Questions about Scholl College

• Thread starter The Real Scholl
  • Start date
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
I have 3 questions, i may have a follow up depending on the answer.
1. I know we talked about retaking classes but do the traditional master or the one year Special one year masters offered such school as scholl considered as part of the retake average or is it completely separate? Which one is preferable? i have 3.1 overall and 2.9 science with math, and its later years that are bad so i am looking to see if i can try for the masters to see if i just struggled just because of the rough time i was going through or if medical school really is for me? will it looked highly upon if i pull off excellent grades in these masters program?

2. this question is about mcat test date, i am little confused about which month is the latest month to take in order to start fall term. For example if i plan on entering the class of 2011, meaning i will apply cycle of this summer 2010, the latest test i can take is may 21, 2010 or so did i get that right? the reason i ask if also because since the scores are only good for three years, and I go through the masters i need to plan properly to make sure things work out especially if i do traditional master program.

3. if i attend traditional master or special masters, should i wait to finish to apply for pod school? can I apply before i attend special master program and how woudl that work would you hold my application until i send the scores? or if i did traditional master i guess i would be apply before i start my second year, but i am afraid all the seats would be full before i finish?

thanks, if any of the questions are confusing please let me know i wrote at 1:30 in the morning, i will try to clarify.

Members don't see this ad.

I have 3 questions, i may have a follow up depending on the answer.

Hi CareerSearcher,

Let’s see if we can break this out into the different pieces and give you some answers with which to make decisions!

For admissions into fall 2011 (class of 2015), the drop dead date for the MCAT for Scholl will be May, 2011 – HOWEVER, please plan to take it earlier than that! There have been years where April/May MCAT takers did not have scores in time to be competitive for the class and were excluded from consideration. My best advice, take it no later than Jan 2011 to be competitive! If you are on track to take it in May 2010 –even better! This means your score will be available if you applied in Sept/Oct.

Okay, so MANY of the post-bac, one year MS in Biomedical Science programs require that you take the MCAT as part of the admissions process (like the MS in Biomedical Sciences at Rosalind Franklin University!) I’m not sure what the deadline is for the RFU MS BMS program is, but I can put you in touch with Melissa who can help you navigate this application. I will say this: if you are admitted to the RFU MS BMS program and maintain a C or better average, you are guaranteed an interview at Scholl College in the spring term!

So, by that logic, many students who are enrolled in one year, post-bac masters programs apply WHILE they are students in the other program. It’s best, especially if there are undergraduate GPA issues, to apply once your fall grades have been posted. This way we can see, demonstratively, how you perform in graduate level basic science courses. This, then, leads me to tell you that we evaluate UG, GR and post-bac GPA separately. We break them out and look to see your progress… how did you recover from a few bad semesters in your undergraduate years once you were serious (more mature?) about your studies!

Overall, a post-bac or masters program won’t hurt your application and if you believe this is the right track for you, please pursue it. Be prepared to discuss this issue at your interview (thinking positively about your application!) and what you have learned about studying at the graduate, basic sciences level as compared to your undergraduate science education!

Does that make sense? Let me know if you need further clarification!

Good luck!
Mandy

Hi CareerSearcher,

Let’s see if we can break this out into the different pieces and give you some answers with which to make decisions!

For admissions into fall 2011 (class of 2015), the drop dead date for the MCAT for Scholl will be May, 2011 – HOWEVER, please plan to take it earlier than that! There have been years where April/May MCAT takers did not have scores in time to be competitive for the class and were excluded from consideration. My best advice, take it no later than Jan 2011 to be competitive! If you are on track to take it in May 2010 –even better! This means your score will be available if you applied in Sept/Oct.

Okay, so MANY of the post-bac, one year MS in Biomedical Science programs require that you take the MCAT as part of the admissions process (like the MS in Biomedical Sciences at Rosalind Franklin University!) I’m not sure what the deadline is for the RFU MS BMS program is, but I can put you in touch with Melissa who can help you navigate this application. I will say this: if you are admitted to the RFU MS BMS program and maintain a C or better average, you are guaranteed an interview at Scholl College in the spring term!

So, by that logic, many students who are enrolled in one year, post-bac masters programs apply WHILE they are students in the other program. It’s best, especially if there are undergraduate GPA issues, to apply once your fall grades have been posted. This way we can see, demonstratively, how you perform in graduate level basic science courses. This, then, leads me to tell you that we evaluate UG, GR and post-bac GPA separately. We break them out and look to see your progress… how did you recover from a few bad semesters in your undergraduate years once you were serious (more mature?) about your studies!

Overall, a post-bac or masters program won’t hurt your application and if you believe this is the right track for you, please pursue it. Be prepared to discuss this issue at your interview (thinking positively about your application!) and what you have learned about studying at the graduate, basic sciences level as compared to your undergraduate science education!

Does that make sense? Let me know if you need further clarification!

