Questions about Scholl College

• Thread starter The Real Scholl
  • Start date
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Hey Mandy, I have heard that podiatry schools average retakes in courses the way that MD schools do, and not replace them the way that DO schools do. Is this true? And if it is, my soph year when I switched my major to biology first semester I got C's in both my cell bio and genetics courses. This semester I am taking the following: Neurology, Immunology, Medical Genetics, Endocrinology and Gen Chem I (which I also got a C in that semester). I am wondering since I don't have much to take next semester if it would be better to retake the cell bio/genetics courses to prove I can ace them or take new courses (microbiology, A and P II?) since the grades would be averaged?

Members don't see this ad.

Hey Mandy, I have heard that podiatry schools average retakes in courses the way that MD schools do, and not replace them the way that DO schools do. Is this true? And if it is, my soph year when I switched my major to biology first semester I got C's in both my cell bio and genetics courses. This semester I am taking the following: Neurology, Immunology, Medical Genetics, Endocrinology and Gen Chem I (which I also got a C in that semester). I am wondering since I don't have much to take next semester if it would be better to retake the cell bio/genetics courses to prove I can ace them or take new courses (microbiology, A and P II?) since the grades would be averaged?

Yes, our new application will average repeated courses. Just an FYI, Scholl College has always used this rule for calculating your sGPA and overall, so this is nothing new for us.

So, two things to consider: If you have the time to retake a class, only retake classes you know you can bring the letter grade up by two grades (meaning, it does nothing but cost you $ if you retake a C graded class and get a B-). Also, if you have fully exhausted all of your upper division course choices in Biology at your school, then start planning the retake.

In some cases (not all, but some) moving into harder, upper division coursework (assuming good grades) will expose you to more content... prove to us through new course work that the no-so-good grades from your FR and SO years was more a fluke and not a pattern. More content exposure is going to help you in two areas: MCAT and surviving the first year of pod med school. AP and Micro are excellent choices for your SR year that will directly impact you for your first year of pod med school.

Does that help?
Let me know if you have any other Qs.
MM

Mandy,
Does Scholl grant interviews/acceptances for students who apply in September 2009 and who do not have a MCAT score for students who plan on taking the Jan2010 MCAT?

Members don't see this ad :)
Mandy,
Does Scholl grant interviews/acceptances for students who apply in September 2009 and who do not have a MCAT score for students who plan on taking the Jan2010 MCAT?

Another great question! And, if I may, I'd like to take this question and really break it out into it's components.

If you, and others, have been following the thread, you'll know that I have already addressed the issue of taking the MCAT in fall and applying before your scores are available. I posed these questions to those applicants:

Quote: "Is your overall and sci GPA above average? Have you completed shadowing of a DPM and will provide this letter with your application? Are your letter of rec solid and from science faculty? If your answers to these questions aren't favorable, then, yes, we might wait until we see your scores. If the answers are favorable, then you might get reviewed a head of time."

For Jan MCAT takers, you can pretty much ask yourself the same series of questions. Likely, you too will be granted an interivew if your repsonses are favorable to the aforementioned questions.

Whether or not conditional acceptances are granted before MCAT scores (and, yes, we have done it in the past) depends on the Admissions Commitee and your personal interview. Some years the AC is really strict with these offers. In other years, they have been more willing to take a chance on the applicants presented. I know the commitee members well this year and I'm inclined to say we'll likely be granting a few conditional offers to well deserving applicants who show a good reason for "postponing" the MCAT.

Did/do you have a good reason for having not already taken the exam? Tell us this in your personal statement so we know what your plans involve.

A word of caution for April MCAT takers: you may not fair as well in our review. In some years, we have filled the class before we get the results of your April exam. Unless you have a really good reason for waiting, plan to take a winter exam to be considered competitive for SCPM.

Does this help? I hope so. I know our process seems elaborate and complex.. but trust us: we're professionals!

MM

Okay all - brace yourselves: we're changing our interview format this fall!

And, I am I totally excited about it!

You, all, on the other hand, may need a little bit of time to adjust. I want to make sure you all have the correct information so as to prepare appropriately.

We're switching to a panel interview!

I'll wait for you all to stop groaning. Done...?

Okay, here is the deal. I LOVE the panel interview. And, you should too. Here's why.

We're planning to have a basic science faculty, and DPM and a student/student affairs staff member attend the panel interview. Yes, this means you may actually interview with real life students! This is good for you. Students are waaaaay more sympathetic towards interviewees... they all remember sitting in our interview room waiting to be picked out of the crowd. Also, just a note, students will not be privy to your academic record (blind interview if you will), only your demographic information. They are also upperclass students who will never see you in clinic/class.

A multiple person interview also allows you to connect with different faculty during the interview process. Whereas a single interviewer may not pick up on how you single-handedly saved the AED convention last year, a multiple person review will catch these little details about you... and give you the best opportunity to shine during your visit with us.

You should read up on how to "work" a panel interview. There are many tips from professionals to help you navigate the panel and make a great impression (or read other reviews on SDN for tips).

In any case, the panel interview is not meant to intimidate you.. and no we won't ask you about the Krebs Cycle (promise!) or your favorite Supreme Court Justice. We just want to get to know you... and this is the best way for you to make a great impression on a lot of folks while you are here. Hey, if you are spending the $ to spend the day with us, why not make the most of your visit?!

Let me know if you have any questions about our new format!

MM

Hi all,

Just talked to the folks at the application service. The application will be live at 3PM Eastern this afternoon.

No need to worry.. just start pinging the link at 3PM!

Call the 800# if you experience any technical difficulties!

Good luck to all of you as we start the application season. And, I look forward to meeting a great many of you at your interview. Think positively!

Mandy

Hey Mandy,

I just started my junior year in college and from the start of my sophomore year, I have been checking out your scholl website and needless to say, but I am totally in love with the school!. Scholl has become like my dream school. I just wanted your take on my chances on attending Scholl.

I haven't taken the MCAT yet, I plan to take it in Jan 2010. But my cGPA is 3.8 and my sGPA is 3.6. I haven't actually shadowed a DPM yet, I plan to do that this semester. I basically have very minimal clinical experience in the field of podiatry in terms of working, volunteering, and shadowing. What do you think I would need to make me a strong applicant for next year's application? What MCAT score do you think would be acceptable with my application, as I am bad at standardized tests?

This is my last year in college to beef up my application and I hope to make it a very productive one and hopefully one day attend my dream school: Scholl!!!!!!

Please respond in full detail

Thanks

Hey Mandy,

I just started my junior year in college and from the start of my sophomore year, I have been checking out your scholl website and needless to say, but I am totally in love with the school!. Scholl has become like my dream school. I just wanted your take on my chances on attending Scholl.

I haven't taken the MCAT yet, I plan to take it in Jan 2010. But my cGPA is 3.8 and my sGPA is 3.6. I haven't actually shadowed a DPM yet, I plan to do that this semester. I basically have very minimal clinical experience in the field of podiatry in terms of working, volunteering, and shadowing. What do you think I would need to make me a strong applicant for next year's application? What MCAT score do you think would be acceptable with my application, as I am bad at standardized tests?

This is my last year in college to beef up my application and I hope to make it a very productive one and hopefully one day attend my dream school: Scholl!!!!!!

Please respond in full detail

Thanks

I am thrilled that you are looking at Scholl College as your first choice in professional medical education! From our board passing rates to residency placement, Scholl offers students a wonderful opportunity in podiatric medicine!

Okay - on to your Qs. You've got 12 months (give or take) to accomplish a great many things. My first piece of advice: Don't Try To Do Everything. Pick a few things, see how it goes and then add from there. For example, perhaps you are an active "member" of your local AED or other science honor society... this year, try your hand at a leadership role with a fundraiser or event - or run for an elected position if it's not too late. This gives you more to reference in your PS and your interview, rather than, "I was just a member of a 100+ clubs..."

Next, try your hand at volunteering, in a clinical setting would be nice... try an ER room or a multi-care/urgent care clinic...add just a few hours a week at first to see how it works for you. It may take you a few months to ID the right experience, so start your research now. Homeless shelters and foodbanks are in need of a lot of support these days. Pick something you really do care about in your community. Don't try to juggle 30+ hours of work and volunteering, tho. Think strategically.

So, you've added a leadership role with one of your clubs and you are now actively volunteering. Next, beef up the relationship with the DPM you've been shadowing. You'll need an excellent reference, so stay in contact (weekly or bi-weekly) with your physician to make sure you see plenty of procedures and have time to chat with the DPM about his/her experiences. Keep a log of your shadowing so you don't forget what you've done/seen/hours.

Internships, Research, Meaningful Electives (Drama, Sororities, Scouts, etc) are also important, but, again, add what makes sense and don't try to overload yourself.

And, a final word on courses.. yes, your GPA is important to us and mostly we're concerned with what you have accomplished to date at the time of your application - BUT, don't disregard your SR studies. Stay in those upper division Sci classes. I promise.. it will help you in your first year of pod med studies.

Let me know if you have any other Qs! And, good luck!
Mandy

Hi all,

I know many of you are busy working on your applications, but I wanted to take just a moment to clarify our process so you will know what to expect from Scholl College.

When you "submit" your application, AACPMAS is the first to recieve your electronic application. Your application is loaded to our admissions portal within the day and I can see if your status is "pending documents" or "pending verification." Pending documents means one or more of your transcripts have not been recieved by the application service. Likely, you can see this information, too!

SCPM is not reviewing applications with any pending status. Once your application is completely verified and "delivered" to our office, we will match your application to your LORs that have arrived in our office.

You, too, should be able to see that your application has been delivered to our office.

We take anywhere from 24-72 hours to review applications once they are complete... this depends mostly on the day of week your application is complete in our office. Since we interview on Thursdays, many of our process decisions happen on Friday when the AC meets. We take those decisions and process them the next week -- sending letters, invites, etc.

I hope that clears a few things up and helps you understand our process.

Really, as we start to pick up the pace with application review and interviews, the BEST way to get a response from Kim or I is to email. We try to return all emails within 24 hours. If you call, you must leave a message... we don't have caller ID on our phones that alerts us to the fact you have tried calling 18 times in a row and never left a message.

Before applying and you have Qs, contact Mandy:
[email protected] or call me directly: 847-578-8419

After applying and you are checking your status, contact Kim (she prefers email so she can research your Q before she gets back to you!):
[email protected]

Good luck to all of you completing applications this month!

Mandy

I have a question concerning letters of recommendations. I have about 5 or 6 letters of recommendation. I have one problem, though. A few of my letters are addressed for admission into medical school because that is how they interpreted Podiatry School. Will it be okay to send those letters as well?

Hi PodApp,

One thing most advisors struggle with is how to categorize podiatric medical school... your advisors/recommenders have your letters correct: this is medical school! I won't take any offense to reading a recommendation where someone is evaluating your ability to deliver healthcare to the sick, elderly, injured, athletes, etc!

Now, a little bit of unsolicted advice: I, personally, stop reading letters around the 6th or 7th letter! So, use a little discretion when sending in ALL of those letters to ALL of the schools you are applying to this fall. My best suggestion is to take your strongest letters and send them to your first choice school(s). This way I am not as likely to skip over the letter where your recomender references your abilities to leap tall buildings in a single bound because it was the last one in the stack I was reading.

Hope this helps!
Mandy

Hi all,

I've been lurking (yes, I tend to do that once in a while) on some of the other threads and came across a really interesting question about scope of practice driving the decision to attend a specific school.

My apologies to the author of the question for deciding to post an unsolicited response, but I felt it important enough to warrant the intrusion.

A few things you need to know... and I am going to answer generally for the profession.

Regardless your choice of school, your training complies with the Council of Podiatric Medical Education Standards. This is our accrediting body which sets the standards for all schools, regardless the state they are situated.

This means, to you, that even if your school of choice is in a state which allows practice priviledges up to the hip, or restricts your practice to the forefoot, students are granted training priviledges that extend to the foot and ankle.

Note I said "practice" priviledges" vs "training priviledges." This is true for students seeking PM&S 36 Residencies in states which prohibit ankles procedures... you still get the scope of training upto the ankle... it's just that if you decided to stay in that state to set up your practice as a licensed DPM your practice will be restricted to the forefoot.

