friends was a PTA and except for clinicals, she was able to work 1-3 days a week (home care) throughout schooling. Just wanted to put that out there as it is possible to work somewhat during school.

Ya I looked at the websites for the two bridge programs, both of them actually require that you work a minimum of 20hr/wk as a PTA except during clinicals, IIRC.

Reactions: 1 user