Questions about retaking courses at ucsd

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

futuremd3040

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I recently just got back to ucsd campus after a long break due to personal reasons and decided to go for medical schools. I realized I need to retake at least 4-5 C+/-prereq courses to replace my scores for DO schools. After doing researches on courses offered at surrounding community college , I found out that a lot of the series of courses I want to retake are divided into 2 parts while the same serie is divided into 3 parts in ucsd. For example, I only want to retake bio3 among bio1,2,3. But the same course is offered in cc as bio I and II. It's really confusing but I guess I will have to take both I and II to replace bio 3 in ucsd?? I also want to retake ochem 1 (C)before I take ochem 2( haven't taken it yet) because I don't remember nothing from ochem 1 anymore after that long break. As a result, cc courses schedule is not matched up with my current schedule and plan at all. So I'm thinking why not just retake all the classes at ucsd if it's possible?it will be easier for me to plan shedule also it's more challenging( which I like). However, everyone knows that uc don't allow students to take classes that are graded higher than C-. So can I still retake them at ucsd ? I saw some guys on this forum talking about that you can still retake c classes at uc.Just enroll in class anyway and your score will still be printed on your transcript(with an "unauthorized grade"mark on the side)but they just won't be counted towards you gpa or total points. Is that true? If it is true,will DO school still take my most recent grade to calculate my gpa anyway eventho it says "unauthorized grade"and not being part of my achieved units ? (Same question for md schools, I understand they don't do grade replacement but will they add my newer ucsd unauthorized score on top of the old score to calculate cumulative ?)

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited: