questions about research

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

medical22

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
I have a couple of questions about doing scientific research in a lab. First of all, where do most pre-meds conduct research? At their undergrad colleges or medical schools?

Secondly, what if you want to do research for a year or so before applying to med school but don?t want to make it your career. When ad coms ask you about your experience and if you want to continue research after med school or something, is it okay to say no? Then they might wonder why did you do it in the first place. What is a good answer to that?

Members don't see this ad.

Many people do research in undergrad. Many people do research in Med school as well, but I wouldn't worry about that just yet.

Most undergrad schools will give you credit for doing research. So depending how into it you are you can do it for like one semester or summer, or for a couple of years during undergrad.

Plenty of people do research also in between undergrad and med school. This would not be looked down upon by adcoms. It will be looked at that you took time to pursue something that interested you as long as you have a strong commitment to medicine, of course.

I took 2 yrs off after college to pursue basic science research at a medical school. I was having a tough time deciding between med school, grad school, or both. The subject comes up often in my interviews, but no one has yet grilled me on why I don't want to pursue it any furthur. I also spent a lot of time during the past two years as an ED volunteer. I ususally say something to the effect that my clinical experiences were more rewarding than my research, thus I want a career in clinical medicine, not academic. My interviewers have seemed to accept that explanation for what it is--the truth. A lot of people take time off for research and then don't continue on to grad school. Ad coms will not see this as unusual at all. Perhaps it is even looked at positively because it shows you have explored other options, i.e. the possibility of grad school, or academic medicine.

Members don't see this ad :)
What I wanted to know was WHERE do undergraduates conduct research, not WHEN. I know that research can be done anytime (while pursuing a B.S. or M.S. or M.D., etc.). I'm sorry if my question wasn't clear.

Undergrads can do research by taking a research course offered at their school, or by talking to faculty conducting research to see if they need any help (by helping and impressing them with your work, they might let you do independent research as well).
About the research after med school question, an interviewer asked me why I chose med school rather than pursuing research. I pretty much just said my wide range of experiences (clinical setting vs lab research)made me realize that I would much rather work with patients daily than work in a lab, although the research experience has been helpful in improving my problem solving skills (which will be useful as an MD)

I did research during my junior and senior years of college in a lab in my department.

Don't do research for the sole reason of putting the experience on your resume, especially after college. Why would you want to devote one full year to research before medical school and then say you don't like it? Better to do it during undergrad or pursue a Masters.

Yes, it's definitely okay to say you don't like research. Most of the admissions people are physicians and they feel the same way.

I personally felt research lacked human interactions, despite the fact that it was challenging and is a factor in the admissions decision. Say you enjoyed research for its many challenges, but wish to apply it to a similar endeavour that combines the challenges with patient interactions. Always tell them the truth, don't say you love research when you really despise it.