Good luck!
Mandy

One follow up for now, you said that you recommend i apply after fall semester (in traditional masters i will be able to present three semesters of work) but with 1 yrs master i will be able to only present with one semester with my low science gpa that might not be enough, but by the time i apply in january won't classes would have been almost full, so wouldn't be out of luck to apply that late in the cycle.
sorry for so many questions,
thanks

Members don't see this ad :)
One follow up for now, you said that you recommend i apply after fall semester (in traditional masters i will be able to present three semesters of work) but with 1 yrs master i will be able to only present with one semester with my low science gpa that might not be enough, but by the time i apply in january won't classes would have been almost full, so wouldn't be out of luck to apply that late in the cycle.
sorry for so many questions,
thanks

Hi CareerSearcher,

Before I get into answering "the rest" of your question, let me just say this about our application cycle: Our applications are available to students in fall, typically in August/September timeframe. This said, at Scholl College, the bulk of our applications come in between January and March in order to meet the priority deadline of early April. For everyone else reading, plan accordingly!

So... for you, yes, this means we'll be reviewing your application as part of the winter surge of applications... but keep these numbers in mind as we chat here. Scholl College receives, typically, between 500 and 600 application annually. You'll never be one in ten thousand applicants at Scholl (and if I ever have that many applicants I'm gonna get real serious about asking for an assistant in the office). So, while you'll be part of a wave of candidates, you're not going to be lost in the shuffle. I promise.

Also, I think you are focusing too singularly on "just your science GPA." And, I know it's easy to just start thinking of yourself as a bunch of walking numbers: MCAT, verbal, UG GPA, GR GPA... aren't you much more than that - as a person? as a potential doctor? Have you noticed that the application asks for multiple pages of written description about WHO you are.. in terms of service, volunteer, work commitment, research, community? Be strategic and use this put "your numbers" into perspective!

Please, stop thinking about how your numbers are going to be reviewed by our committees...we're looking for other special and unique aspects about YOU. Start thinking about how you are going to present yourself in those terms and be confident in what you have to offer to us!

Make sense?

Mandy

Mandy,
I have just recently submitted my AACPMAS e-application with Shroll being on the list. In your opinion, do you feel I will be considered for an interview?

Undergrad GPA- 3.3 overall with science of a 3.15

Masters of Anatomy degree from Penn State Milton S. Hershey College of Medicine this May with a 3.2 gpa there. At PSUCOM I took gross anatomy, embryology, histology, neuroanatomy, biochemistry and physiology with the first and second year medical students. Also, I was asked to be an anatomy teaching assistant for the first year medical students this past fall.

Lots of extracurriculars and shadowing experience
2 years of wound healing research

The kicker is a low MCAT of a 21S. :mad:

Any thoughts would be appreciated. Have a great day!

Hi Mandy,

Thank you for answering all our questions. I was wondering if it was a big deal that I use one of my letters from April 2008. I wanted to get this letter udpated, but its proving difficult to get in touch with her. Also, I am not in school anymore, so to get to her office, I would have to go back to campus, which is far and try to catch her in her officer. She hasn't responded to any of my emails. She just had a baby, so I can see her being extremely busy.

My other two letters are brand new. Do you think it would be ok to use one old letter? Thanks.

Hi,

I am interested in applying for podiatry schools for the Fall 2010 entrance. I would like to know what are my chances with my current stats. I have 3.2 undergrad gpa in biochemistry, a 3.8 grad gpa in public health nutrition. My MCAT score is 14M. Will I have a chance at Scholl? Have anyone with similar stats got accepted into the program?

Thanks in advance!

Hi,

I am interested in applying for podiatry schools for the Fall 2010 entrance. I would like to know what are my chances with my current stats. I have 3.2 undergrad gpa in biochemistry, a 3.8 grad gpa in public health nutrition. My MCAT score is 14M. Will I have a chance at Scholl? Have anyone with similar stats got accepted into the program?

Thanks in advance!
Yes, Mandy, I would like to know the honest answer to this as well. Because if a second attempt 14 gets this guy in, I definitely want nothing to do with podiatry. Just on principle. Forever.

Yes, Mandy, I would like to know the honest answer to this as well. Because if a second attempt 14 gets this guy in, I definitely want nothing to do with podiatry. Just on principle. Forever.
Many people get in with low stats. Some make it through, and others don't. Get off your high horse.

Mandy,
I have just recently submitted my AACPMAS e-application with Shroll being on the list. In your opinion, do you feel I will be considered for an interview?

Undergrad GPA- 3.3 overall with science of a 3.15

Masters of Anatomy degree from Penn State Milton S. Hershey College of Medicine this May with a 3.2 gpa there. At PSUCOM I took gross anatomy, embryology, histology, neuroanatomy, biochemistry and physiology with the first and second year medical students. Also, I was asked to be an anatomy teaching assistant for the first year medical students this past fall.

Lots of extracurriculars and shadowing experience
2 years of wound healing research

The kicker is a low MCAT of a 21S. :mad:

Any thoughts would be appreciated. Have a great day!

Hi Schankey37,

I'm glad to hear that you are considering Scholl College! With the research currently being conducted at CLEAR, I think you'll find Scholl is a great place to continue conducting your wound healing research. We offer the only study abroad option for students in pod med with our MSc in Wound Healing and Tissue Repair dual degree program with Cardiff University in Wales!