One more thing: this is what one part of Vision 2015 seeks to change... if the scope of training for a DPM is consistent across all 50 states, then the practice laws ought to reflect that standard, too. Our students work diligently as members of the APMSA lobbying congress and state legislators to change some of the out-dated rules. If you are going to consider podiatry as a career choice, I urge you to become educated on this very matter, as it will impact your careers the most!!

Google APMA Vision 2015 or read this: http://www.apmsa.org/index.php?opti...y-strike-team&catid=903:about-apmsa&Itemid=53

Scholl College's role in this was to update our curriculum two years ago to mirror the allopathic model of training - two years of basic and clinical science and two years of clinic/externships. From our Associate Dean of Academic Affairs:

In support of Vision 2015 and as a leader in podiatric medical education, Scholl College is at the forefront of change. We are pleased to announce that beginning with the Class of 2012, modifications to our curriculum will occur. We remain committed to providing you with the same level of excellence in education that has always been the hallmark of Scholl College.

We have a strong tradition of providing students with an exceptional education and our core curriculum in the first year will continue to provide you with a solid foundation in the basic biomedical sciences. Even though the core program remains unchanged, you will now be exposed to more clinical courses at an earlier stage in your education. As one of the primary benefits of the new curriculum, you will also have more clinical experiences throughout your education, particularly in your third and fourth years.

And, yes, there will be an interview question about this!! No, just kidding. Or, am I??

Let me know if you have any Qs!

Mandy

Last edited by a moderator:
Members don't see this ad :)
I have a question! I emailed every school to ensure that they have received my LOR's. Every single one has replied, except for Scholl. What's up with that! ;)

Serioulsy though, thanks so much for all of the wonderful information you've provided in this thread, it's appreciated! Especially the above post you made, very informative--hopefully everyone takes your advice on this and reads up!

Thanks! :)

I have a question! I emailed every school to ensure that they have received my LOR's. Every single one has replied, except for Scholl. What's up with that! ;)

Serioulsy though, thanks so much for all of the wonderful information you've provided in this thread, it's appreciated! Especially the above post you made, very informative--hopefully everyone takes your advice on this and reads up!

Thanks! :)

well... I *was* just getting ready to email you!

Kim and I operate a two person office; not that we are any busier than our colleagues, but when I am out of the office recruiting (or in this case, getting ready for an event on Wednesday at the University of Illinois) Kim is basically by herself in the office. We try to get through as much mail, both physical and electronic per day as possible, as well as phone calls, etc. Really, we aren't ignoring your calls and inquiries, but we do have to prioritize our work! I'd much rather make sure we're pushing an applicants file to the next AC meeting for a timely review (in which case you'll hear from us anyway!) than follow up with that applicant five times about their status.

I hope that doesn't make Kim and I sound heartless! We really do pride ourselves on our customer service!

Okay... now I need to get back to my emails for the day!

MM

well... I *was* just getting ready to email you!

I hope that doesn't make Kim and I sound heartless! We really do pride ourselves on our customer service!

Okay... now I need to get back to my emails for the day!

MM

Hah! :laugh: Good reply, I'm glad you found the humor in my post and zinged me back. :) Really though I just wanted to say thanks for all of the great information, I'm sure everyone appreciates it as much as I do! On that note, I'll let you get back to emailing! ;)

Heh, have a good one! :) Oh, and thanks for the email. ;)

Hi The Real Scholl!

If a student is invited for an interview, are parents or significant others allowed to attend to get a tour of the school, hear about financial aid, etc. I understand they are not allowed into the actual interview.

Hi Cutefeet,

Parents are welcome, tho not encouraged, to come with you to your interview day. Scholl does not have a formal "family presentation" for your guests.

If mom and dad insist, then we welcome them to join us for the AM Admissions Session where we cover curriculum and answer questions... as soon as the interview process begins, we excuse parents to enjoy the student union (big screen tv for dad!) or the bookstore for the remainder of the morning. If they are interested, they may join the group again for tour of the academic building, but not lunch with the students. I don't believe it is fair to the other applicants to have a parent a part of the conversation with students -- they might inadvertently hinder an applicant from asking a question like, "so, how much do you REALLY go to class" or "where is all of the night life at around here?"

Spouses are welcome to attend the AM session and tour; in many cases we can set them up with a Financial Aid advisor to get additional information about "dependent" moneys they may be able to qualify for (those with children.) But, again, we do not have a specific "family program" for guests.

I strongly discourage bringing pets! :)

Make sense?

Okay.. for those of you at Univ of Illinois, I'll see you at the grad fair this afternoon from 3-7 PM!! I know CSPM (Andre) will be there, too, so come on down and ask your questions in person!

Mandy

Mandy,

I have read the thread and have learned a lot thanks.

I was just curious how much weight is placed on research, community involvement and clinical experience. Do these things have equal weight when considering a candidate as much as GPA and MCAT scores?

Also, I know a science degree is not required however are science majors (I am a double science major) evaluated differently?

Thanks

Hi The Real Scholl!

If a student is invited for an interview, are parents or significant others allowed to attend to get a tour of the school, hear about financial aid, etc. I understand they are not allowed into the actual interview.

Don't bring your parents or boyfriend please. It's your interview, not theirs. Go walk around the school with them afterwards.

Hi Mandy,

I am currently in graduate school for physical therapy but I will be apply to Podiatry school this coming spring, and leaving the graduate program early if I get accepted.. I have a 3.7 cgpa and 3.5 sgpa, and have been scoring in the high 20's on my practice MCATs. I also have a variety of extra curricular activities including working in a hospital with a lot of patient contact, published research and volunteer experiences. My biggest concern is that I have not directly shadowed a DPM. I have shadowed other physicians and will be able to get LOR from them. I have been aware of the profession of podiatry becuase of my undergraduate work in athletic training and now with my physical therapy backround. Is not shadowing a DPM going to hurt my application? Also with my stats would I be a good candidate for those scholarships and other financial aid you offer? Thank you for your help.

Hi Gene2011,

It is an interesting question you raise: just what exactly do we look for when looking for community service, research or clinical volunteer/experience?

The answer is a very long winded one... and usually hotly debated around the AC table during the interview season. But, after many years of listening and contributing to these conversations, I think it boils down to a few highlights...these are the questions we ask when weighing your "experiences."

1. WHY did you you do it?
2. For HOW LONG did you do it?
3. What did you LEARN from it?
4. How does it make you a better student at Scholl?

