Questions about the DO Match

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

San_Juan_Sun

Professor of Life
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
I tried this on the pre-osteo forum and got no responses. But then I thought, what would a pre DO know about this anyway? :)

Here's my burning question:

I've never really gotten a decent answer to this question, and maybe that's my fault. I know that the DO match is before the MD (a month or so?). If you are applying in both matches, and match DO, you have to go DO. Am I okay so far?

DO can then match into a traditional internship, or a specialty track residency, or whatever. Here's where I get a little fuzzy. If you wanted to match into a DO general surgery program (this is an example BTW) do you have to first apply to a traditional internship? And then the next year, apply for a PGY-2 position? In other words, do you have to, in effect, apply in two matches?

In any case, if I've got something wrong, please correct me. And if you have answers to the questions I have, I thank you in advance.

Members don't see this ad.

I answered your question in the pre-osteo forum. I'm not a pre-DO (I'm an MS-II) so I answered your question the best I could! :D

If you apply to DO and MD matches and match DO you are removed from the MD match. But if your goal is to do GENERAL surgery I don't see why this would matter.

Good luck
Diane

Members don't see this ad :)
Thanks for the reply.

I'm still wondering, how exactly does the DO match work in respect to specialties and internships. Can you match for an internship AND a residency in the same match? If so, does it have to be the same program? Or different programs? or do you have to complete the internship, and then apply for a specialty (thus entering the match in two consecutive years)?

Thanks for your help.

YES for example General surgery incorportated the rotating intership year into residency requirements

i was always under the impression you could match at more than one place. Is this not the case??

Your questions:

"how exactly does the DO match work in respect to specialties and internships. Can you match for an internship AND a residency in the same match?"
Yes. When you apply for a specialty, such as radiology or ER. The PD can accept you, and ask you to do a one year internship first. If you behave yourself well (and if you do not kill too many patients, hahaha), you will automatically advance to the specialty program.

"If so, does it have to be the same program? Or different programs?"
It can be either. I have a friend that does his internship and radiology residency at the same program. I also have a friend that is in a AMA radiology program, but does his internship at a AOA program.

"or do you have to complete the internship, and then apply for a specialty (thus entering the match in two consecutive years)?"
No. Although some people do that, but not out of choice. I have a friend applied for a ER program, but was not accepted. The PD told him that he could do his internship at his hospital, and then apply again next year. My friend impressed the PD very much during the internship year, apply again and got in to the ER program a year later.

I hope it helps. Good luck to you.

GoForIt, thanks for a very good explanation (and thanks to all the others who have helped me figure this out).