I honestly believe it will be the level of detail you've chosen to disclose about your extra-curricular activities and research background that will make you competitive for an interview. Keep in mind, it's not just about what you've done or for how long you've done it -- being able to speak and/or write about your activites is crucial in presenting yourself in an app. Meticulous record keeping is also a part of this process. Don't be afraid to tell me that you just spent one afternoon volunteering in a clinic or homeless shelter -- bc if you leave that time spent spection blank, I assume you didn't get very much out of the experience!

I hope to see you at an interview with Scholl this spring!

Mandy

Hi Mandy,

Thank you for answering all our questions. I was wondering if it was a big deal that I use one of my letters from April 2008. I wanted to get this letter udpated, but its proving difficult to get in touch with her. Also, I am not in school anymore, so to get to her office, I would have to go back to campus, which is far and try to catch her in her officer. She hasn't responded to any of my emails. She just had a baby, so I can see her being extremely busy.

My other two letters are brand new. Do you think it would be ok to use one old letter? Thanks.

Hi HTsunami,

I actually had to call Kim to get an answer for this one... and Kim says: "A letter that is roughly 12 months old at the time of application is fine when paired with newer letters. It's when they are 2, 3 and 5 years old that they no longer acurately reflect who you are..."

So, I think as long as your newer letters are reflecting what your current skills and abilities are, go ahead with the older letter.

Good luck!
Mandy

Hi,

Thanks in advance!

Hi AConfusedPerson,

My best suggestion to you is to think seriously about re-taking the MCAT in the spring. My AC is very concerned about scores less than 20/21, so a 14 is well below that threshold. The good news is that I've seen many candidates with 14/15 score on the first attempt surge to +5 or 6 points on the second exam. Part of this has to do with test anxiety and test familiarity. If you struggle with test anxiety, seek help from trained counselors at your college who can give you advice for calming techniques before and during the exam.

The unfortunate aspect of a career in a health occupation, and pod med specifically, is that you will be asked to take standardized tests for the rest of your career to become licensed, stay licensed and seek additional training/certifications. If you are struggling at the admissions level with standardized exams, we have to be concerned about your ability to pass each of our graduation requirements: passing NPMB parts I and II.

Good luck - and make sure to list your retake date on your application so that we know what your intent is for the spring!

Mandy

On Jan. 16, the 23rd annual “Dance for Diabetes” gala was held at the Millennium Knickerbocker Hotel in downtown Chicago. Scholl College students planned the event with assistance from an all-University student committee. Chair of the event was Natalie Czupryna, second-year Scholl College student.

More than $21,000 for the American Diabetes Association was raised. This amount is the most donated since Scholl College merged with Rosalind Franklin University.

The evening featured a reception, silent auction, dinner, dance auction and dancing. Silent auction items included gifts from local businesses and many others made or donated by Rosalind Franklin University students or their families.

At the sold out event were 355 people, including 274 students and their guests, and 81 administration, faculty, staff members and their guests.

Click here to see photos taken by Sascha Hedjbeli of students, faculty and staff. (or http://fyiemessage.shutterfly.com/dancefordiabetes09 if the hyperlink doesn't work).

I am continually amazed by my students' and their capacity for community involvement, outreach and having a good time!

All the best,
Mandy

Members don't see this ad :)
On Jan. 16, the 23rd annual “Dance for Diabetes” gala was held at the Millennium Knickerbocker Hotel in downtown Chicago. Scholl College students planned the event with assistance from an all-University student committee. Chair of the event was Natalie Czupryna, second-year Scholl College student.

More than $21,000 for the American Diabetes Association was raised. This amount is the most donated since Scholl College merged with Rosalind Franklin University.

The evening featured a reception, silent auction, dinner, dance auction and dancing. Silent auction items included gifts from local businesses and many others made or donated by Rosalind Franklin University students or their families.

At the sold out event were 355 people, including 274 students and their guests, and 81 administration, faculty, staff members and their guests.

Click here to see photos taken by Sascha Hedjbeli of students, faculty and staff. (or http://fyiemessage.shutterfly.com/dancefordiabetes09 if the hyperlink doesn't work).

I am continually amazed by my students' and their capacity for community involvement, outreach and having a good time!

All the best,
Mandy

Looks like a good time, can't wait to get involved next year!

Hi Schankey37,

I'm glad to hear that you are considering Scholl College! With the research currently being conducted at CLEAR, I think you'll find Scholl is a great place to continue conducting your wound healing research. We offer the only study abroad option for students in pod med with our MSc in Wound Healing and Tissue Repair dual degree program with Cardiff University in Wales!

Mandy,
I was wondering if you could give me a little more information about this program?

Thank you!

Mandy,
I was wondering if you could give me a little more information about this program?

Thank you![/QUOTE]

Certainly!

The MSc is an unique study-abroad program has been designed for exceptional students (SCPM GPA requirement to apply in the P2 year) who are interested in pursuing a joint program between Cardiff University and Scholl College. Cardiff is a premier university in Wales and is the only college to offer the MSc. in Tissue Repair and Wound Healing. Additional details on the program may be found on Cardiff University's website at: http://www.whru.co.uk/cnt/proprint.asp

The pursuit of the Cardiff Master’s in Wound Healing typically occurs in the P2-P3 years of training, and includes a combination of didactic and online coursework. During the two years of study at Cardiff, students are required to complete four weeks of in-classroom study...at Cardiff's campus.