I think you can see from this list, #4 is the hotly debated Q. CLEAR faculty get all excited about students with research experience; DPMS get all excited about clinical exposure...the Dean wants to know if what you did will bring something exciting to Scholl College.. another faculty may have a personal investment in your trip to Honduras or another might really be interested in your Special Olympics volunteer work... so it's never weighted equally.

Yes, you read that right... It's NEVER weighted equally. And, you shouldn't be concerned that it isn't! That's why the AC is made up of several DPM and BBS faculty - so that while the one reading (or interviewing you) your file may not care that you spent every summer digging ditches in Malaysia for the PeaceCorps for the last 10 years, SOMEONE on the committee is likely going to be impressed.

I guess this is where I stress again that being a "well rounded" candidate is always going to be in your favor. Yes, we like to see longevity in your passion and projects, but expanding your wings every now and again is also going to teach you a lot about yourself - and perhaps your patients in the long run!

I hope that clears it up for you!
Mandy

Hi MBFB44,

Thanks for the question!

Yes, not shadowing a DPM will absolutely prevent you from being a student at Scholl College. We require a letter from a DPM as part of your application. If you need help finding a DPM to shadow, you can visit the AACPM website and look under the tab "Contact a DPM." This is a list of DPMS all over the country (organized by state) who have willingly signed up to be mentors for students interested in the profession. Go visit, you will learn so much about the profession that you'll thank me later!

My second concern is the timing of your application. Scholl College follows the early April suggested deadline that the AACPM sets for being a preferred applicant. Those who apply after that date are not guaranteed a spot in the Class of 2014 nor are they guaranteed scholarship dollars! I'd get your application in early if you think you want to go after our pool of scholarship money!

Hope that give you a little motivation for shadowing this fall!

Mandy

Hello Mandy!

Thanks for all the info. I am planning to submit my application by the end of this week. But i have question on mcat. I took mcat on sept and didn't do well. I need to retake it. I am thinking of taking either Jan 30 or March 27 (if i need more time to study). So my question is, is the march 27th mcat too late? and Scholl won't review my file till i get my scores?

Thanks

Hello Mandy!

Thanks for all the info. I am planning to submit my application by the end of this week. But i have question on mcat. I took mcat on sept and didn't do well. I need to retake it. I am thinking of taking either Jan 30 or March 27 (if i need more time to study). So my question is, is the march 27th mcat too late? and Scholl won't review my file till i get my scores?

Thanks

Hi Nanu,

Sorry to hear about the rough MCAT score; keep working hard while you are studying for the re-take. Depending on what the first score is, bringing up your lowest section by just a few points may make all the difference in the world. So, start by not thinking of the exam as a whole, but rather 4 sections. Slight changes in section scores effect the whole score!

Okay, so let's talk strategy... you are not the first applicant who had a rough go around the first time with the MCAT. A few things you need to know:

You absolutely HAVE to let us know that you are planning a re-take. If you (or anyone else reading) fail to tell us this, we ASSUME you are not going to re-take the exam and will read your application accordingly.

Next, take the winter exam if at all possible. As I have stated before, April exam takers are not always able to get seated in our class. Start preparing now for the re-take by studying what you don't already know. Don't waste time studying the Krebs Cycle if you already KNOW that... go after material you haven't mastered.

Now, you need to know that, depending on just how rough the first score is, you may still be denied in the first review of your application. Scholl gets over 500 applications each year and we have to make decisions along the way to keep our process moving -- BUT HERE IS WHAT YOU AND EVERYONE ELSE NEEDS TO KNOW: I am always willing to re-look at an application we have denied when there is NEW information. So, if you are denied this fall and you do retake the spring exam and get a great score, call me! I'll absolutely re-open your file with the committee!

This works for anyone who is ultimately denied at Scholl, as well. If you aren't sure why we denied you, call me. I am more than happy to go over your file with you and give you ideas for how to be a successful candidate in a future admissions cycle. Trust me, there are a lot of strategies we can pass along to you for how to strengthen your application.

Good luck studying and I look forward to reviewing your application in a few weeks!

Oh, and just a note... technically, I am off vacation today, but I'll be at the Bradley University fair all day (noon to 3 if you are at BU!), so I'll be back in the office on Friday!

My fall travels will also take me to:
BYU-Idaho (next week)
Christian Bros and Vanderbilt (last week of Oct)
Stanford (first week of Nov)
BYU and UVU (second week of Nov)

Hope to see you and your friends at the events on campus, or if I am in your area, but you won't be at the school's fair, let me know.. we can meet up at a local coffee place to chat about Scholl in person!

Good luck to those who are interviewing today at Scholl!

Hi all,

Don't forget, for those of you in the Southeastern Idaho area, I'll be at the BYU-Idaho fair tomorrow from 10-3PM. Stop by if you have questions you want to ask in person...!

Oh, and I just added a pre-med session at Vanderbilt next week, so if you are in the Nashville area and want to meet, let me know! Dr Baum is having the DPMs who are on staff at the hospital in for a presentation on the career -- then I'll be there to talk about admissions. Thursday, Oct 29th if you are at Vandy and thinking about a career in pod med! See you there.

Safe travels to those who are making their way to the Chicagoland area today for interviews tomorrow! I know you'll do a great job. And, I hope you don't have to suffer through a fire drill like the med candidates did on Tuesday... We want your day to be memorable - but NOT that memorable!

MN

Thank you so much, Mandy. I know you are on vocation but is it possible to make phone appointment with you to discuss how can I be a successful candidate for Scholl.
Also, we don't have pre-pod advisor here in our university. We would love if you guys can visit to University of Washington and talk about admissions :)

THE UW?!?!?!?!!? Why, yes.. I would LOVE to visit the UW (Go DAWGS!! Hmm, can you tell that I am an Alum??)(and, no, that doesn't mean I don't LIKE all of the other colleges you all go, to... but, I have a special place in my heart for UW grads!). Oh, and there is a pre-health advisor at the Mary Gates Center... not sure who that person is these days, but you can drop in and see if you can get an appt.

Okay... now that I have that out of the way... Nanu, give me a call at 847-578-8419 or send me an email ([email protected]) Fri or over the weekend. I'll be back in the office on Monday and I'll get back in touch with you then. We can set up a time to chat about admissions and talk about a UW visit. I am tentatively planning a visit in the spring, but maybe we can set something else up!

