questions about research

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

beamiestface

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am s sophomore at a LAC, majoring in cognitive science, and I'm about a year behind on the traditional premed path (ie by the end of this year I only will have completed the general bio and general chem sequences). I would like to do research in the hard sciences this summer, but are any positions like that open to someone who hasn't taken orgo yet? Also, do summer reseach programs (particularly those that offer stipends) prefer science majors/those with more hard science courses to non-science majors? Since I'm not majoring in a hard science, will I get any opportunity to research either this summer or by next summer when I will have completed the basic premed classes (although not any hard science beyond those classes)?

Do medical schools look favorably upon research in your major field if you're not a science major, or do they not care about non-science research? Since I'm a cognitive science major I am going to participate in cognitive science research while at school, but I feel that my other opportunities to research are limited because of my still-limited experience in the hard sciences.

Also, does anyone know of summer undergraduate research programs near central New Jersey (maybe Robert Wood Johnson)?

Thank you!

Members don't see this ad.

Well, I am doing research at my school, and I haven't even taken any of the Bio and won't until this summer! With my case, all it took was interest in a subject matter, and they hooked me up with something that will turn into a publishable paper. So just talk to them. Tell them what you are interested in, and only do what interests you because you will be probably grilled about it during your acceptance to med school.