All clinical work to support the Master’s thesis is conducted at the Scholl Foot and Ankle Center, under the supervision of CLEAR faculty. Clinical research and data analysis may be extended into the residency years in order to complete your thesis.

The opportunity to earn a Master’s in Wound Healing through this unique program is just one more way that Scholl College continues to supplement the traditional knowledge and practice of a DPM with innovative, relevant training.

The program is also offered in certificate form if you are unable to complete the clinic research thesis.. so you can get credit for the work you do complete.

Students interested in the program should contact Dr. Stephanie Wu, DPM, MSc [email protected]. I strongly urge you to contact Dr Wu... she is a superstar in Pod Med and can speak to you for hours about this program!

Let me know if you have any other questions!

TGIF everyone!

Scholl College will be hosting a Regional Interview in Newark, NJ on Monday, May 24th at hotel near Newark International airport.

In response to an overwhelming number of applicants from the East Coast, Scholl College will bring a team of faculty and admissions staff to students currently living in or from schools in Eastern states.

Candidates for admissions to Scholl College will be offered a seat for the Regional Interview Day along with normally scheduled Interview Days hosted on the North Chicago Campus. Candiates for admissions may choose to attend either an on- or off-campus interview as it suits them best.

Regional Interviews are not new for Scholl College. In the mid-90’s, Regional Interviews were standard practice for the college’s faculty and staff. Last year, the College provided a regional interview for Eastern states candidates and the response was overwhelming for the option.

Candidates who choose to participate in the Regional Interview can expect an information session with admissions staff (you guessed it, me!)prior to the start of the panel interview. A follow up Q&A session will be offered at the conclusion of the faculty interview. A virtual tour of campus will be given for students interested in participating.

Let me know if you have any questions!
Mandy

Mandy,
I was wondering how often Scholl reviewed applications? I ask because on Monday my application was verified and submitted by AACPMAS to the schools I designated. I am beginning to hear back from a few schools but I really want to hear from Scholl. Thanks so much!

Mandy,
I was wondering how often Scholl reviewed applications? I ask because on Monday my application was verified and submitted by AACPMAS to the schools I designated. I am beginning to hear back from a few schools but I really want to hear from Scholl. Thanks so much!

Hi Schankey,

I know it's nerve-wracking, isn't it?!?! Most of the time, we take anywhere from 36 to 72 hours to get back to candidates with complete files... so, you'll need to also confirm with our office that we aren't missing your LORs.

Basically, our process is this: The AC meets weekly. Most weeks this occurs on Fridays. Decisions about interview and accept are made on Friday afternoons and Kim and I process those decision throughout the next week. Invitations to interview are typically our first priority so that students, like you, have time to schedule interviews. Next we process accepted decisions and get that information out to candidates so they can make final decisions. All other decisions like hold, deny, etc are processed last each week.

Holidays and faculty meetings can alter our schedule A LOT... (herding faculty is very similar to herding cats!), but we're always trying to push files as fast as we can... we know there is a lot of competition for your time and resources for interview. I want to make sure that every candidate who is looking at Scholl is given an fair and timely review.

So, with a file complete on a Monday you may have not been reviewed in committee yet... but check to make sure we have your letters and your fiile is being considered for this weeks committee meeting!

Hope that helps!
Mandy

Mandy,
I just double checked my interfolio account and the letters of recommendation were shipped Tuesday morning from Interfolio to Scholl. Since they are coming from the Washington, D.C. area, I hope they reach Scholl by Friday morning so that I can be complete and reviewed. Thanks for all your help.

Also, If we participate in a volunteer activity post submission of our AACPMAS is it possible/acceptable for a student to send a letter to admissions with an update about what they were involved in as to be added to their file?

Mandy,
I just double checked my interfolio account and the letters of recommendation were shipped Tuesday morning from Interfolio to Scholl. Since they are coming from the Washington, D.C. area, I hope they reach Scholl by Friday morning so that I can be complete and reviewed. Thanks for all your help.

Also, If we participate in a volunteer activity post submission of our AACPMAS is it possible/acceptable for a student to send a letter to admissions with an update about what they were involved in as to be added to their file?

You are most welcome to send an "update" letter directly to our office to add materials to your file. The best way to get materials into your file is send it to us by email: [email protected] or [email protected].

Kim checks Interfolio before each AC meeting, so, fingers crossed, you'll be reviewed this week!

Scholl College will be hosting a second Regional Interview in San Diego, CA on Friday, May 21st at hotel near the San Diego International airport.

In response an immediate interest in the eastern states Regional Interview Day, Scholl College will bring a team of faculty and admissions staff to students currently living or from schools in southwestern states.

Candidates for admissions to Scholl College will be offered a seat for the Regional Interview Day along with normally scheduled Interview Days hosted on the North Chicago Campus. Candidates for admissions may choose to attend either an on- or off-campus interview as it suits them best.

Regional Interviews are not new for Scholl College. In the mid-90’s, Regional Interviews were standard for the college’s faculty and staff. Last year, the College provided a regional interview for Eastern states candidates and the response was overwhelming for the option. We know travel can be especially expensive for candidates considering Scholl College. Travel costs should not be prohibitive for excellent candidates considering Scholl College.