Now..don't you have some studying to do?? Quit reading this thread and GO STUDY!

Night,
MN

I have already applied to Scholl, and I have recently decided to retake the MCAT in January to help improve my application. If you have already received my full application is it still ok to email you guys and let you know that I plan on retaking in January? Could this still help my chances of getting in this year?
Thank you so much for your help!

Hi PodGirl,

Yes! Just simply send me or Kim an email (asap!) so we can include this information in our initial review of your application. Your email does not need to be lengthy -- just include your name, applicant number and the date of your retake.

You might want to call the other schools you have applied to and let them know the same information, too!

Good luck on your retake!

MN

Hi all,

I wanted to take a moment to see if any applicants/candidates have any questions they wanted to ask in light of a few recent posts in a different thread.

I'm here and I'm willing to answer any questions you have.. in public or in PM.

Posts like these are not new to the boards. Posts like these do cause me to stop and take a moment to self-reflect: What do we say about ourselves, what messages do we give to students (you) and what does Scholl have to offer to you? I've taken a little time to reflect on these questions over the last few days before posting.

... And, I will never make a promise to an candidate I can't keep. Things do change - I'll admit that to you in a heart beat. I talk about this with my colleagues every day. If we continue to do what we do today for the next year, we'll be out of date tomorrow. Things must change in order to keep up with the world we live in and the world you will practice in tomorrow. And, change sucks. I know it, you know it, but it's how we address and deal with it that defines us.

Many of you have long heard me say, The "best" school is not the "best" school for everyone. And, each year I have 90+ or so seniors with 100 different opinions about how and why we do things the way we do; what works and what doesn't. The bottom line for me: I celebrate students who will stand up, stand out and talk to me and other faculty about what works... and what doesn't. We have plenty of great opportunies at Scholl for hard working and determined students. Equally, we have issues just like every other graduate, health, professional and medical school out there. Yes, you heard me: I know there are things that can be improved. And that's why I, and others, come to work everyday. I'm looking for a better way to attract top students to the profession; top students to Scholl; top marketing strategies that others will imitate and copy. Why? Because I believe in every student I admit. I cheer for every student who grows into an accomplished practitioner and applaud every student who crosses the platform at graduation.

Scholl chooses to make public our board scores, residency placement rates and financial aid default rates so that candidates can make an informed decision about Scholl College. We have good years and we have not so good years - but our commitment never waivers: each one of us is here to make you a better student and a better future doctor.

I'll be honest - I'd prefer to have a face to face conversation about these things and not have to work through an anonymous post through an equally anonymous message board. But, this board exists for a reason - it's a forum for you to discuss information, seek advice and offer solutions. I will never interfer with that process. If you seek my thread, you seek honest answers about Scholl College (and an occassional musing about the profession in general.)

Choose your professional school not based on what others say or do; choose for the reasons that will make YOU successful.

I'm here if you need anything.
Mandy Meinhardt Nau (yeah.. I got married! :) and my new last name is Nau)

Well said Mandy! I know you have been very helpful throughout the application cycle for me and I am positive you have done the same for many others as well.

Hi Mandy!
I plan on taking physics in the summer in order to apply to pod school in the traditional time frame (I am junior and currently taking organic). I am considering taking physics at a community college because it will be considerably less expensive and it is a lot closer to my house. If I only take one prerequisite at a community college, do you think this will hurt my application? Could you tell me how podiatry schools in general would view this?
Thank you!!!!!

Hi Mandy!
I plan on taking physics in the summer in order to apply to pod school in the traditional time frame (I am junior and currently taking organic). I am considering taking physics at a community college because it will be considerably less expensive and it is a lot closer to my house. If I only take one prerequisite at a community college, do you think this will hurt my application? Could you tell me how podiatry schools in general would view this?
Thank you!!!!!

Hi SN3,

Thanks for a great question!

There are a few questions I think you should be asking yourself before you decide to attend a CC to finish your remaining pre-requisites. First, is your overall GPA competitive? How about your sGPA? If you are struggling in the university level sciences, it may look as if you are “boosting” your GPA by attending CC to take what some universities call a “weed out” class. (I’ve skirted this issue before in this thread… and I know that physics is physics and I am probably one of the biggest CC proponents, but I want to give you information to make you competitive for Scholl College!).

Another question you need to ask yourself is: how many schools have I transferred to/from in my undergraduate career? One new trend we are noticing in applicants is multiple transfers… and in some cases, it appears as tho every time things got a little rough or challenging they transferred; taking CC classes may appear as tho they are looking for a easier route, again. These are not the kinds of questions you want to spend precious interview time answering about your academic background.

So, take some time to evaluate your situation before opting for the CC physics classes. If none of the aforementioned topics apply to you, it likely won’t hurt your application at Scholl College!

Also, you’ll need to contact the other pod colleges you are applying to next fall; each of us has different policies and opinions about CC work!

Good luck!
Mandy

Hi Mandy,

Is it true that Scholl starts clerkships in January of 3rd year? I believe OCPM starts in March and all other schools start in May. This would mean that Scholl students have "first dibs" in January and February and Scholl/OCPM students will have first dibs in March and April...correct?

Thanks!

PS...congrats on the wedding!

Hi Mandy,

Is it true that Scholl starts clerkships in January of 3rd year? I believe OCPM starts in March and all other schools start in May. This would mean that Scholl students have "first dibs" in January and February and Scholl/OCPM students will have first dibs in March and April...correct?

Thanks!

PS...congrats on the wedding!

Hi JanV88,

Thanks for the warm wishes... and to you, welcome to the Scholl family! I look forward to seeing you again this fall.

Yes, SCPM starts its external rotations in Jan of the P3 year and we are the first to send our students out on clerkships! We believe that the extra months of rotation allow our students to have “extra time” in elective rotations – which translates into more opportunity to visit potential residency programs around the county. Some students translate that into “I can get the nerves out of the way earlier” when going into your first external rotation! So, by the time you hit the end of the P3/beginning of the P4 you’ve hit your stride and can impress the heck out of the Res. Directors!

Let me know if you have any other questions!
Mandy

Hi Mandy!

