Questions about Secondaries

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Melissa

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
I took my MCATs in August so I am just now getting all my secondaries. I have a few questions though. First, most schools only leave a few lines for you to write your responses to the questions. Most schools I called said it was okay to attach additional pages. Do you recommend attaching an additional sheet? And if so how long should I keep my responses? Also, did most of you typr your secondaries on a typewriter or just do it neatly in pen? Any help getting my secondaries done would be very helpful!!

Members don't see this ad.

I attached additional pages rather than trying to type everything on the few lines they give you, but I tried to keep things short. I know I wouldn't want to be reading pages and pages of essays and the adcoms probably don't either. And I would type the applications if you can. It's kind of annoying working with a typewriter, but it looks better and makes everything easier to read. Good luck!

i agree with the poster above...attach sheets if you have to but don't go way overboard. try to be succinct.

here's something i did to get around the typewriter problem. have you ever seen those avery brand mailing labels you can buy for your printer? well, they also have a product that is basically an entire sheet that is a label. follow me? i got sick and tired of typing, erasing, trying to straighten, etc., so i bought a package of those big labels and printed several of my answers on computer. then i just cut, peeled and slapped them into place. they stick fiercely... i tested this one day by carrying one around in my portfolio. i don't think they would unpeel easily and they look pretty good - except for on those pesky blue forms!

good luck.

Members don't see this ad :)
That's for your responses. I am still not sure about the whole typewriter thing. I have really good handwriting. I am going to ask some of the DO's where I volunteer today.

I have another question though. A lot of the schools give you an evaluation form to give to the people writing you letters of recommendations. Did most of you use the form or have them just write a letter on their own letterhead?

Thanks!

Melissa,
All I can say is to make sure you read your application materials VERY, VERY carefully. A couple of my secondaries didn't specify typewritten or handwritten, so I typed to be safe. One said SPECIFICLY to type, and yet another said you could do either (I typed it too). Same with the letters of recommendation...some said you HAD to include their coversheet, others said the recommender could submit on letterhead if they choose. The lesson here is there are no hard, fast rules....each school is different and with all the competition out there, you DON'T want to be the one person who didn't follow the instructions....

I attached sheets, and only put my answers on the attachments (where it allowed). I hate typing on those messed up secondaries! GAWD, THAT PROCESS SUCKS!

------------------
--
KidT
[email protected]