Candidates who choose to participate in the Regional Interview can expect an information session with admissions staff prior to the start of the panel interview. A follow up Q&A session will be offered at the conclusion of the faculty interview. A virtual tour of campus will be given for students interested in participating.

Hey everyone!! Scholl College has a tremendous travel schedule for the next few weeks. Here are some of the places we're headed:

Michigan (MSU, EMU, Albion and Kalamazoo College) Feb 17-19
Illinois (Lake Forest College and Loyola) Feb 16, 19 and 23
Colorado (UC) Feb 23-24
Utah (BYU) Feb 25-26
Texas (TAMU, UTSA, UT) March 1-4
Arizona (ASU) March 2
Indiana (IU) March 3
Michigan (UM) March 10
AED Conference, Tampa FL March 18-20
Florida (FAU) March 22
Illinois (CSU and Benedictine) March 23-24
Alabama (UAB) March 26
North Carolina (UNC, NC State and Duke) March 29-30

Are you interested in meeting with an admissions person while we are traveling to your neck of the woods? Call the office of admissions at 800-843-3059 to set up an appointment!

Hi Mandy,

What is the last Mcat test date Scholl accept for 2010 admission cycle?

Hi Mandy,

What is the last Mcat test date Scholl accept for 2010 admission cycle?

Hi PodDPM,

For students interested in applying for fall 2010 (class of 2014), the MCAT must be taken prior May 30, 2010 (which means that the exam offered on the 27th is just fine!). Exams may not be older than three years at the time of matriculation, either (so not older than Aug 2007).

Students who find themselves in this situation will want to make certain the rest of their application materials are already in our office when your official score becomes available at the end of April so that there is no additional delay in reviewing your application!

Let me know if you have any other questions!

Best,
Mandy

Greetings all,

I wanted to take some time to talk about a subject that rears its ugly head each spring. I almost dread answering my phone for that it will be someone asking, “Does Scholl College accept transfer applications?”

Your choice of podiatry school each year should be driven by several factors: board passing rates, PM&S 36 placement rates and financial aid default rate are hopefully leading the conversation. However, there are a whole slew of other factors that are, in this writer’s opinion, are equally important. Location, size of campus and size of your class, and will you have access to the services and opportunities that will make you successful? Is there free tutoring? Are there enough clubs and organizations that interest you? Are there opportunities for involvement in political action campaigns? Research support? Study abroad opportunities… this list is endless! Answer these questions for yourself and likely you will be happy with your choice for the rest of your professional career.

But, students are often influenced by opinions of others...resulting in a “bad decision” for themselves. Regret is an ugly feeling for a student who discovers they have not made a good decision for their professional future. Take the time needed to evaluate all of your options in context of your dreams, desires and needs.

Now, back to our caller’s question: Does Scholl College accept transfer applications? Yes, we do; but it won’t come easy!

Most students who apply for transfer at Scholl College will lose class ranking – your podiatry GPA does not transfer to our institution. Some students will lose credits in the transfer process in some cases; this can add an extra year (of tuition, too!) to your education as you make up our P1 courses you’ve missed by not starting with Scholl originally. You’ll most certainly miss out on Scholl’s second year half-tuition scholarship opportunities, as you apply for these in the spring of your P1 year. It’s a very costly endeavor… and not to be entered into lightly.

From time to time, situations arise that make transfer requests legitimate, so we do accommodate students who have no alternative but to request a transfer evaluation. Spouses get transferred, housing markets crash – get you my meaning.

Scholl College will work with candidates for transfer who:
1. have previously enrolled at a college of podiatric medicine,
2. have earned a 3.0 gpa while enrolled at the college of pod med,
3. can provide a positive letter of recommendation from the dean of students at the college of pod me they’ve previously attended
AND
4. who meet the minimum entry level requirements of the incoming, entering SCPM class.

That’s right. Your first step as a transfer student is to apply as a P1 student! This means your UG GPA, sGPA and MCAT are part of that process. If you were admitted to another college with another entrance exam, you’ll have to take the MCAT. Letters of recommendation from science faculty, advisors and a DPM are also required.

Once our AC determines they are interested in you as a P1 candidate, you’ll complete the interview process and wait to see if you are awarded a seat in the P1 class.

Next, you’ll submit a transfer evaluation application. This document is only available to candidates who have been admitted to our program and are seeking a transfer evaluation. The evaluation is done by each Department Chair – not by the admissions office. This process can take up to 4-6 weeks to complete. Once a “placement” determination has been made to the office of admissions, the dean must approve the placement – with space availability only (again, this often still a P1 advanced standing placement, despite your standing at your current school.). Finally, an offer is made to the student.

Perhaps now you can understand why we ask transfer students to apply prior to May 1st! The process is very lengthy and detailed. Unfortunately, in many cases, the best advising I can give is to tell the student to simply stay where you are enrolled and seek to become competitive for a residency in Chicago or the tri-state area. I don’t mean to discourage candidates from asking the question, but often my answer is not what the student is hoping to hear.

I hope this helps to shed some light on the subject of transferring to Scholl College! I encourage you to examine what you desire to achieve as a podiatric medical school student. As always, if you have any questions – let me know!