There has been a lot of talk with other seniors that it doesn't matter what your grades are once you are into professional school, and I don't really believe that is the case. But what if you were to get one low grade aka a C in a non-required class would your acceptance or scholarship at a school be changed in anyway?

Thanks!

Hi Mandy!

There has been a lot of talk with other seniors that it doesn't matter what your grades are once you are into professional school, and I don't really believe that is the case. But what if you were to get one low grade aka a C in a non-required class would your acceptance or scholarship at a school be changed in anyway?

Thanks!

Hey Cutefeet,

Interesting question... Pretty much, we use the information presented at the time of application to make our decision about you as a candidate. For those with work In Progress there is an assumption that your spring work will be at the caliber of the work you’ve completed to date.

If the In Progress work includes a pre-req, we assume you will pass it. If you do not, then it will absolutely affect your acceptance.

So, this where things get sticky:

In the scenario you've presented, (one C in a non-required class)(I’m also going to assume a non-science course) a low grade likely isn’t going to be a huge problem… meaning I’m not going to recommend we revoke your acceptance if the rest of your transcript is covered with As and Bs. Nor are we going to revoke your scholarship if you’ve earned one. You should expect to get a tongue-lashing from me (but my bark is much worse than my bite). The first year is hard enough without slacking off in the last semester of your undergraduate career.

The main reason for this is simply a matter of averages and weight: By the time you’ve achieved 120+ semester hours, one 4 semester hour class can’t sway your overall GPA that much… but if it drops your science GPA, then you may have some reason to be concerned. This is because some of the non-science majors don’t have as many science hours to absorb a poor grade. Even though a B/C/P/M course isn’t a pre-req it still counts as part of your science GPA!

The bottom line: don’t slack off in your last semester of school! It’s not worth all of the worrying!

Hi all,

As we head into the holidays, I wanted to take a moment to wish all of you a warm and safe Thanksgiving Holiday! Safe travels to those going to see family this week. Our offices will be closed on Thursday, November 26th and Friday, November 27th. Kim and I will be back in the office on Monday, November 30th.

As well, the University will be closed on December 24th, 25th, 31st and January 1st in observance of the winter holidays.

Mandy will be out of the office December 21-23 and Kim will be out of the office December 28-30 - so that we can spend some time with our families.

Happy Holidays!
Mandy

Scholl Candidates and Members of the Class of 2014:

I want to thank those of you who have taken the time to fill out the interview feedback form on SDN -- for those of you who haven't, please take a moment to post your thoughts.

Your feedback and recommendations are extremely helpful for those interviewing into the new year! North Chicago isn't the easiest place in the world to get to (we're not quite in the middle of no-where, but you can see it from my office!):) so your advice helps!

Be sure to post constructive critisms, too!

Mandy

Hi all,

I hope this post finds you all enjoying the first few weeks of the holiday season!

I was reading the threads over the long weekend and happened across a conversation that caught my attention… and thought it was worth writing about here.

Let’s all be honest... and, I’ll start. Until 5 years ago, when I accepted my current position at SCPM, I hadn’t a clue what was podiatric medicine. I doubt many of you ran around as 8 year olds declaring you wanted to be a podiatrist when you grew up… you likely said nurse or doctor - or maybe even surgeon – because this is what society recognizes as a medical professional.

You can fault the profession for a percentage of our identity crisis – we’ve changed enough since the 60’s that it really is hard to keep up with the scope of training, where you go to school, residency training, etc. APMA needs to focus on PSAs, electronic PR productions (youtube, etc), and should have a hand in what is portrayed in homes across America every day... a la stories on Dateline, Discovery Health, etc. If the health issues in podiatric medicine were glamorized (or politicized), then it would become "main stream." We saw that for a brief moment last summer when Mike Huckabee used podiatric medicine in his stump speech about healthcare reform. Once we've reached into those markets, then you push for the "true to life" characterization of podiatrists on prime-time melodramas like Trauma and House, MD, continuing the "normalization" of the profession…and then you will start seeing 8 year olds running around your neighborhood wanting to be podiatrists when they grow up!

A recent practice survey shows that 41% of APMA members (roughly 16,000 practicing DPMs) graduated from their DPM program before 1985, (http://www.apma.org/MainMenu/Careers/Practice-Survey.aspx) making the youngest of this group almost 50 years old. These baby-boomer DPMs are experiencing the same crisis most health occupations suffer – not enough new practitioners to hire as Associates or Partners in their private practices, clinics and hospitals. Another study conducted at SUNY, Albany (2007) found,

“In order to increase the supply of DPMs enough to keep up with population growth, podiatric medical schools would have to nearly triple their production of graduates. And to keep up with the increasing demand for foot-related services created by the aging of the population and expected increases in the prevalence of obesity and diabetes, an even more dramatic increase in production would be required.”

The full report can be found at http://www.apma.org/MainMenu/Careers/2007-Podiatric-Medicine-Workforce-Report.aspx

These are just a few of the reasons why the APMA is working so diligently with hospitals to create and maintain PM&S-36 residency programs. We need to meet the capacity of graduates being produced now by the existing colleges – and to expand new programs to the point that potential new colleges coming on-line in the future would be able to place additional graduates.

And, so you start to see and understand why the colleges seem frantic to fill our classes – when we don’t, it literally means we have missed an opportunity to raise the profile of our – your – profession.

Dealing with the Devastation of Diabetes
Ansgar Olsen

Diabetes affects 246 million people worldwide, including 23.6 million Americans—almost 8 percent of our population. This devastating disease can lead to complications like cardiovascular disease and stroke, kidney disease, eye and nerve damage, and impaired wound healing— which often ends in amputation.

The research at Scholl College looks at diabetes from a variety of perspectives—from basic research to clinical trials, which are resulting in practical applications that have implications for use not only with diabetics but also with people in the general population.