Mandy

Hi All,
Ever wonder what happens to students who participate in research at Scholl College? Well, besides getting to do cool things like present at the Gait2010 Congress http://rfupodiatry.com/wordpress/?p=200, most of our students will participate in the 2010 All School Research Consortium. Here's what their day looks like:

The 5th annual All-School Research Consortium will be taking place TOMORROW (March 17th) from 12-6 PM in the Student Union/HSB Lobby. There will be a keynote speaker session, student poster talk presentations and a student talk symposium. This event is a great opportunity to learn more about all the reseach projects of our diverse student body. This year's keynote talk will be delivered by Dr. Jeffrey P Sutton, Director of National Space Biomedical Research Institute (Houston, TX). The title of Dr. Sutton's talk is "Space Biomedical Research and Discovery". Please mark your calendars for this exciting research day, we look foward to seeing you there!

Schedule of Events

9am – Noon
Poster Set Up (All posters must be up by noon) – Location: HSB Lobby and Student Union

Noon – 1pm
Lunch for Speakers/Participants/Judges/Administration – Location: Student Union

1pm - 2pm
Keynote Speaker: Dr. Jeffrey P. Sutton, MD, Ph.D., Director of National Space Biomedical Research Institute, Houston, TX
Keynote Title: Space Biomedical Research and Discovery

2:15pm - 3:15pm
Student Poster Presentation and Judging

3:30pm – 4:15pm
HSB 1.706: Student Talks – Session 1A
HSB 1.702: Student Talks – Session 2A

4:15pm - 4:30pm
Coffee Break – Location: HSB 1st Floor hallway between student talk rooms

4:30pm - 5:15pm
HSB 1.706: Student Talks – Session 1B
HSB 1.702: Student Talks – Session 2B

5:15pm - 6:00pm
Reception and Awards – Location: Student Union/HSB Lobby

Feel like getting involved in NIH funded research fellowships: ask me about being a student at Scholl College!

Let me know if you have any questions.
Mandy

Hi Mandy
If I get an invitation for an interview, is it possible to do the interview over the phone? This is late in the semester and the final exams are coming up, so going to Chicago for the interview will be kind of hard.
One more question, will you consider my application complete without the letter from the podiatrist? I have asked a podiatrist to write me a letter but I think it will take him a few more weeks. Do you think I will be really late if it take two more weeks for the letter?
Thanks

Hi Mandy
If I get an invitation for an interview, is it possible to do the interview over the phone? This is late in the semester and the final exams are coming up, so going to Chicago for the interview will be kind of hard.
One more question, will you consider my application complete without the letter from the podiatrist? I have asked a podiatrist to write me a letter but I think it will take him a few more weeks. Do you think I will be really late if it take two more weeks for the letter?
Thanks

:confused: I know this question was not intended for me, but seriously? You are applying to a graduate level program. I'm pretty sure if you really want to get in to podiatry school, then you can make the sacrifice to take some time to go interview at the school. If not, you might want to consider if this type of thing is right for you. Going to interviews is hard for everyone.

Hi everyone,

My name is Mandy and I work for Scholl College in the office of admissions. I wanted to post here to see if I can help answer questions as you begin the application process.

What I intend to do is provide real and honest answers for students going through the application process – or investigating the career choice! What I won't do is speak about any of the other colleges or programs; nor will I help you rank the colleges. This is the research you will have to do on your own.

Let me know how I can help!

Cheers,
Mandy
Student Recruitment
Scholl College
www.RFUpodiatry.com

Is this dr. scholl's school?

Hi Mandy
Thanks

Hi FutureFootDoc,

Yep... that's why we call 'em In Person Interviews! You've actually got to come! But, as incentive, it was 80 in North Chicago today! Breezy and sunny. It's nice to be home and back in the office for a few days!

Mandy

Is this dr. scholl's school?

Hi PCOMMA,

To be more specific, I represent the Dr William M Scholl College of Podiatric Medicine at Rosalind Franklin University in North Chicago, IL (whew! that's a mouthful!)

Is there something I can help you with?

Mandy

Good Morning All,

Rosalind Franklin University is proud to announce the first annual Open House on May 7th from 12-4PM on it's North Chicago campus located at 3333 Green Bay Road, North Chicago, IL 60064!

Come learn about all of the programs and degrees offered by the Scholl College of Podiatric Medicine, Chicago Medical School, the College of Health Professions and the Graduate School!

Hear from faculty about Interprofessional education, tour the Clinical Gross Anatomy labs and meet current students.

Rosalind Franklin University trains world class leaders in medicine, basic science, physical and clinical therapies, healthcare management and much more! Our state of the art facilities offers an integrated curriculum, where students train side by side with their colleagues - both in lecture and in lab. This education philosophy will prepare you wll for real-life situation where you will work as part of the healthcare team!

I look forward to meeting you then!
Questions? Let me know!
Mandy

Good Morning All,

Just a friendly reminder that Scholl College takes individual advising appointments for interested or curious students from May to September! We take appointments most Mondays to Fridays at either 10AM or 2PM.

Students visiting with individual appointment can bring unofficial transcripts for a pre-req review (or help choosing courses to complete pre-reqs), information about the 4 year program and a tour of campus (usually, with a current student!).

Call (847-578-8400) or email ([email protected]) to set up your appointment. Unfortunately, I discourage "dropping in" as I can never promise that Kim and I are available every day at 10 and 2!

Can't make it to Chicago for an in person visit? No problem! Just call our office if you have any questions - We're here to help!

In the Pacific Northwest? I'll be at U Montana, BYU-I, Idaho State, U Oregon, Western Washington U, U Washington and Seattle Pacific U over the next two weeks! Email me to set up an appointment while I am in your area... I'd be happy to meet you at a local coffee shop or on campus to chat about podiatry, Scholl College and living in Chicago!

See you on the road or on campus!
Mandy

Hi guys,

For those of you who follow this thread regularly, you can find, friend or follow me at a variety of places:

My Blog: http://rfupodiatry.com/wordpress/
Twitter: @SchollAdmission
Facebook (or join the group!): http://www.facebook.com/group.php?gid=13393953162
And, on YouTube: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CbAf3xhqsZI

I'll be posting some great video content in the next few days/weeks... so add me to your news reader so you don't miss something!

Let me know if you have any questions!
Mandy

Seems like the time of year to poke a little fun at ourselves... new video content has been posted to my blog! Check it out and add me to your news feeder so you don't miss new content (and I've got some good stuff up my sleeve!)

http://rfupodiatry.com/wordpress/?p=234

Also - are you a student at BYUI? We'll see you this afternoon in Brother McBride's class or at 5PM in a presentation for the pre-pod club!

Mandy

Hi everyone,
After many months of wondering, I am thrilled to announce that Dr Nancy Parsley will become the first female dean of a college of podiatric medicine on July 1, 2010.

For more about her background, please see: http://rfupodiatry.com/wordpress/?p=241

Feel free to leave a comment or two welcoming Dr Parsley to her new role at Scholl College!

Best,
Mandy

Hi all.. just updated our blog site with a new video from YouTube. Need a break from finals? Check this one out! http://rfupodiatry.com/wordpress/

For those of you in WA State, I'm in town until Thursday morning... I'll be at SPU this morning and at UW tomorrow afternoon!

See you there!
Mandy

YES! I am looking forward to talk to you tomorrow afternoon at UW. Thanks

Greetings all!
I hope that finals are almost over, that your graduation cap and gown have been ordered and that you are looking forward to a wonderful summer!
I wanted to alert you to two major changes in the admissions process to a college of podiatric medicine:
Effective immediately, no college will invite an applicant to interview until a COMPLETED AACPMAS application is available. A completed application is defined as an AACPMAS application with verified grades.
Secondly, colleges are able to interview an applicant without receipt of an official standardized test score. NO admissions actions will be taken PRIOR to the receipt of an OFFICIAL standardized test score. For MCAT scores, an official MCAT score is accepted ONLY through the AACPMAS program.
Let me know if you have any questions about how this might affect your application, specifically now or for next fall. If you want to know a little bit about these two changes and how they affect the business practices of Scholl's Office of Admissions, read my full article at http://rfupodiatry.com/wordpress/?p=282
Cheers,
Mandy

Greetings all!
I hope that finals are almost over, that your graduation cap and gown have been ordered and that you are looking forward to a wonderful summer!
I wanted to alert you to two major changes in the admissions process to a college of podiatric medicine:
Effective immediately, no college will invite an applicant to interview until a COMPLETED AACPMAS application is available. A completed application is defined as an AACPMAS application with verified grades.
Secondly, colleges are able to interview an applicant without receipt of an official standardized test score. NO admissions actions will be taken PRIOR to the receipt of an OFFICIAL standardized test score. For MCAT scores, an official MCAT score is accepted ONLY through the AACPMAS program.
Let me know if you have any questions about how this might affect your application, specifically now or for next fall. If you want to know a little bit about these two changes and how they affect the business practices of Scholl's Office of Admissions, read my full article at http://rfupodiatry.com/wordpress/?p=282
Cheers,
Mandy

So if I read the link right, does this mean DAT scores are no longer accepted? I know Scholl does not accept the DAT but im curious about the 2-3 schools that still do. Thanks for this link by the way.

Mandy,

Do all your pre-reqs have to be verified? I was hoping to apply at the end of this year, but I would still need to take Orgo II in the spring for Fall 2011 admission.

So if I read the link right, does this mean DAT scores are no longer accepted? I know Scholl does not accept the DAT but im curious about the 2-3 schools that still do. Thanks for this link by the way.

Hi dyk343,

Sorry for the misunderstanding; for Scholl College, the candidate will not be considered for admissions until the official MCAT is received (correct, this is the only exam we accept - therefore I only wrote about the MCAT). You'll need to check with the other colleges to see if the DAT is still an acceptable exam!
Mandy

Mandy,

Do all your pre-reqs have to be verified? I was hoping to apply at the end of this year, but I would still need to take Orgo II in the spring for Fall 2011 admission.

Hi Deeper1,

A verified application means that you have submitted your official transcripts to the application service and that that independent agency has verified that what you list on your application matches what is on the official transcrips.

Many applicants will still have course work in progress at the time of application -- and that has no impact on the verification process or the delivery of your verified application.