When Ansgar Olsen joined the Army Reserve at the age of 17, he did so because he wanted to serve his country. Having served in the military, he is now serving his country as a student researcher at RFUMS, matriculating at Scholl in the fall of 2004. One month later, he was
called up to serve in Iraq, where he saw at first hand the crucial importance of foot care to the military—just as podiatrists had during World War II and all the wars since then.
Once back at Scholl, Olsen decided he wanted not only his DPM, but also a PhD. “I’ve always been bent toward basic research,” he says. So, after completing his first two years of podiatry school, he entered the PhD program and the lab of Dr. Robert Intine. Once his PhD work is completed, he will finish the work required for a DPM.
His research centers on a new project in regenerative medicine, which aims to find ways to stimulate the human body to replace lost or damaged parts on its own.
Though the subject of Olsen’s research, the zebrafish, a small guppy-like fish from southeast Asia, has a unique ability to regenerate nearly all its body parts, it is not known to develop diabetes in the wild. However, using a chemical compound, Olsen has been able to generate type 1 diabetes in zebrafish.
In type 1, or juvenile diabetes, the pancreas does not produce insulin cells, which are crucial to converting sugar, starches, and other food into the energy needed for daily life. Only recently was it established that the
zebrafish in its natural state can regenerate its pancreas. Now that Olsen has created diabetes in the fish, the next step is to assess their ability
to regenerate body parts in a diabetic state. This may open the way to a possible breakthrough for diabetic humans.
Olsen notes that future treatment for diabetes “will likely involve stimulating regrowth of pancreatic tissue or transplanting that tissue
into diabetic patients.” As a researcher, he sees himself “doing the intermediate steps to discover new therapies.” As a clinician, he will be able to apply the results of that research to patients. He finds himself in
both worlds, and feels lucky to be there.

More questions about research opportunities at Scholl College? Contact us... we're here to help. Or, contact Ansgar directly at [email protected]... he'd love to chat with you about his project.

Happy New Year!

Mandy Meinhardt Nau

Admissions and Recruitment

[email protected]

I know you are not the financial aid office but I figured I would post my question on the thread anyways just in case others have the same question.

I have a rough estimate of what I need to borrow to satisfy my total cost of attendance for my first year at Scholl. I am almost done completing my FAFSA as well...

Total tuition (27350) and fees (1086) at Scholl is about $28436 for the year. To cover my tuition and fee expenses I am hoping I receive the full $8500 of subsidized stafford loans and $19936 of unsubsidized stafford loans.

Outside of tuition and fees I need money for food, living expenses (rent and utilities), books, gas, health insurance, laundry, personal expenses, airplane tickets (for traveling home), etc.

Let's say I need about $30,000 to cover all non-tuition expenses. This makes my total cost of attendance for my first year at Scholl to be $58436. The amount of GRAD PLUS I should be able to receive:

my total cost of attendance (58436) - aid already received in stafford loans (28436) = $30,000

When reviewing the financial aid forms off the Scholl website it states that Scholl students only get $10000 for GRAD PLUS monies!!!

Where am I going to get the extra $20,000 to cover my non-tuition/ fee related expenses? Simply from OTHER private loans or are there other options for the Podiatry students at Rosalind Franklin?

Again, I will be calling the financial aid office about this tomorrow but I figure I would post this question online as well so that other future Scholl students can see.

studywithfury,

Can you post links to where it says the max for unsub. stafford loan is $19,936/year and max for grad plus loan is $10,000/year?

From what I found on the website the max sub, like you said, is $8,500/yr, max unsub. is $32,000/yr (PM1-2) $38,666/yr (PM3-4) and max grad plus loan, from how I understand it, is the difference between all the other loans/scholarships and the cost of attendance.

EDIT: I found the max unsub. loan here -> http://www.rosalindfranklin.edu/dnn.../UnsubsidizedStafford/tabid/1975/Default.aspx
and max grad plus loan here -> http://www.rosalindfranklin.edu/dnn/administration/FinancialAid/GradPLUS/tabid/1970/Default.aspx

Mandy,

I also had a question about financial aid. There is a section on fafsa asking about housing plans with the options of on campus , off campus , and with parents. I have sent in my application for on campus housing but I am not sure if I will get a room since it is a lottery system. So if I just pick on campus, will I be able to update the fafsa if I end up going off campus?

Last edited:
studywithfury,

Can you post links to where it says the max for unsub. stafford loan is $19,936/year and max for grad plus loan is $10,000/year?

From what I found on the website the max sub, like you said, is $8,500/yr, max unsub. is $32,000/yr (PM1-2) $38,666/yr (PM3-4) and max grad plus loan, from how I understand it, is the difference between all the other loans/scholarships and the cost of attendance.

EDIT: I found the max unsub. loan here -> http://www.rosalindfranklin.edu/dnn.../UnsubsidizedStafford/tabid/1975/Default.aspx
and max grad plus loan here -> http://www.rosalindfranklin.edu/dnn/administration/FinancialAid/GradPLUS/tabid/1970/Default.aspx

Mandy,

I also had a question about financial aid. There is a section on fafsa asking about housing plans with the options of on campus , off campus , and with parents. I have sent in my application for on campus housing but I am not sure if I will get a room since it is a lottery system. So if I just pick on campus, will I be able to update the fafsa if I end up going off campus?

JanV88,

Go to this website on the financial aid website of Rosalind Franklin: http://www.rosalindfranklin.edu/dnn...id/Forms/Applications/tabid/1963/Default.aspx

Click on the link for "Application for new borrowers". It is on this word document that it states that the max amount of $$$ Scholl students can get for GRAD PLUS is $10000 compared to the allopathic students who get $30000.

So us Scholl students only get 10000 from the GRAD PLUS...where am I suppose to get the rest of the $$$ I need to cover my non-tuition expenses?

Lastly, for the Stafford loands those max amounts you listed are correct but since tuition and fees = $28436 I would want to get the max amount of the unsubsidized (8500) allowed for students (since interest doesn't accrue until after school is finished) and get the rest of my stafford monies needed to cover tuition costs from subsidized (19936 out of the 32000 allowed for students) loans (since interest does accrue all through school from the beginning).

For students who are new to financial aid, Stafford loans can only be used to cover tuition related costs when you are attending a school. All non-tuition related costs (housing, living expenses, personal expenses) have to be covered by either some kind of a private loan or a GRAD PLUS private loan. The GRAD PLUS is actually favored in this case because it offers students a better deal.

Last edited:
Hey there StudyWithFury!

Great question.. I know the FA part of applying to pod med school is probably the WORST part of the whole process. I also want to state that I am not a FA counselor... I also know that there are several things that can impact your ability to qualify for any fed loans, so please take my answer with a small grain of salt. I'm talking to an "average" applicant. Your personal situation may be handled differently than your P1 or M2 roommate!