Does that help? Let me know if you still have questions!

Mandy

Mandy,

Thanks for your response. Am I right in assuming then that all podiatry schools will no longer provide conditional acceptances then? By the time I apply this December, I will have all my pre-reqs except organic chemistry II and I don't have a firm date on the MCAT; I'll probably take it in the winter (Jan. or Feb.). So, I'm basically looking at finishing everything in spring 2011. I'm guessing then that the schools would have to await my final chemistry grade in May before deciding on my denial or acceptance? As you probably can tell I'm pretty dead set on trying to get in next summer so I don't have to wait an extra year.

Mandy,

Thanks for your response. Am I right in assuming then that all podiatry schools will no longer provide conditional acceptances then? By the time I apply this December, I will have all my pre-reqs except organic chemistry II and I don't have a firm date on the MCAT; I'll probably take it in the winter (Jan. or Feb.). So, I'm basically looking at finishing everything in spring 2011. I'm guessing then that the schools would have to await my final chemistry grade in May before deciding on my denial or acceptance? As you probably can tell I'm pretty dead set on trying to get in next summer so I don't have to wait an extra year.

Hi Deeper1,

Based on your statement "I don't have a firm date for my MCAT" leads me to say this: no college of podiatric medicine will be able to offer you an acceptance prior to the receipt of your official MCAT score based on this new rule.

But, before you begin to panic.. I'm not so much worried about the applicants who will apply in Jan and also take the exam in Jan. I'm thinking those students will be okay (enough of Scholl's process happens between Jan and March that getting scores in Feb will simply mean we process A LOT of decisions at the end of Feb and beginning of March.)

My concern is for those who still plan to take the spring MCAT and apply in Jan - March... we won't have scores for them until June/July and, in some years, our class was full at the end of May.

So, still plan to apply in Jan! And, start making preparations now for the Jan MCAT!

Have a great weekend and let me know if you have any other questions!
Mandy

Mandy,

O.k. that makes sense. I think I will stick to taking the MCAT in the winter. So, what happens then, if I've got my MCAT score, all my transcripts, personal statement, LOR's and everything else is in order except that last grade for my chemistry course? Can they offer an acceptance or give you an idea of where you stand pending that one grade?

Also, out of curiosity will these new rules put more pressure on the admissions departments since, like you mentioned in the scenario below about winter applicants with late spring MCATs, you'll probably be inundated with applicants at the last minute? Isn't April 1st the priority deadline?

This thread has made me feel a lot better. My GPA is 3.8 and my science GPA is a 3.9, BUT my GPA was 2.7-ish. I started college when I was 18 but I didn't care and had no motivation. I passed (somehow) but didn't excel. Then I just got bored and didn't bother with school for 5 or 6 years. After working in health care I knew I found my niche so I got motivated to go back and, do well but I've always felt like those years would be something held against me. I plan to take the MCAT next year and apply then. :xf:

Mandy,

O.k. that makes sense. I think I will stick to taking the MCAT in the winter. So, what happens then, if I've got my MCAT score, all my transcripts, personal statement, LOR's and everything else is in order except that last grade for my chemistry course? Can they offer an acceptance or give you an idea of where you stand pending that one grade?

Also, out of curiosity will these new rules put more pressure on the admissions departments since, like you mentioned in the scenario below about winter applicants with late spring MCATs, you'll probably be inundated with applicants at the last minute? Isn't April 1st the priority deadline?

Hi Deeper1,

My expectation is that Scholl will still offer acceptances to candidates who have a course or two pending at the time of application (or in progress as the case may be most of the time). We look at patterns and project that your grades in your last pre-reqs will mirror the grades of the pre-reqs you have finished. If you read my post, "Grades After Acceptance" (pg 2) you'll see the process we use when looking at IP and PL coursework and pre-reqs!

As far as pressure goes, it simply changes the workflow through our office. In some ways (I was just explaining this to the faculty this morning) it creates less stress for us - no longer does Kim have to track who is pending MCAT, when are we expecting an MCAT score, does it meet the expected score we need to see (and if it doesn't, the stress of potentially revoking our offer of admissions...) etc. If an offer is out, it's complete. THAT, to me, is much more stressful than having to process more offers of admissions in Feb and May!

And, while the waiting might seem awful to you, should also make you less stressed about your pending exam. Now, you can concentrate on doing really well and not worrying that you HAVE to make a certain score in order to maintain your conditional offer of enrollment. Do your best, not what my AC says your best can/should/will be!

This thread has made me feel a lot better. My GPA is 3.8 and my science GPA is a 3.9, BUT my GPA was 2.7-ish. I started college when I was 18 but I didn't care and had no motivation. I passed (somehow) but didn't excel. Then I just got bored and didn't bother with school for 5 or 6 years. After working in health care I knew I found my niche so I got motivated to go back and, do well but I've always felt like those years would be something held against me. I plan to take the MCAT next year and apply then. :xf:

Yeah!!! I'm so glad you feel better and have stopped thinking of yourself as just a set of walking numbers, Epona82!! Tell us this story about yourself in your application... this is exactly what I have been talking about in previous posts. I hope Scholl College is at the top of your "apply to" list now!