Based on 09-10 numbers (because your '10-11 budget hasn't been set yet) this is what our current P1 students could apply for:

Stafford Subsidized Loans = upto a max of $8,500 (need based -- and most of you are needy!)
Stafford Unsubsidized Loans = up to a max of $32,000 (just like the M1 students)

Whatever need is still unmet can be made up in Grad Plus Loans (like the Staff. Unsub loans, credit check required, some of you may need a co-signer if you have a low credit score). TYPICALLY, the average "unmet" need for P1 students is $5000 -- HOWEVER, the FA Office suggests asking for $10,000 (not a cap, just a suggestion)... just in case your "need" is more than the average students'.... Regardless, you personal loan amount is only for the amount you NEED (so no extra dollars to buy a new car or computer, move into your apartment, etc.).

Some students will have also received a scholarship award from Scholl College! If so, congrats! This amount figures into your overall need and can reduce the amount of Grad Plus Loan you need to take out!

Now, let's say that your rich uncle Harry decides to pay your room and board for next year, but you've already put down that you are in need of $10,000 to cover your housing -- if you loan has not been disbursed yet, you can "send any portion" of your loan back without any problems. If your loan has already been disbursed (i.e. in your bank account) then if you send any portion of it back, you'll still pay the 3% origination fee. So, pay attention when you get your loan award from the FA Office (not until June or so for the P1 students).

Still have questions? Let me know!

Mandy

studywithfury,
Mandy,

Hey JanV88 -- yep, go ahead an "assume" you'll be offered an apartment on the application. This is why we build "flexibility" into your loan amount up-front. We know we're asking you to make decisions when we haven't given you all of the answers. If your choice of residence ends up being off campus, the FA Office will adjust your application according!

This also works for last minute scholarship awards.. if we award you late, admissions notifies the FA Office of the change. They make the change to your award accordingly - drawing down funds from one of your Unsub awards.

Also, our packaging assumes a 5% increase in tuition... and if it turns out to be a different amount, we adjust your award automatically.

Let me know if you still have any Qs!
Mandy

Hey there StudyWithFury!

Great question.. I know the FA part of applying to pod med school is probably the WORST part of the whole process. I also want to state that I am not a FA counselor... I also know that there are several things that can impact your ability to qualify for any fed loans, so please take my answer with a small grain of salt. I'm talking to an "average" applicant. Your personal situation may be handled differently than your P1 or M2 roommate!

Based on 09-10 numbers (because your '10-11 budget hasn't been set yet) this is what our current P1 students could apply for:

Stafford Subsidized Loans = upto a max of $8,500 (need based -- and most of you are needy!)
Stafford Unsubsidized Loans = up to a max of $32,000 (just like the M1 students)

Whatever need is still unmet can be made up in Grad Plus Loans (like the Staff. Unsub loans, credit check required, some of you may need a co-signer if you have a low credit score). TYPICALLY, the average "unmet" need for P1 students is $5000 -- HOWEVER, the FA Office suggests asking for $10,000 (not a cap, just a suggestion)... just in case your "need" is more than the average students'.... Regardless, you personal loan amount is only for the amount you NEED (so no extra dollars to buy a new car or computer, move into your apartment, etc.).

Some students will have also received a scholarship award from Scholl College! If so, congrats! This amount figures into your overall need and can reduce the amount of Grad Plus Loan you need to take out!

Now, let's say that your rich uncle Harry decides to pay your room and board for next year, but you've already put down that you are in need of $10,000 to cover your housing -- if you loan has not been disbursed yet, you can "send any portion" of your loan back without any problems. If your loan has already been disbursed (i.e. in your bank account) then if you send any portion of it back, you'll still pay the 3% origination fee. So, pay attention when you get your loan award from the FA Office (not until June or so for the P1 students).

Still have questions? Let me know!

Mandy

Mandy,

I have tried to get in contact with the FA office the past two days but they have not gotten back to me so I figured I would ask you a couple more questions.

According to the figures you presented I can request a total of $40,500 from the Stafford loans. From the way I understand it, RFU will take whatever I owe for tuition out of that money and cut me a check for the rest so that I can use this money for my non-tuition expenses correct?

If I know I will need more money, then what is dispersed to me from RFU (once my tuition and fees are paid), then the additional amount of money I think I need should be requested through the GRAD PLUS loan correct?

Lastly, that suggested $10,000 for the GRAD PLUS is not a cap correct?

Thanks again!

Mandy,

I have tried to get in contact with the FA office the past two days but they have not gotten back to me so I figured I would ask you a couple more questions.

According to the figures you presented I can request a total of $40,500 from the Stafford loans. From the way I understand it, RFU will take whatever I owe for tuition out of that money and cut me a check for the rest so that I can use this money for my non-tuition expenses correct?

If I know I will need more money, then what is dispersed to me from RFU (once my tuition and fees are paid), then the additional amount of money I think I need should be requested through the GRAD PLUS loan correct?

Lastly, that suggested $10,000 for the GRAD PLUS is not a cap correct?

Thanks again!

Did you call the "Bat-Line" phone number I emailed you!?!?! It's a direct line for students who have been admitted... try that number to get a hold of the FA office!

Okay... let's assume you need $29,000 to cover tuition, fees, etc for the first year, it's a nice round number to work with. This leaves you an overage of $11,500 in your housing and living expenses budget (disbursed quarterly). If you live in on-campus housing, we actually pay your rent for you and then disburse what's left for the quarter directly to you.

If you live off campus, we will give you the overage -- and the responsibility falls on you to budget those funds over the quarter and pay your rent each month.

Let's say your actual need beyond the $11,500 is only $12,000. Then your GRAD PLUS loan would only be for $500.

If your actual need (full budget) was $20,400, then your GRAD PLUS loan would be for $8,900.

No more, no less. We *suggest* students request $10,000 so that we don't have to have you go back and adjust your request later.. it just slows the process down.

Let me know if you have any other questions!

Reactions: 1 user
Hey everyone...

I'm going to be out of the office from Friday, Jan 8 to Jan 22nd. A heavy two weeks of traveling for me...

So, don't freak out. I'll be back.
Cut Kim some slack while I'm away. She will get back to you eventually.
And, keep posting your Qs. I'll get back to you when I'm back!

Mandy